T Nation

Does Anyone Puke From a Workout?

I’ve done it a couple times. It stopped once I started wearing a heartrate monitor on leg days. I started wearing a heartrate monitor when hiking above 10,000’ feet and noticed I couldn’t maintain a good pace.

The monitor told me it was because even maintaining a walking pace uphill with a pack would shoot my heartrate into the 170’s. That gave me the idea to wear it on leg days. First day I did it I maintained my normal routine and noticed my heartrate was getting just over 170 after a set, dropping to 140 before starting the next set, and hitting 180 by the end of that set…which would cause me to feel lightheaded.

Now I aim for just over 160 at the end of a set, then don’t start the next set till I’m back below 130. Often times my legs feel like they can do much more when the monitor tells me my heart is already maxed out.

I came pretty close to losing it on my last 4x12 squat session. I’ve thrown up twice, I think, but I had headaches both times. I’ve never been in physically good status and induced vomiting from the intensity of my effort.

I think a lot of people have different ‘gut tolerances’ too. To say I don’t push myself to the brink whenever possible (use of a spotter and such) because I don’t vomit is stupid to say. OP, you’ve clearly pushed yourself too.

I think a lot of the ‘spleen on the wall’ allusions in these TMuscle articles are just for dramatic illustration. If you don’t expend sufficient effort in the gym, I think reading that can give you a good idea of what to strive for, but if you do, then you know you’ll barely be able to breathe and may vomit, but only sometimes.

is it just me or does anyone else think the small and weak people here are trying to act proud of the fact that they’ve “puked” or “come close to puking”, as if it makes up for the fact that they’re still small and weak after several years of training.

I have twice because I wasn’t used to getting up at 5 am and lifting at 6:30am.

i cosntantly puke outta my ass, not my mouth tho…

its simple, pound a gallon of milk before leg day and youll puke. anyone then can puke from a workout… seeing stars should be the true marker in how hard you are going.

yes - but it was due to certain supplement i took before working out…and then drinking the night before and hitting legs the next morning

Seriously jtg, that girl in your avatar is amazing. I am stalking your posts just so I can look at her.

I have had the sensation a few times, never have puked, and honestly, if you are puking, why arent you covering your mouth 100% and swalloning the puke back, its your food!?

I have puked on numerous occasions after pushing myself too hard. I rarely do nowadays since I can feel the symptoms coming on and I’ll back off a bit so as not to hurl. I remember pushing myself playing hockey to where I was puking too. I also get the runs after a particularly tough session in the gym. One puke-inducing workout that I’ve done in the past that comes to mind is the 30 minute challenge.

Pullups â?? 5 reps
Jumps â?? 10 reps
Close-grip Pushups â?? 15 reps
Walking Lunges â?? 10 reps (do both sides to equal 1 rep)
Chin-ups â?? 5 reps
Mountain Climbers â?? 10 reps (do both sides to equal 1 rep)
Inverted Rows â?? 10 reps
1-Leg Deadlift â?? 10 reps (do both sides to equal 1 rep)
Bicycle Crunch â?? 25 reps (do both sides to equal 1 rep)
Step-ups â?? 15 reps
Decline Pushups â?? 10 reps

Repeat as many times as you can in 30 minutes. I got up to 8 1/2 sets. I used to do it for my cardio day. I would literally have to wring out my shirt twice during that 30 minutes and I would feel like puking during the entire last set.

Nope, but I come close when doing metabolic pairings workout, or Ross’s Interval Challenge (4 circuits of 12 burpees, 24 push-ups, 36 squats, 400m run).

I find puking mostly happens in cardio intensive activities. When I was competing in Rowing, puking was a fairly common occurence. I believe it’s the acid that accumulates in the system

The only time I’ve ever come close to puking is doing front squats, on an empty stomach, with 3 hours of sleep, while being sick. In short, it’s pretty tough to puke from weights.

[quote]O Doyle_Rulez wrote:
is it just me or does anyone else think the small and weak people here are trying to act proud of the fact that they’ve “puked” or “come close to puking”, as if it makes up for the fact that they’re still small and weak after several years of training.[/quote]

Tell that to all the guys at West Side, Elite FTS, De’s, and all the other gyms were you’ll see puking as a constant action.

Puking is not a sign of toughness, yeah you pushed yourself farther than you should have. But sometimes pushing a truck for a couple hundred yards, no matter how tough you are, you might just puke.

If I feel the urge, I sit down until it goes away - usually a couple of minutes. Quite a bit of dry heaving.

I did a workout once where I struggled the whole time to not puke. Driving back home…everything came up, and I couldn’t exactly stop driving right there and then.

Oh man I would of loved to know what other drivers were thinking when I was hurling out my window(and all over myself) while driving. It must of been fucking hilarious. It was mostly water though, but it still had that sticky feeling to it like snot.

Fuck I hate puking though. A total waste of effort eating only to bring it back up, so I make sure I keep it down.

I used to get sick nosebleeds from squating and deadlifting. Not much puking though.

Puked the first time the other day but probably cos of the shake before hand. Woke up late so slammed a shake and did legs. On hack squats, i couldnt do anymore reps, but then just closed my eyes and did one, then another till i did another six, tried to do hammies but felt ill.

Pulled up at the closest park as i left, power-yacked 4 times, protein water mixed with peanuts. Delicious!

i threw up a couple days ago.

i come close every time i train though. that’s just what happens when you have a shake not only before but during your sessions…plus waxy maize … plus red bull

I have puked and dry heaved a few times, the room in my gym where we do legs is also always hot as hell so I think that always plays a major part in that though.

I’ve come close once or twice when doing squats and deads but its never actually happened. Not yet anyway.

[quote]paul496 wrote:
I have had the sensation a few times, never have puked, and honestly, if you are puking, why arent you covering your mouth 100% and swalloning the puke back, its your food!? [/quote]

When I puke, I puke hard. Every time I puke, it always comes out my nose also just because my body hates me and wants me to suffer.