T Nation

Does Bodybuilding Make You Shorter?

Before getting all angry at me and saying this is the stupidest question ever, I once thought this is very stupid thing some people tend to ask, and with years of strict training, dieting, supplementation, and using gear, hgh, phs, and slin, believe me I know a thing or 2 about BB but watch this video about phil heath:

phil heath in his younger days when he used to play basketball for denver uni was listed as 5'11.
Now after 6 years of serious bodybuilding his height is measured at 5'9 !! WTF???? Am i getting shorter too?

No, sports statistics are often embellished. It's really that simple.

Ask Iron Dwarf.

Shorter? I should quit while I'm behind.

You could technically say that you do get shorter from lifting weights, but it is not inherently permanent. Your spine does compress from lifting weights; especially from exercises like the squat, deadlift, over head presses, etcetera.

However, it is important to keep in mind that you're slighty shorter also at the end of the day than you are in the morning from typical day to day activities even without weight training. When you sleep your spine decompresses, but with training I would imagine these effects are just amplified.

true, if we are talking about half and inch to even an inch !!! but there is a BIG difference between 5'9 and 5'11 !! its almost the difference between an average person's height to a tall person's height !!

Did you just learn where the exclamation point key is on your keyboard?

Allen Iverson was listed at 6'1 his whole career. He's about 5'9-5'10.

CC Sabathia is listed at 290lbs. He's routinely said that he's over 315lbs (losing weight currently).

Unless you are standing next to the guy with a tape measure what you are reading is as good as valid as a blind guy's assessment of their height.