Does Anyone Think That the Job System is Broken?

With a Concentration in Marketing?

1 Like

I can only speak to the engineering degree, but I disagree as a technical degree like engineering does two main things (imo):

1. Figure out who can be an engineer and who can’t. There were a lot of people who tried but couldn’t cut it. There were specific “weed out” classes that were more challenging. Beyond the challenging classes, it also gave a scale (GPA) of who was better and who was worse at engineering classes, giving an indicator to employers about who would be better at solving related problems they are needing solved.

2. Build problem solving skills with a foundation knowledge in your specialty. Nobody in the workforce is going to expect you to derive a formula, but for my specialty (mechanical) you absolutely need to know how the fundamentals of mechanics, materials, physics, fluids, and electrical systems. I have used my understanding of those many times during my career so far. Now that I am moving away from technical applications probably not as much, but I wouldn’t of even been able to keep up in basic conversations related to those topics without my previous course knowledge.

I will add that I think they can get too theoretical and too specialized, but that is the stuff professors (along with PhD students) get excited about.

Again, I agree with your overall point of degrees not being nearly as valuable as they are sold as, but I think technical degrees still hold a lot of value.

I’m guessing Kinesiology.

Edit: I think @anon50325502 might have said it, but I also think that the time period could cut down by eliminating some of the higher level technical classes and some of the easy random classes the first year. I think you could easily trim a year or 1.5 years out with no “loss” from an education standpoint, but it won’t happen.

3 Likes

Ha! It’s all good. Some MBA’s are fantastic.

College degree gets your foot in the door for many jobs. Lacking one is a non starter for a lot of jobs. It can certainly be tough to compete against people who have your degree plus experience though

March 2nd:
I’m convinced you could cut a 120 credit degree to 60 and probably less. Some of the courses you take are just complete non-sense or wholly irrelevant to your major.

Kids don’t need 4 years to “discover” themselves. It’s utter nonsense.

2 Likes

You guys aren’t kidding about k-12 quality slipping over time. My Grandmother went to a public school in a steel town, graduated in 1956. She was on the “home-ec” (housewife) track.

She had to take courses in Latin, Trigonometry, calculus etc
 even in that track. They didn’t just hand out diplomas for no reason.

2 Likes

Dude, I took 3 gym classes my senior year of high school, Iol. We only had 4 classes a day too (and 2 semesters) so I took gym for the first half of the day for half the year. Then I slept through British literature and I think I had Trig after that. It was pretty glorious.

The job system isn’t broken, people are just better at communicating their complaints to the world than they communicating why they’d be a good employee.

3 Likes

Oh sorry computer networking associates

I guess that the liberal tenured college professors are enjoying the salaries that they make a year while the rest of us (or at least some of us) don’t make nearly as much. Look how much a Dean or president make a year it’s ceazuu

You mean an advanced good-enough-degree?

No an associates degree in computer networking

They don’t look particularily high for a professional to me.

yep, we are on the same page here :wink:

This broke my heart

http://studentdebtcrisis.org/read-student-debt-stories/

It sucks and I am sorry. Yeah, its broken. Until the tide shifts from more jobs than applicants, it’s going to suck. I have been there and I am sorry you are going through this. Just keep truckin’ keep trying and something will give.

1 Like

To be fair, all of the info you needed was at your fingertips. You were just too lazy to research it yourself. This goes for thousands of college grads every year. Hell my sister in law just got a degree only to find there aren’t any jobs in this area for her major yet she refuses to move (she’s an idiot).

Lesson learned though. Trust, but verify.

1 Like

Perhaps but I wanted to know what everyone is going through.

Unfortunately you picked a very easy degree to obtain in a very saturated market where experience is much more important than the degree itself.

Do you by chance live near a large (1M+) city?

My spidey sense is tingling. This wreaks of trolling to me.

Most real posts would be more like “I went to Blahdeblah junior college and got a 3.6 gpa etc. and have my resume on Indeed, Jobbing, etc
 and can’t find work
”

I think someone wants to get us all torqued up about lazy millennials, useless college degrees and what ever else it branches into.

I could be wrong though.

2 Likes