Does any one still use flax?

I was going to respond to this question with a big fat “Duhhh”, but instead I’ll take the opportunity to bring up something I read about flax’s anti-cancer properties. Sort of like chemo, flax fights cancer by CREATING free radicals. So you lose out on the anti-cancer effect when you take flax with Vitamin E.

But since bodybuilders consume a LOT of flax (to keep their ratio of O-3:O-6 optimal for insulin sensitivity and exercise recovery), I think we need to use Vitamin E at some point to prevent oxidative damage from the flax. So my question is, what proportion of flax should we take with Vitamin E and what proportion should we take without?

I certainly understand the importance of having a healthy dose of Omega 3 fats in onees diet, but how doeas the fish oil compare to the flax in this area?The reason I am sking is because I am not seeing the results I have in the past, and I feel it has a direct correlation with my diet and the fact that I have been eating the same foods for quite some time, so with that in mind, I have been pondering adding lean red meat to my diet as one of my p-f meals, however I am aware that lean red meat is high in both saturated fat, and omega 6 fat, therefore I would be prompted to make sure that my ratio of omega 3:6 fats is in order, and this is why I am asking of the fish oil. Also I am a bit of a calorie watcher, as size is no problem for me to achieve, rather staying lean like I like to is much tougher, and must be done through my diet ( like most), so any how I guess I am just looking for some good advice on the fish oil.

Jander: if you can afford buffalo or free-range beef, both of those have much better ratios. It’s the grain fed beef that’s shitty.

I eat about a pound of buffalo on a lot of my cutting days. Low in fat, so it can be combined with veggies and fats to your heart’s content (literally) while also having a good ratio built-in. Great stuff, and tastes good too. Better than chicken all the time.

Dan

The benefits of flaxseed oil are often confused with those of fish
oil. Many people don’t realize that the omega-3 fatty acids found
in flax are not the same as those found in fish.

Fish oil contains two omega-3 fatty acids known as eicosapentaenoic
acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Flaxseed oil, is rich in
alpha-linolenic acid, which needs to be converted into DHA and EPA in
the body. (This process is highly dependent upon available enzymes in
the body.)

Our bodies convert alpha-linolenic acid into EPA a little more efficiently
than they do into DHA. Around 11 grams of alpha-linolenic acid
are needed to produce about one gram of DHA and EPA. However,
things such as trans fats and stimulants like caffeine can interfere
with this process.

While both fish and flax are major sources of omega-3’s, it would seem that each has its own unique and benificial properties (lignans in flax) so getting both would be optimal.
This is from Lonnie Lowery’s “Something’s Fishy” Part 2.
Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

“Linolenic acid, generally consumed in supplement form via flax seeds/ oil, is our other “common” pharmaceutical-looking lipid. For starters, it’s more readily oxidized than linoleic acid (the common omega-6 type).(18) That’s pretty interesting in itself. A high-calorie fuel source that’s less likely to join your love handles could well be used to fuel energy-costly protein synthesis (e.g. muscle growth). And like garlic, phytochemicals associated with the oil (in this case flax lignans) may be additionally helpful.
Lignans are bioavailable and inhibit estrogenic effects.(23, 36) High-lignan flax oil is, in fact, commonly used to combat gynocomastia (“bitch tits”) among bodybuilders, as is done pharmaceutically via the anti-aromatases, Arimidex and Teslac. If you’re one of the majority of the population that gets too little omega-3s for optimal physiologic effects (52), flax oil may be a nice addition to your diet.”

Hey, umm, flaxseed oil is absolutely non-existant in South Korea. Can I substitute an extra light olive oil. I have no other choice. Fish oils are also pretty much extinct here. I have about 2 table spoons of this olive oil a day. ta

Thank you all for the reply’s. Dan, if I could afford bison meat I would, but I cant, so I am going to have to stick to tuna, and chicken, which I really dont mind. From all of the info I have gathered here, I guess it would be a safe bet to say that both flax and fish oil have there place in the diet.

Every day in my afternoon P&F shake I have
1 dessertspoon flaxseed oil
1 dessertspoon crushed falxseed
1 dessertspoon whole flax seeds

tastes fine with choc flavour PP.

Regarding free radicals and Brian Smith’s comment, I suggest reading Beating Cancer with Nutrition. It addresses the very issue some doctors have (some doctors think you cannot take antioxidants when on chemo) but the author’s research shows they will still help and not interfere, your body can figure out what do to with each. But in the book he goes into why this is so.

Thanks, chrisb71, I’ll pick it up!