Dodgin’ Dadbods: Fortitude Training

That’s a baby (fetal) pig, bro! Where d’you think all the bacon you’ve been eating started at?

Best part - I fed my kids ham tonight. Didn’t mention the connection, as they’d spent several hours walking in to the room, and turning around while gagging.

3 Likes

Ngl, I initially thought you were preparing that thing for roast

1 Like

Can you please elaborate on what you’ve read that influences you writing this?

Funnily enough, I genuinely wondered, while unfolding flaps of the small intestine to spot the mesentery, if Anna would find this appetizing. Obviously, with the formaldehyde smell we’re going to say “no”, but your culinary choices have made enough of an impression with me that I had to ask the question.

1 Like

My nose is decorative…

INtestine is really quite good. It’s one of dad (and my) favourites

1 Like

You aren’t selling “authentic” Chinese food to me.

3 Likes

Fortitude Training: Cycle 2, Tier 3: Loading/Pump Sets

LOADING SETS

Leg Press
490 3x12

Leg Extensions
215x12

Hyperextensions with 20# fixed BB behind head
20#x12

PUMP SETS

Superset
Decline Cable Chest Press
42.5 2x25
MAG Attachment Underhand Pulldowns
“11” 1x25, 1x23

Superset
Lateral Raises
15s 3x25
Lying Leg Raises on bench
BW 3x25

Superset
EZ Bar Curls
60 2x25
Diamond Pushups
1x25, 1x19

Oof. Drank a shake with egg whites (inspiration from @T3hPwnisher), triple zero yogurt and one scoop of whey during this workout, and thank goodness I brought it. Getting my kids off the bus soon, then eating a large lunch, then cooking a chicken and veggie stew for dinner.

Going to enjoy this last week of high volume and high calories. Thanksgiving the gym is open until 1:00, and that’s my lower body-heavy muscle rounds day, so I’m very psyched about that. Earning all my calories that day and every day this week, and then it’s down to tier II and knocking off a bunch of calories.

7 Likes

Get some REAL inspiration from me and use the egg whites in place of milk in your bowl of Christmas Crunch.

That said, you still inspire me, so glad I can lend something to the proces.

2 Likes

I don’t know what inspiration you get from me at this point, but you’re not the type to lie, so I appreciate it, dude. You’ve lent much more than egg whites to my process.

Also, with regards to the cereal and your training, there are some things that I fully admit I’m not dedicated enough to try. Yet.

2 Likes

hmm… let’s see …
you’re killing it in the gym WHILE going through a rigourous academic program WHILE being an exceptional dad/family man WHILE supporting others here

I think that’s really inspirational

4 Likes

Hard work and commitment in any aspect of life is always inspirational. You sir are a shining example on how to just be better. Thank you

8 Likes

@simo74 and @anna_5588 thanks guys. Appreciate the solidarity.

3 Likes

Can’t find the source, though I am certain I read or heard somewhere that FT is well suited for bulking off season. The more I think about it, that statement seems rather one dimensional, as I’m sure FT can be adapted to just about anything. Good criticism there!

1 Like

Yesterday:

Fortitude Training: Cycle 2, Tier 3: Loading/Pump Sets

LOADING SETS

Dual Arm Row Machine
215x12

Weighted Dips
+45x12

Dual Arm Row Machine

Weighted Dips
+45x12

Lat Pulldowns
“15” 2x12

Incline Cable Chest Press
90 per handle 1x12, 1x10

Smith Machine Seated OHP
150 2x12

Machine lateral raise
40 2x12

PUMP SETS

Weighted Lunges
25 each leg (50 walking total) holding 40s x2

Dead man’s
1x25

Seated Leg Curl
90x25

So it’s 4 loading sets (heavy 6-12 rep sets) for chest, back, and shoulders, and given it was evening at a commercial gym, I did what I could to “zig zag” as the program prescribes.

I can’t possibly do it during conditioning workouts, but for long bodybuilding workouts with rest periods and supersets, I have found that bringing a shake consisting of egg whites, whey, and water is huge at keeping me going throughout. Just a couple sips every 10 minutes or so. Totally stops me from burning out.

3 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all.

Fortitude Training: Cycle 2, Tier 3, Muscle Rounds

Angled Leg Press
470 6x4

Nautilus Hip Thrust
200 6x4

Leg Extensions
170 6x4

Lying Leg Curls
130 6x4

Donkey Calf Raise Machine
150x25

Standing Calf Raise
140x25

Seated Calf Raise
90x25

Cable Preacher Bicep Curl (one arm)
“4” 6x4, alternating arms with no rest til all sets done

Lying Leg Raise
BWx50

Made the calf sets pump sets, and did just one set of 50 leg raises instead of a muscle round. Didn’t do a forearm set - my elbows felt a teeny bit tingly - not injured, but like they might tweak if I pushed it too hard, and I still have my other muscle round day for upper body tomorrow, so no point in doing that.

9 Likes

Yesterday:

Fortitude Training: Cycle 2, Tier 3: Muscle Rounds

Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Row
3 plates per side 6x4

Wide Grip Cybex Pulldown
Whole stack (290) 6x4

Rope Pullovers
37.5 6x4

Overhead plate raises (for traps)
25 6x4

Decline Cable Chest Press
47.5 per handle 6x4

Incline DB Press
75s 6x4

Weighted Dips
+25 6x4

Cable Y-Raises
12.5 per handle 6x4

DB Lateral Raises
15s x50

Rear Delt Flys
10s x50

Slow Diamond Pushups
2xfailure

6 Likes

Today: Abs

Leg Raises on Captain’s Chair
3x25

Leg Raises on flat bench
3x25

Med Ball Crunches
3x15

Nautilus Ab Crunch
110 3xfailure

Rowing Machine
2000m at a decent pace

4 Likes

I feel a little bit sore and a little bit sick just reading that. Quality

4 Likes

The 2000m row is one of the simplest, best, and most brutal tests of conditioning, for sure. Less than 10 minutes. The WR is something disgusting like 5:30, lol.

2 Likes

I was supposed to do day 1 of volume tier II today, but I forgot my damn gym bag with the proper shoes for leg day, so I hopped on the gym’s virtual bike, which as I’ve said before, is brutal and you can’t get up the hills without standing up on it, and did an hour. Dripping sweat. Gonna shower and take the dog for a walk in a bit.

In other news, the cut starts today! No alcohol is the first step.

Lunch is gonna be sauteed greens with eggs, fat-free ricotta and tomatoes. Dinner is gonna be a texas slow cooker chili (salute @T3hPwnisher), meaning no beans (sigh), but to be honest, beans are like carb-nuts, in that everyone talks about them being protein but they’re really mostly carbs, just like nuts get the protein rep too but they’re a ton of fat. I’ll have to make do. Tentative goal is to drop 20 pounds and see what I’m working with. The plan is for Christmas dinner to be the first cheat meal, and continue the cut until mid-January, when I start nursing school, at which point being in a deficit becomes a dumb idea.

8 Likes