Dodgin’ Dadbods: Fortitude Training

I appreciate having you stop by, man. Ill see you in your log as well!

There is - doing behind the neck presses!

2 Likes

Chest/whatever

Incline DB
35s x10
50s x10
75s x8
85s x6
95s x4
50s x20

BTN BB Press
95x5
115x5
135x5
135x13 (PR)

One arm cable chest press, across chest
4x12 each arm

CGBP
135 4x10

Crossovers
3x15

Looking for a program to follow soon. I’m getting stronger for sure, hitting new PRs and enjoying my own programming, but I’m gonna get back into a stricter training method soon. Also, I don’t know if I’ve been reading too much of @Frank_C ‘s log but my hip, or the muscles around my hip, is jacked up right now. It hurts to even pick up the dumbbells, to sit down, when I’m standing up, etc. it radiates all the way around my oblique and makes me walk funny.

3 Likes

Unsolicited Douche Advice: Look for tightness/restriction.

This is a long video from some smart guys.

Check out
5:30 to see how the roll out/release the front of dude’s hip.
8:30 roll/release side of hip
24:30 roll/release dude’s quad

2 Likes

I appreciate it, man! No advice from you is unsolicited. I’m currently out doing far too much walking for my current pain level with my kids and wife, but when I get home I’ll dig into that video and get to work.

I’d start with that tissue work. Tightness seems to always be present with my symptoms.

1 Like

I really enjoyed CT’s Eastern European Bodybuilding program. Got some good results out of it.

Also feel like with your tolerance for pain/volume you could try out his Austrian Oak leg workout.

Ever heard of/seen either of those?

1 Like

I’ve seen the Austrian (I think it’s Hungarian, Arnold was Austrian) Oak workout. That’s a good idea. I want to try it for quad day when my Nike Romaleos get here. Thanks! Pain and suffering are right up my alley.

Had a chance to watch the whole video. Chris Duffin is great as always, but that other guy is a wealth of knowledge, man. I tested myself, and found something interesting! It’s the outside of my right hip that hurts, but my external rotation was fine and my internal rotation was limited on that hip! Furthermore, my internal rotation on my non-painful hip was fine, but ANY external rotation on that hip caused my painful hip to rise up off the ground immediately. I set to work with the mobility exercises (painful as shit) and got some pain relief. This stuff isn’t a magic cure, as you know, and requires attention and repetition, but about 25 minutes of rolling and flossing made a noticeable difference in pain levels. Thanks again, man.

1 Like

You are correct, it is Hungarian. I’ll link it in case any readers want to check it out.

It says during the squats he used 135lbs and that that was around 30% of his 1RM (so 450lbs). That’s the way I’d choose the weight if you were to do it and couldn’t squat 450.

If you really want to kill yourself, I bet some walking lunges after the squats would suck some serious balls. Post it if you do it! Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I’m dying with four rounds of Tabata squats with the bar! I can’t imagine continuing for eight minutes.

2 Likes

No problem man, anytime.

I have the same tight right hip and left glute tendency as you. For me it kind of tightens up over time. If it don’t address it I’ll end up shuffling around with a flat right foot, a twisted back end a high left shoulder and impinged right hip.

Once you get loose it just takes a few minutes here and there to stay ahead of problems. Also switching up lifts helps too. If I keep doing 1 type/stance of squat or deadlift I find myself slightly twisting more and more each week. Switching every few weeks keeps it fresh.

2 Likes

Back and some shoulders

Weighted Pull-ups
BWx5
+25x5
+45x3
+70x3
+90x3
+70x5

SUPERSET
Behind the neck wide grip pull-ups
x5
x5
x5
and
Rope Pullovers
x10
x10
x10

Chest supported rows
45x10
70x10
90x10
100x8, drop to 70x8, drop to 45x16

Behind the neck seated press
Bar x10
95x5
115x5
135x3
3 minute rest, then
135x14 (PR)
95x20
I’ve found that if I give myself a short set of the 135 first, then after a couple minutes, when I lift it off the pins again it feels much lighter since I’m used to the weight.

Ez bar curls
5x10

5 Likes

Can’t recommend Brian Alsruhe’s programs enough. You’re the right kind of sick bastard that would get some killer results following his stuff.

His YouTube videos lay out a pretty specific template, and you can plug and play with what you’ve got to make it work for your situation.

2 Likes

That’s a possibility. I can’t ignore the gains @losthog got from Darkhorse. In the time I’ve been following his log, that was the most ridiculous strength progress I’ve seen.

I dunno, I have these squat shoes coming and I kind of want to try a high frequency, low volume squat approach, but now I’m on YT looking at some of BA’s programs haha

3 Likes

If my old ass can do it so can you. We are actually moving back into giant sets and conditioning stuff for a bit. I feel to drop this weight I need to keep the heart rate higher when exercising. Also to begin to reclaim some conditioning. I’ve nearly become a fat powerlifter.

2 Likes

I’m seriously thinking of running the Hungarian oak leg routine. You should do it too!

2 Likes

30 minute quad day. Hip still bothering me a bit but improving so I went easy

Leg extension
50x20
90x20
130x10
150x10
150x10
150x10

Hack Squat
90x15
180x10
180x10
180x10

Leg extension 1.5’s
70x20
70x20
70x14 the burnnnnnnn

That’s it. Super quick and easy.

2 Likes

How do these feel? I’ve tried straight arm pull downs and a DB pull over and struggle to feel much lat activation. I’ve wondered if a cable pull over would do the trick.

Rope pullovers are sweet, standing up. KILL your lats, and since you have a rope you can push past your body.