T Nation

Dodgin’ Dadbods: A Journey Back in Time (5/3/1)

I would pick overhead presses for delt growth, because they’re better for delt growth- but I would do lateral raises instead of overhead presses if I could only do one of them, because ant/post delts get plenty of work with other exercises and lateral delts combined with a small waist are the main contributors to looking jacked as shit.

I feel my delts doing more work on the laterals since I can isolate them. I don’t always feel them working on OHP with a barbell. I do better with machines or the Smith since I can mentally focus on using them to move the weight without having to worry about balance.

Oh yeah when I standing BB OHP, despite not leaning back my upper chest does a lot of work. Between that and the arms, it’s a better full body movement than delt developer. Machines are good, seated B.B. OHP is good, Smith machine is great, but dumbbells with no lockout are the best overall shoulder mass gainer IMO. There are so many variations for shoulders but it’s so fucking hard to really get the muscle to contract properly.

Couple variations I’ve used recently:
Cable lateral raise with legs split so the cable can go between your legs and keep the weight directly in line with your lateral delts

Incline lateral raise, just lying on an incline sideways makes your start the raise from your sticking point

And a one arm DB press, but leaning sideways on an incline bench like the lateral version, having your upper body at a supported angle makes your shoulders the main support.

I’ve enjoyed cable lateral raises. Constant tension feels good.

On the incline lateral raise, are you working the arm that’s up or down? If your right side is on the bench, do you work your left arm or right arm? I’m long enough that I could put my armpit right at the top of the bench and use the right arm and make it like a lean away lateral raise.

The side that’s not leaning on the bench. CT actually made a video of it but i was doing them before I saw it at a higher incline angle. The first time I did them was the first and one of the only times I’ve experienced side delt DOMS

That looks like a good way to stop the movement before the traps kick in.

Lower B

Single Leg Curls 90 4x8
RDLs 135x10, 185x8, 225x6, 275x4, 315x4, 365x4
Single Leg Extension 70 3x20
Goblet Squat 1.5s (ass to ankles with heels on 2x4, halfway up, back down, all the way up with no lockout) 90lb DB 3x10
Leg Press 290 lbs 1x50 rest pause
Calf raise 60, 80, 100, 120, 140x8
Seated straight leg calf raise 170 3x10

My fuckin legs are blowing up recently, my shorts look like 1960s basketball shorts now

Upper A

Crossovers 3x15
Inc. Bench 190 4x8
Wide Grip Pull-ups pause at bottom, middle, and top 4x8 superset with light lat pulls 4x8
High incline DB 60s 3x15
One arm cable flys 3x10 ea
Cable Rows 4x10
DB Lat Raises 5s, 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s, 35s x6, 10s x50
50 push-ups rest pause, 18, 15, 10, 7

Woke up with a sore lower back and elbow. Couldn’t do chest supported rows today, or the rack pulls. Just worked hard on keeping negatives retardedly slow.

Conditioning/arms/stuff

Hammer Curls 45 5x8
Tri ext 4x15 superset with close grip pushups
Cable one arm curls 4x10
One arm pushups 3x5 each arm

Prowler sprints 10x25m sled+45
Elbow supported leg raises 3x20
Crunches 3x50

Seated Calf Raise 5x15

Nice

Nice post @JMaier31 about that guy going for police academy. I didn’t want to say it in there to beat the guy down but I’m glad you stepped up and didn’t bullshit him - being fat in any military or law enforcement agency is a disgrace. I know people back home who are fit as fuck and have waited for a year to get into the academy - how is it that a 275 lb 5’7 guy was even selected? Just curious about the process.

The pool is shallow these days. The great candidates are somehow disqualified for stupid shit (at least here) so we’re struggling to find “qualified” applicants.

My agency things a juvenile shoplifter is a DQ. The “Detective” who does the first interview has zero life experience and is narrow minded. She tried to tell a guy that hitting a player with a hockey stick during a hockey game was aggravated battery - a felony! No, dumbass, it’s a two minute penalty if you’re caught.

We end up with kids who aren’t ready to fight for their lives. It’s not their fault. They want to be cops. It’s our job to prepare them and tell them to come back in a few years if they’re not ready.

Leg Day

Single Leg Curl 60 4x15
SLDLs with pause at bottom 135, 185, 225, 275x6, 315x4 no pause on the 315
Leg Extension 170 3x20
Goblet Squats heels elevated 55 3x20
Leg Press 380 4x10, 290 1x10 slow negatives, heels close together
Wall Sit 3x30 sec

Not much time at the gym since the daycare closed early today so I threw together a quick upper body day

Seated B.B. shoulder press 95, 135, 155x10, 185x3 superset with Pull-ups (pause halfway up, at top, and halfway down) 4x8
Incline DB Press 70s 4x10 superset with cable rows 4x15
One arm pushups 3x6 each arm superset with one arm cable rows 3x10 ea
Prowler sprints 8x20m
Didn’t take longer than 20 seconds rest the whole time and got through this in just over 45 mins, then had to carry my kids out to the car trying not to throw up. Miserable.