T Nation

Dodge Ram Vs Hummer

Pinzgauer!


here it is.

This thread is funny.

What I find interesting…is that no one seems to talk about when the batteries in a hybrid die? Those ain’t exactly cheap, and depending on the battery chemistry, they may harm the environment more than gas guzzling SUVs.

Anyways though, I’d say SRT-10 Ram (hehe…). It’s got performance, you can get it in a quad cab if you have a family, and you can tow/haul stuff. An H2 just sits there and doesn’t even look pretty. I don’t particularly like SUVs anyhow.

I ended up buying a 2001 Ram 2500 diesel. I will be honest. I rarely NEED what the truck has to offer but as a good boy scout I prefer to “be prepared”. I go fishing a lot which takes me off road, plus I liked knowing that I can take EVERYTHING I own and put it in the back and leave. Can those hybrids even tow a Uhaul if you need it? I actually do pretty well with 18mpg’s anyshit.

I really could care less about hybrid owners as long as they shut the hell up. This is of course next to impossible in this hippie college town and I love making those pussies suck on my diesel. I actually do give two shits about the environment, though I care more about getting off of the arab oil tit so I am converting over to biodiesel anyways. You want to know satisfaction? Try telling some little hippie that your biodiesel uses less oil than his crappy love bug after he tells you how heartless you are toward “mother earth.”

Mike

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Another thing, what is with the hate of people who drive large vehicles?[/quote]

If you’ve got a reason for the larger vehicle that’s fine. Great Lake state, lots of people around here need a truck to pull their boats around, lots of hockey around here as well and a Tahoe is great for hauling the kids and their equipment around. Sadly though, most of the people who have them really don’t need them. Why the hate? They’re big, they get in the way, most people who drive them can’t handle them, how many times have tou seen some 5 foot nothing trophy wife trying to get an H2 or a Yukon into a parking space at the grocery store?

Smaller vehicles are only unsafe “death traps” as one person put it, because the roads are filled with assholes in giant trucks who can’t drive for shit. Gas prices are high because demand is high, demand is high because of the peoplw who buy these kinds of vehicles and don’t actually need them. Bad for public safety, bad for the environment, bad for the economy, hence the hate.

I blame the manufacturers as much or more than the drivers though, if the Big 3 wanted to make feul efficient Yukons/Navigators/H2’s etc, they could do it. Right now Ford is the only American car company with anything reasonable on the table but the other two are working on some things… they’re just taking their time doing it.

[quote]hedgrinder wrote:
I can understand the desire for a car that gets 44mpg, but honestly, I’d feel like a girl in a hybrid. Virtually all of the cars that anyone nowadays refers to as “getting good gas mileage” are the ones that I have always thought of as chick cars.
[/quote]

The ‘chick car’ thing is true: except http://www.lexus.com/models/gs_hybrid/450hrwd_specifications.html

Plus, some hybrid cars are relatively quick. That GS does 0-60 in 5.2 which is relatively quick for a full size sedan. I also remember reading that lexus was making a 500hp 500lb/ft torque hybrid sedan.

Obviously those are pretty expensive, I was just throwin’ it out there.

[quote]Xvim wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
Another thing, what is with the hate of people who drive large vehicles?

If you’ve got a reason for the larger vehicle that’s fine. Great Lake state, lots of people around here need a truck to pull their boats around, lots of hockey around here as well and a Tahoe is great for hauling the kids and their equipment around. Sadly though, most of the people who have them really don’t need them. [/quote]

Lol…that is very funny stuff!

I don’t need an SUV and I drive one. I drive one because I can afford to drive one and I wanted one.

Since when does anyone have to justify their purchase of any vehicle?

The time you spent typing out the blather above could have been spent picking up plastic drink containers on the side of the road, or hugging your favorite tree.

LOL

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
Another thing, what is with the hate of people who drive large vehicles?

Because they know you have a small penis, and they hate you for it. Guys with small wankers use 40% more gas than the average size man.[/quote]

They hate ME because I have a small penis?

But really, when you live in the sticks, and everything isn’t right there by you, and you aren’t always in traffic, why not have a larger, more comfortable ride? When you average 25min for any time you’re driving, and it’s an open road, you will appreciate what the larger car offers.

Oh, and the gas problem…even hybrids use it, no matter how little. Plus the tanks are so small, that you end up filling up just as often as anyone else with similar diving habits. It’s all a money ploy. So drive what you WANT. They win either way.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Since when does anyone have to justify their purchase of any vehicle?
[/quote]

That’s my point, you don’t. Drive what you want.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Lol…that is very funny stuff!

I don’t need an SUV and I drive one. I drive one because I can afford to drive one and I wanted one.

Since when does anyone have to justify their purchase of any vehicle?

[/quote]

You could try to explain that to an American soldier who was killed in a conflict that in part began because of Americas “need” for oil.

Oh, that?s right…

You can?t.

He?s dead.

