Dodgin’ Dadbods: Fortitude Training

Also 20 rep rows with 80s and lots of scapular protraction = super pump.

Deadlift Day

Had to up my numbers - I still started light considering I got my 85% for 10 reps and had one more in the tank, but my initial estimate of a 225 dead was just too small.

Warmup
Hypers, BW squats, RDLs with bar

135x10

185x5
205x5
225x10

4x10 with 135, 1x10 185

Plate Loaded Single Leg Curl
50 lbs 5x10 ea

Hanging Toes to Bar superset with Rope Crunch
5x10

Lotsa calves

2 Likes

I pushed my TM up 10 press/ 20 legs until I found a good working place. I was making gains so fast (still linear progressing) I could handle intensity faster. Just bump it and remember bar speed / no grinding is important

1 Like

Conditioning Day

Walk 15 min brisk pace

Prowler Sprints
90 lbs 10x25m
135 2x25m

Row 1000m

Had some extra time so did PJR Pullovers superset with DB Bicep Curls for 3 supersets

1 Like

Rest day for both wife and I. No gym, just an ab circuit and some band work for the arms and shoulders.

Superman x 15
Ab wheel x 10
Crunch x 20
Russian Twist x 10 each side
Reverse Crunch x 10
For 5 rounds.

100 band pull aparts
100 band Curls
50 band single arm overhead tri ext each arm
15 band front raise/15 band lateral Raise/15 band high pull x 3

Worked on tucked planche position for a bit.

I work in a very specialized and borderline ancient trade that has me working on machines from the 70s and 80s and carrying heavy ass shit everywhere so no weekday is truly a rest day but it is what it is.

1 Like

OHP

Warmup
50 band pull aparts
Arm circles both directions big and small with 2.5 lb plates
Bar x 20
95x8

Working Sets
115x3
130x3
145x3+2
8 very slow wide grip pull-ups between every set

I was standing in a rack since the other spots for OHP were taken up and on my last set the first rep flew up easily, and due to bad positioning, a plate hit the top of the rack (if I stand perfectly the plates go on either side of the rack and I’m fine). I had to bring the weight down, and reposition while holding it on my collarbone, and it destroyed my last set. Oh well - this will make for a mean PR next cycle.

BBB Assistance
OHP
5x10 with 95 lbs
15 Lateral Raises with 10 lb plates in between every set

Pull Ups
+10 lbs 4x10 shoulder width neutral grip. Last rep of the 4th set was a bullshit half rep so I did my last set wide grip overhand bodyweight x 10.
In between every set I did cable press Crossovers for 20 rep sets. Pump was UNREAL. Especially since on the last 2 sets I did an underhand grip on the cables, I thought my chest was gonna explode.

Did some tricep cable work real light, long contractions and pushups to finish.

2 Likes

I know that as I get fatter my pull up numbers will suffer but I’m still jealous of your ability to do pull ups.

And I’m jealous of your squat, deadlift, bench and OHP. You’re still winning. Also, I feel like your pull-ups have become better, I see you doing weighted ones. That’ll translate over quickly to higher BW numbers and feeling lighter on the bar.

1 Like

My numbers always fall when I gain weight. The best I’ve ever done is 4 x 10 with a neutral grip and 60 seconds rest between sets. I was around 220 lbs then but as soon as I quit focusing on them they dropped.

I want big numbers in the weight room but I still find people who can control their bodyweight in different ways to be very impressive.

1 Like

Supposed to be squat day but every rack was taken up when I got there and it was clear none would be open. Did bench day instead.

Warmup
Band pull aparts, push-ups
Bar x 20
135x5

Bench
165x3
185x3
205x5

BBB
5x10 bench 135, 145, 155, 165, 165
Superset with Weighted pull-ups +45x5

Underhand Cable Press Crossovers 5x16 superset with Cable Curls 5x15

3 Max sets of pushups right after the crossover/curl superset
36, 26, 18

Some dude was squatting like right next to me wearing literal booty shorts. Like spandex with the very bottom of his ass showing. Honestly put me in a bad mood. I’m not one to judge but that shit is over the fucking top, nobody wants to see your ass man, the age of the man is dead.

