Does Caffeine Make You Feel ill?

So topic is caffeine.

I used to take caffeine, coffee, sometimes energy drinks, rarley pre workouts… but with time it started to make me feel nauseous, exhausted and kinda out of breath.

I never mixed anything or ever used insanley high dosages like over 400-500mg. But even single can of Monster energy had me kinda out of breath in abour 1-2 hours after drinking it. Sugarfree stuff with caffeine had same results also.

I stopped caffeine completley, in few days I had more apetite, slept around 7 hours on average (I slept 5-6 hours on average before that) and soon I had even more energy and felt better.

I started again by just drinking black tea in the morning - few days it was OK, later I was again feeling bad. I also noticed that drinking Coca Cola affects me - then I found out it also contains caffeine…

Anyways I eventually started to sleep even more, and I’m eating more than before aswell and I never had more energy trough my days and I’m mentally in much better shape too.

So what are yours opinion on caffeine? Am I simply intolerant or it’s just shitty thing anyways?

Everyone is different on this. I have 1-2 cups of coffee a day and I’m fine, but if the second cup comes even early afternoon I can have harder time sleeping. I cannot handle “energy drinks”, which add copious amounts of isolated caffeine to sugar (or artificial sweetener) and a myriad of other things. I would stick with naturally occurring caffeinated beverages: coffee, tea, yerba mate; especially given your history of some sensitivity.

I gave up on caffeine completley since I see I’m better without it. I like the way how it is right now, even tho sleeping 9 hours a day takes away some of my time, I definitley think it’s worth it.

I like coffee and tea, but not so much on the energy drinks. Too much of any will make me nauseous, anxious and generally over stimulated.

But then if you don’t need it and are better off without, why bother?

I get no effect from caffeine. Nothing at all.

One time I even did the stupidest thing and worked up to 800 mg at once. Still, nothing.

I’m just asking if anyone else has the same problem.

Because I get lots of raised eyebrows from people when I tell them that I don’t drink coffee, and especially from gym bros when I tell them I completley avoid caffeine. So many people can’t function without it that they find it unreal that someone’s avoiding it.

My current opinion on caffeine is that it’s cheap crappy thing. It’s basically everywhere, in almoust every pre workout and intra workout, and basically every energy and/or focus booster. I even saw proteins with caffeine added which I find odd.
In short - it makes your body think it has energy while it actually doesn’t, prevents you from having a good rest, boosts up your cortisole and stress levels. It doesn’t really give you any energy, it just blocks your adenosine receptors from detecting adenosine so you think you aren’t tired.
And I get flamed by people when I tell them that. LOL

I can handle caffeine however, I am positive that there is something in monsters/rock stars that mess me up. I would only get the sugar free and hours after drinking I would feel irritable and kind of depressed. It could last a couple days.

1 Like

Yeah, those 2 are also the ones to mess me up the worst.

Not to be mistaken - even coffee and black tea mess me up a bit, but those 2 are the worst.

I was having a similar issue. Even 150 mg of caffeine was making me feel nauseas and sick.

I started to use very small amounts, but only when I worked out. Now Ive worked up to about 150-200mg when I take it for pre workout. I don’t do it everyday though.

Well, I’m more sensitive than you then I guess.

Even as little as 50 mg is enough for me to make me feel exhausted and kinda out of breath. Just I don’t get it then how I didn’t had issues like that before.

I just resorted to sleeping more, even though too much sleep does make me tired. But I sometimes use something sugary to boost myself up.

My brother and I are prior service, Hes an LEO now. We took different path’s regarding caffeine. I rarely used it, usually when working out only. He used it CONSTANTLY. all the time, everyday.

He was telling me how he would drink a monster and then be able to sleep. The doc told him he had adrenal fatigue. Maybe that’s what your experiencing?

I just googled it and it makes sense… I do have a lot of sympthoms.

Just keep in mind that I’m avoiding caffeine completley for a long time now.

But yeah, I see that stress and other stuff could cause it. From situation with job to situation with my family to situation that I’ll have to go to dentist and spend lots of money for a surgery to have new smile (this one is OK but it’s temporary, it’s complicated story just I’ll get permanent solution)… on top of that I’m also probably not mentally healthy…

Someone posted about this recently. Sorry, I can’t recall who it was or I’d tag them.

We have different genes for caffeine metabolism. How you respond to caffeine is likely related to your genetics, and if you are a slow of fast caffeine metabolizer.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/for-coffee-drinkers-the-buzz-may-be-in-your-genes/

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll definitley go trough articles.

As for now, my final decision is goodbye to caffeine. I just wonder if there are other people like me because as I said, people often raise their eyebrows on me when I tell them that I avoid caffeine.

2-3 years backwards I was drinking up to few energy drink cans a day and I was OK until suddenly issues appeared. Then I reduced it at first and soon totally stopped.

Caffeine absolutely fucks me up. One small cup is fine, but if I exceed that I start tweaking out like I’ve bought some fucked up amphetamine from some horrible site on the dark web.

It’s a horrible feeling, and it lasts for AGES. Like a good 8 hours.

Adrenal fatigue takes a LONG time to recover. and if you relapse and use caffeine again. it will take longer.

Yeah. That’s why I’m running away from it like it’s the devil :joy:

And I won’t relapse since I hate this thing right now

You should see my family then.

Up to 4 cups of coffee a day.
And last one is at 7 in the evening. They still sleep no problem. And everyone who was ever guest at our house said my mom’s coffee is way too strong, and some would get shaky hands…

My sis even used guarana pills…

So my whole family is kinda addicted to caffeine. With exception of my dad and few uncles who are drinking alcohol in large quantities.

As for me… I rarley ever have a single drink and caffeine is a NO for me.

i stopped taking cafeine i wasn’t able to sleep at night.

How long did it last?

Did it go away on it’s own or you started to take caffeine again?