[quote]orion wrote:
ZEB wrote:

Lol…that is very funny stuff!

I don’t need an SUV and I drive one. I drive one because I can afford to drive one and I wanted one.

Since when does anyone have to justify their purchase of any vehicle?

You could try to explain that to an American soldier who was killed in a conflict that in part began because of Americas “need” for oil.

Oh, that?s right…

You can?t.

He?s dead.[/quote]

I am an American soldier and drive an SUV. I know many that drive trucks.
I think that the right to drive what you want, say what you want(even if I disagree), and live the way you want are covered in that document that we (including those who have died) have sworn to protect and serve.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Xvim wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
Another thing, what is with the hate of people who drive large vehicles?

If you’ve got a reason for the larger vehicle that’s fine. Great Lake state, lots of people around here need a truck to pull their boats around, lots of hockey around here as well and a Tahoe is great for hauling the kids and their equipment around. Sadly though, most of the people who have them really don’t need them.

Lol…that is very funny stuff!

I don’t need an SUV and I drive one. I drive one because I can afford to drive one and I wanted one.

Since when does anyone have to justify their purchase of any vehicle?

The time you spent typing out the blather above could have been spent picking up plastic drink containers on the side of the road, or hugging your favorite tree.

LOL[/quote]

I didn’t think what he said was really funny at all.

By the way, you come across as an arrogant dick. I guess you don’t have to justify anything to anybody if that makes you feel “OK” about your logic on this. The price of oil is a reflection of demand, which is exactly what people like you create with unnecessary SUVs. You said it yourself, you don’t even need one.

You have the same attitude that most well-to-do Americans have about this whole thing: “Fuck it, I can still afford it” Well, so can I, but that doesn’t mean I do it. What about the people who aren’t as well off as you? I don’t really care what you drive, but your demand raises their price too, but who gives a fuck, right?

Oh yeah, I’ve read your posts before, republican, right?..


mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

[quote]SkinnyPete wrote:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.[/quote]

does it come as a hybrid, and a mini fridge for all my soy milk?

The free market is what drives innovation. Once gas prices become totally insane, some smart car company will come out with a new design that doesn’t need petroleum-based fuel. (I agree with the sentiment about getting off the Arab oil tit.) So let people drive what they want; in the long run it’ll be good.

I’m holding out for the hydrogen fuel cell cars. They use the most abundant element on the planet and produce water as exhaust.

[quote]SkinnyPete wrote:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.[/quote]

Thats even more stereotypical and common than a stock H2.

I’m not a big fan of Hummer. I’m partial for Fords but I’ve got a few friends with Dodges and I like them OK. The thing that caught me about this thread was the discussion over fuel consumption.

I know my truck burns a lot of fuel, and maybe I don’t ALWAYS need the size, but you’ve got to focus on the most important things in your environment. In my case, I find it necessary simply because southern chicks love it.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Lol…that is very funny stuff!

I don’t need an SUV and I drive one. I drive one because I can afford to drive one and I wanted one.

Since when does anyone have to justify their purchase of any vehicle?
[/quote]

You don’t have to justify anything. I agree, you should buy what you like, especially when you get into the 5 figure dollar amount.

However, he makes a point in regards to the little trophy wives and soccer moms that can’t drive. If you can’t handle a large vehicle, don’t drive one. It shouldn’t take 20 minutes 6 trips into reverse to get into a parking spot. And leave me room to get in my car, bitch!

[quote]orion wrote:
ZEB wrote:

Lol…that is very funny stuff!

I don’t need an SUV and I drive one. I drive one because I can afford to drive one and I wanted one.

Since when does anyone have to justify their purchase of any vehicle?

You could try to explain that to an American soldier who was killed in a conflict that in part began because of Americas “need” for oil.

Oh, that?s right…

You can?t.

He?s dead.[/quote]

I know someone who died in Iraq, in the letter that he had written in case the worst happend he wrote.

“Don’t ever say it was unfair, I signed up for it, I knew this could happen and I’m sorry it did”

One of the amusing parts of this argument that is rarely mentioned is actual MAINTENANCE of the car. Even though your small car may have a 1.1 liter, super-ultra-mega efficient engine, if you don’t change the plugs, oil, etc…it’s NOT going to put out decent emissions. I’ve seen a 71 challenger with a 528" hemi pass a sniff test that a 99 accord couldn’t. Why? Because it was poorly maintained, just like 99% of ALL cars out their on the road. Tuning the engine PERFECTLY is important, as is the rest of the entire package(there is more to a car than the engine, ya know?) Did your hippy ass check your tire pressure today? Or were you busy putting on another I heart mother earth sticker? If it’s too low those precious mpg start to quickly plummet. Air filter? Running lower friction fluids? How bout your driving style? Do you floor it between lights and slam on the breaks? Do you actually know how to shift right, and when? The factor between the seat and steering wheel is suprisingly important here, and rarely mentioned.