3 Likes

There’s a tool at my gym who wears short ass shorts - - - like running shorts - - - and a tank top like the old bodybuilders would wear. He runs and gets sweaty as hell and then lifts, leaving his sweat everywhere. On top of that he does things like bench that you should not do in shorty shorts. It feels like he’s forcing us to see his junk.

1 Like

I sweat like a pig, it’s honestly kind of disgusting, I leave pools of sweat everywhere, but we have spray bottles and towels at every other machine so I clean everything up, even if it’s on the floor. And I don’t wear short shorts.

Sweating happens but the clothes your wear are a choice. Choosing to wear basically nothing irritates me because all of the sweat gets on the equipment. Nothing gets soaked up by the shirt.

It’s kind of like a courtesy.

2 Likes

Squat Day

Warmup on bike, bodyweight squats, bar x20, 95x10, 135x5

5/3/1 3x3+ Squat
155x3
175x3
195x6

BBB Squat
135 5x10 superset with 5x15 leg extensions

BB Lunges
5x10 ea leg 45, 55, 65, 80, 95

Rope Crunches superset with calf raises

Still minimal pain from squats, taking everything super slow and light, working on form, keeping abs tight. Want to do more weight but only have one more week before deload and I can add more weight.

3 Likes

Deadlift Day

Still having to dial in my deadlift max based on how I feel, but kept everything light, had lots of mirrors around and my back stayed flat as a rod, really focused on activating my lats by squeezing my arms into my pits and pulled the slack out of the bar on each rep.

Warmup
Back extension, BW squats, RDLs with bar

Deadlift 5/3/1 3x3
Warmup 95, 135, 185x5
235x3, 255x3, 275x6

BBB
185 5x10

Single Leg DB SLDLs
35, 45, 55, 65, 65 x10 each leg (holding one db, resting two fingers on the wall for balance)

Back ext, lots of lunges, some light leg extensions, lots of calf raises, dorsiflexion. My shoulder has been tight lately and I cracked my elbow badly in a ridiculous accident last night so I didn’t want to do my Kroc rows :frowning: I shed a tear for the gainz that could have been

2 Likes

DL training max is set at 300. I could definitely hit 315 for a rep or two right now with the way I feel. Squat is still staying at 225, bench at 225 and OHP at 155.

1 Like

OHP Day

Warmup band dislocations, pull aparts, internal external rotation, bar x 20, 95x5

5/3/1 OHP - 5/3/1 week
115x5
130x3
145x3
Face pulls between every set.
The bar I usually press with is way thinner and was being used by someone else, this bar was so fuckin thick I swear it was like an axle press. Oh well.

BBB OHP
105 5x10
Face pulls between every set except last set, did bodyweight pull ups as a warmup.

Weighted Pull-ups
BWx10
+25x8
+45x5
+70x3
+90x2 PR
second rep was Iffy and used a tiny bit of leg swing but I’ll take it

Short on time today so no additional arm or shoulder work but I felt good regardless

1 Like

Thicker bar can be a good change, roll with it for a bit :+1:

1 Like

WIfe caught up by doing OHP today while I did arms and calves.

Underhand Grip chins x 10
Superset with
EZ bar Curls 60x10
X3

CGBP
135, 155 x 10, 185x6
Superset with
Close Grip foot elevated knuckle pushups x15
X3

One arm preacher cable Curls
SS with
One arm cable pulldowns
X3

Calf raises SS with seated calf raises, 4 sets, super long stretch at bottom, full ROM and big contraction at top

2 Likes

Squat Day

Just got a nice cowhide leather RDX belt, tried it out today.

Warmup
Foam rolling, BW squats, back extensions

Bar x 20, 95x10, 135x5

5/3/1 - 5/3/1 week
160x5
180x3
205x3
Dipped down outrageously low on the last rep of 205, had a couple more in the tank but still playing it conservatively.

BBB Squats - made into a giant set
155 5x10
Leg Extension 110 5x15
Super close stance heels elevated BW squats x 15

Finished with weighted lunges, calves, hanging leg raises and ab wheel.

1 Like