Dodgin’ Dadbods: Fortitude Training

I’d say 90 would be close - that’s a guess, I don’t pay attention to the screen. It’s not crazy low, but it’s really just to keep me moving. The sprint minutes are literal all out, balls-to-the-wall and take a lot out of me. I’d rather push 1% harder on sprints and go 1% slower on the cruise periods, ya know?

1 Like

Cruising for me is about 85 rpm and I have to watch the screen to make sure I don’t fade.

The other day I did an awful interval on the elliptical and my “cruise” was me just barely moving my feet. Going for 60 seconds on Level 18 and Incline 18 sucks.

1 Like

Chest Day

Mixed it up and tried some Doggcrapp stuff as a test. It’s fuckin hard. Triple test pause sets, aiming for 11-15 reps total. Less than 11 reps and it’s too much, more than 15 it’s too light.

Incline Bench
95x10
135x8
185x6
REST PAUSE 205x8, 3, 2 - 13 reps total

Standing BB OHP
95x10
135x5
155x7, 2, 2 - 11 reps total

Smith CGBP
135x10
185x5
225x8, 3, 3 - 14 reps total

SUPERSET
Crossovers 7 sets of 12
Pushups 7 sets of 10

Burnout - pushups with a 25 lb plate on my back for 18 reps, had my wife remove the plate mid set and got 7 more.

Thoughts - I could really see myself doing this. It’s only 1 real working set except for deadlifts and squats, which are two straight sets of 6-9 and 9-12, since the potential for injury on a triple RP set of those is pretty high. But there are like 8 exercises per workout . It’s also only 3x a week training with an ABA BAB format, and 4x a week cardio, so my biggest trouble would be dropping volume.

6 Likes

When he speaks of tough things about the program he mentions nothing about 450 grams of protein

1 Like

Totally misread your post! I thought you meant Dante Trudel speaking on the program, not me haha. BY FAR the hardest part will be protein.

1 Like

Ham Sandys

SUPERSET
BB RDL
225x12
225x12
225x12
DB SLDL, toes on board
70x10
70x10
70x10

Single Leg Curl
50x10
50x10
70x10
70x10

New Hack Squat, facing pads
90x10
180x10
270x8, 180x8, 90x10 dropset

Banded Back Ext on Roman Chair
3x20

Pretty simple day, ran around with my kids at the playground for a while after.

2 Likes

Shoulders and abs, quick before work

Seated BTN Press
Bar x20
95x10
115x10
135x12 (PR)
95x20

Seated DB OHP 4 second eccentric, no lookout
40s x10
40s x10 drop to 25s x10
40s x8 drop to 25s x10 drop to 15s x15

Seated Lateral Raise
15s 5x20

Cable Lateral Raise
3x12

Elbow supported leg raises
3xAMAP

Rope crunches
3x20

Planks
3x1 minute

4 Likes

Congrats on the OHP PR. I think I hit 135 for 11 once upon a time. Looking back, I have no idea how because I’m pretty sure I could only get 95 right now.

1 Like

Yeah, I kind of love BTN pressing. Obviously your bicep tendon is under a lot of strain during it so no way you should do them, but I was doing it for 2 reps a couple months ago while I was feeling it out and now 135 feels light. My max is easily over 185 on it.

1 Like

I did a couple sets BTN on my Smith OHP on Saturday. It actually felt better. It was a different setup - the back rest on the bench wasn’t completely vertical and the bar moves at a slight angle instead of straight up and down. BTN just felt better.

1 Like

I haven’t ever stuck with the BTN press for very long, but whenever I did try it out, it always felt good. Like actually good. Just seemed right.

Had some shoulder issues and only ever heard it preached that it was bad for your shoulders, but I’m thinking I’m gonna have to give it a go again. Flap, I think somewhere you mentioned Bulldog and Paul Carter had inspired you to get back to it - I had the same 2, and now you! Looking forward to starting to train it again. Might do 5x10 or something with lighter weight after my main overhead work.

2 Likes

Light back day

Weighted Pull-ups
BWx5
+25x5
+45x5
+70x5
BWx10

Rows on incline bench
65s x12
65s x12, 35s x12
65s x12, 35s x12, 20s x20

Deadlifts, conventional
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5

Rope pullovers
5x10

Double handle pulldowns
3x10

Straight to the park with the kids, ran around, etc.

1 Like

What kind of maniac does deads after pull ups and rows?

1 Like

The guy who doesn’t want to deadlift too much weight conventionally and risk hurting himself, but still wants the back growth. It does suck, but all that pump in my lats really helps with my biggest deadlift form flaw - not squeezing those oranges in my armpits and properly engaging the lats.

If I fatigue my lats then I struggle to keep them locked during deadlifts. I feel quite the opposite.

1 Like

I bet I would think differently if I was actually doing heavy deadlifts :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey, man. Enjoying your log, keep up the effort. Trying to come closer to your volume workouts as summer approaches. Thanks for logging!

1 Like

Three plates for reps is heavy in my book. Most people do 1-3 reps and add weight. Doing 5x8 on deads during SGSS taught me how difficult it can be to Deadlift for reps.

1 Like

Everything I’ve read that’s pro-BTN presses talks about how it isn’t actually bad for your shoulders, but you have to have good shoulder mobility and it will absolutely hurt you if you don’t have the necessary mobility, and it will reveal weaknesses or pre-existing shoulder problems.

1 Like

Yeah that seems to be what the case from what I’ve read too. Really have no idea if I do have an appropriate amount of mobility or not - I think I do, so I’m just going off of feel, but I’m not sure if there’s a great way to test it. All I really do to work on it is shoulder dislocates with a PVC pipe or band.

1 Like