Dodgin’ Dadbods: Fortitude Training

Whoops. Super busy, but not much of an excuse because I’ve posted plenty elsewhere in the forum. I think, like when I swore off of PWI and never went back, I would benefit from swearing off of the HIT (or whatever that even means now) forum. Either I’m just being an asshole, or there is a trance over that place where they can justify everything that their favorite guys say and brush off anything else by broad generalizations, or both, but either way it feels like I’m always beating my head against the wall, and it’s counterproductive. So yeah.

Besides all that, I’ve been biking and swimming like a madman, but I think I need to up my running a bit more. They cancelled my first triathlon, so the new one is on October 9th.

10 Likes

It’s a very interesting dynamic where the people with the poorest results gets the highest praise because they are living proof that they have poor genetics and didn’t use drugs, so therefore their results are the MOST real…

5 Likes

I typed this exact post out and deleted it. Good to see I wasn’t the only one thinking this way.

I feel I should join you in this. The fact I just had to delete a mini-rant at the end of this post probably proves my point: more agro than its worth.

3 Likes

This is why I stick to the training logs and some of the Off Topic threads. It’s just not worth the headache in the rest of the forum most of the time.

3 Likes

Instead, you can just get the headaches here, talking about squats and boxing!

5 Likes

You motherfu-….

4 Likes

Past 3 days have been a push, a pull, and today an ab workout.

Push workout was dips, smith incline press, and cable flys, with a total of about 250 pushups - about 25 between every set, and 50 of them were diamond pushups.

Pull workout was 100 pullups, and 5x10 on 290# trap bar deads. 5x10 neutral grip pullups, and then 5x10 regular grip pullups between every set of 10 deads.

Ab workout today was an ascending superset of leg raises on a captains chair and med ball crunches - which, by the way, med ball crunches, if done properly, are some of the most painful things you can do for abs - for 5-10-15-20-25-20-15-10-5 each, as little rest as possible, then figure 8 lying leg raises slowly until failure superset with 20 crunches for 3 sets. Then, a 10 minute all-out assault bike at as hard as I could push for 9 minutes with the last minute cooldown, and finished with 3 max sets on the nautilus ab crunch at 125. Not sure of reps.

7 Likes

Crushed 50 miles on the bike yesterday.

Today was an upper body workout.

Giant set of incline DB press with the 90s for 3x10 and 1x6, lat pulldowns “14” for 4x10, and pushups for 4x25.

Superset of dips and pullups for 5x15 dips and 5x10 pullups, some kip on the last couple sets of pullups

Cable flys and cable rows, 4 sets to failure

And more abs.

Diet has been pretty on point -1 slice of low carb bread with natural PB and 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast with a glass of veggie juices, lunch has been sautéed chicken breasts in some form of broth and lemon sauce and either asparagus or broccoli and dinner has been ground turkey and white rice, switching up seasonings and stuff on lunch and dinner but keeping pretty consistent. Sleep is good too. School is back up and running with A&P II.

8 Likes

Killing it in here.

3 Likes

Wow this is accurate. Crazy how much complaining goes on too. I joined the forum because of Ellington Darden as well, but it is frustrating to see how much they rehash the same topics and seem unwilling to branch out and try different training approaches or hear different opinions. I think it’s a limiting mindset and makes some come off like Grandpa Simpson type people lol

5 Likes

It’s all good. You and a couple other guys have made it a net positive overall. The rest of them have had plenty of direct offers to join the rest of the forum, and others seem content to offer advice but aren’t interested in learning anything new, so they can have their space and I won’t invade it.

Jim’s forum is pretty dead and even CT’s forum doesn’t have much traffic anymore, and Darden is a really responsive coach, so it’s not as if it’s any less important than anywhere else. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me, but if people wanna sit around and reminisce, it’s not my job to police them.

2 Likes

Well thank you. Darden has always been good about answering my questions and so has CT, and CT goes into tremendous detail which I really appreciate.

It’s really just kind of the “grumpy” vibe that a lot of them have that makes it fun to watch when an outsider questions one of them lol especially since so many are now convinced you CAN’T train to failure even though in the same thread Darden says he still does rain to failure but just uses other techniques like 30-10-30 from time to time.

1 Like

Yeah - all of that irks me, among other things, which is why it’s unproductive and silly for me to stick around. No worries - I won’t be missed there, and I can keep learning and trying new stuff elsewhere.

On a side note, I can’t wait til this triathlon is over so I can hop back on a legit program. Seriously considering fortitude training.

2 Likes

I think you would love it if you enjoyed DC. I’m doing DC now and the muscle Rounds are very much like the DC style rest pause. Also the stretches are the same. Definitely a lot of freedom for you to make it how you like! I look forward to continue reading about your progress and how your triathlon goes!

1 Like

Is that something you buy or make? I’m imagining V8 but I don’t know how healthy that actually is.

Nah - I buy it, the V8 original version. It’s only 45 cals in a glass, and has a ton of vitamins and some fiber. It’s generally accepted as a pretty healthy drink, and I have less than a cup of it a day. I don’t take a multivitamin or anything, so it’s kind of my own multi.

4 Likes

Did a back workout today, followed by 30 miles on the virtual bike (at my gym, with pre-programmed routes and hills on the screen that require you to stand up and change gears to get through them, it’s a pretty good substitute for a proper ride when I can’t get one in). Then took the kids to the playground and did 100 burpees.

2 Likes

I think that the only unhealthy thing about original V8 is the sodium content, which is only unhealthy if you’re sedentary and never sweat…

1 Like

Good point. 1 cup is 28% of RDA - 640mg, so not INSANE but high. I’d say I get about 3/4 cup, so ~20% of my RDA, and I sweat like an absolute pig, especially on bike rides. But it’s always good to keep that stuff in mind - people tend to run with things like this - “Veggie juice is so healthy, I’ll have 3 cups a day!”

1 Like