Dodgin’ Dadbods: Fortitude Training

I’ve seen enough descriptions of Krypteia on here that I’ll just talk about the movements, lol. I tried to keep it “secret” and I’ll continue but to avoid being cryptic now I’ll forgo that.

I use 75s for the SLDLs, and I use straps for them. I think you could do fine with the 60s - you can either up the reps to 15, or elevate your toes to up the stretch, or use the weight vest, or all 3 - I think the weight vest works fine, especially for the goblets unless it makes it harder to hold the dumbbell.

For the goblets I’m using a 95# DB. Jim did mention that athletes with barely over a 200 squat were using an 85 so it’s really a big movement in this program. I do them with my heels on a 10# bumper plate, so close stance and very deep reps, upright stance so the traps get a beating on them too. I’d say try the weight vest for the goblets for sure, but you could also go hardcore with it and hold two dumbbells, like 40s, in a front rack position. Or go EXTRA hardcore and just sub in light (95-135) zercher squats too.

Guess it depends what your goals are. If you want more conditioning, up the reps, if you want more of the combo of size and conditioning, find a substitution. I just make sure to go for the rule of “suckstitution”, meaning, only sub out prescribed exercises if the ones you’re doing instead suck more. But Jim seems to be pretty hardcore about the goblets so you’ll have to work either way to make them heavy enough, depending on what your maxes are.

2 Likes

Nice thanks for quick write up. Well put. Think I’ll run with the vest and elevate the toes on the SLDL.

1 Like

No problem dude. Don’t forget those shrugs with ‘em as prescribed. With the weight vest and the DB’s it’ll be properly brutal.

Will do. :cold_sweat: Actually love shrugs but with the vest yeah this will be fun.

1 Like

Kids are great conditioning tools.

Half an hour of pretty intense movement as I play tag with them where they’re both “it” so now that theyre faster and smarter I really can’t stop even for a second.

Then my youngest went to climb the jungle gym and I played a game with my oldest on about a 50 meter stretch of blacktop where I give him head starts and try to beat him to the other side. I got up to a 4 second headstart where I narrowly beat him after a tie the previous attempt. 5 seconds wasn’t happening but I tried 3 times, so it was 8 sprints in all.

Also got a long walk with Alfie in earlier. He’s currently doing his “I’m a 50 lb lap dog” routine on me. Which I’m fine with, of course. Been a huge win to get such an amazing dog out of a household where he was caged 12-14 hours a day and attacked by the other dog routinely. I remember going to pick him up after our meet n greet, and they went to open his cage and were like “prepare yourself”, and they let him out and he’s running laps around the house and they all roll their eyes like “yeah, this is what he does”, and I’m thinking, “what the fuck is he supposed to do, he’s a cattle dog meant to be herding in open fields and you only let him out of the crate for like 4 hours a day and don’t let him run when he does…”. Now that he gets his exercise he’s super chill. Brought him to New York and everywhere on Long Island with us and he was amazing with everyone. Just wants to say hi and love on strangers.

10 Likes

Aight, y’all. Olympic triathlon scheduled for September 18th. 1.5 km swim (~1 mile), 25 mile bike ride on rolling hills, 6.5 mle run.

15 Likes

30 mile bike ride after work today. First time on the bike in a WHILE. Was grueling, lots of hills, very uncomfortable, and humbling because the dudes I was riding with today, I was keeping up with a year ago and they were barely sweating while my legs were barely working. Gotta just keep at it, bike endurance goes away fast but comes back quickly too.

9 Likes

You might literally be Butthurt tomorrow lol

1 Like

I don’t have to wait until tomorrow. Tender taint over here.

1 Like

Definitely the worst part about getting back into bike riding in my opinion lol even a cushy custom bike seat doesn’t seem to really fix that problem

That’s why I never switched my rock hard racing seat, because it really doesn’t make a difference - 4 or 5 rides in and it subsides. Just like DOMS from a new routine or chafing from a new lifting belt. Humans are built to adapt, and we do it well - we fight it too often.

2 Likes

That’s smart. Those fancy seats are just for people like me that thought a quick fix would solve it, but you’re right. The only way to make it go away is to keep doing it.

2 Likes

I often tell my wife this.

4 Likes

But that’s a lie. If she keeps going it then you’re definitely not going away.

1 Like

What’s the general overview of your triathlon training going to look like? How’s it going to fit with Krypteia?

1 Like

Well, I’m almost done with the preparatory phase and the next phases are 3 days a week, which, at 45 min quick workouts are still pretty good for athleticism and conditioning. I think it’s probably still a pretty good program to run, to be honest. If I notice a problem with recovery I can just take a couple lbs off my assistance.

But to answer your question, I’m gonna do 2 swims, 2 runs and 2 bikes a week, swim at 6 am thursdays and Sunday evenings, bikes at 630 pm Wednesday’s and Saturday evenings, and runs Tuesday mornings and Friday mornings, with workouts Tuesday and Friday evenings, and Sunday mornings. Monday’s off entirely. One long and one interval session for each type of cardio.

2 Likes

Forgot to log that I did my Krypteia cycle 2/2 week 3, day 1 squats on thursday.

After my workout I dropped my bike off at the bike shop for a new stem, brake cable and some other modifications, I’ll have to wait until tuesday to get it back. In the meantime, it’s running and swimming for me. About to head to the branch of gym that has a pool for a 1km swim, just getting back used to it. I’m sure I’m gonna gas out, my form is certain to be all over the place with just a couple swims in the past year. Then I’ll get a run in in the afternoon when it takes a few hour break from the storms that have been hitting us for the past couple days. Got a new pair of running shoes as well.

5 Likes

Never hit post on that earlier. Swimming was an absolute mindfuck, 1000 meters seems so much further than it used to. There’s no greater full body cardio than a long swim, jeez.

5 Likes

It really sneaks up on you.

1 Like