Doctor Tells Patient She Is Fat

This case pisses me off.

For every Fat person on welfare or disablity because of their obesity related problem (often chronic back pain secondary to being a fatass and having a sedentary lifestyle), there is a single mom working two, three jobs barely making ends meet but wanting to do the right thing and not go on welfare. Case in point, my paraplegic girlfriend in a wheelchair working two jobs. If she can do it, so can a fatass.

It’s the mentality that a person is not responsible for his or her own actions, but it’s everyone else’s fault. AND obesity is used as a comomon terminology in healthcare and is proven to cause many health disparities- heart disease, hypertension, adult onset diabetes, stroke, etc., so the doctor did the theraputically appropriate intervention by advising the patient to lose weight in order to improve her health.

I hate boneheaded lawyers.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
This case pisses me off.

It’s the mentality that a person is not responsible for his or her own actions, but it’s everyone else’s fault. …

You hit the nail squarely on the head there China

I took my family to a fairly well known theme park this last weekend, and was genuinely shocked at the number of grossly obese people spending the entire day force feeding themselves deep fried crap…my wife reckons the figure was over 90% of the people in the place. But hey…it must have been the park owners fault they couldn’t fit their asses into half the rides !!!

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
It’s the mentality that a person is not responsible for his or her own actions, but it’s everyone else’s fault.[/quote]

It’s that, and this stupid notion that we somehow have a Constitutionally-granted right to never be offended. I can’t decide what’s worse: all the people who have become so incredibly thin-skinned, or the system that has opted to cater to these people.

I’m all for getting a letter together in support of the Doctor. Let me know where to sign.

Hell I’ll even chip in on some HOT-ROX for the fat bitch.

Thin skinned fat people. An oxymoron of the highest caliber. Thats up there with jumbo shrimp.

I heard the good Doctor being interviewed on a Toronto radio station this morning, and I was impressed. This is a no bullshit guy, doesn’t mince words. I can beleive he might not have used a whole lot of tact in the matter, but his job is to save her life, not make her feel all warm and fuzzy.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
This case pisses me off.

I hate boneheaded lawyers.[/quote]

Me too.

And I really hate bone-headed politicians who pass laws that give people legal rights against “discrimination” for being fat and stupid, and anyone who has ever advocated a position that someone getting his or her feelings hurt was an actionable offense.

I’d LOVE to tell that Fat Bitch off. WTF kind of society is it that you can’t call a spade a spade.

Lemme guess, her estate would be suing him if she died from complications due to obesity had he NEVER told her what a fat fuck she is…

I was recently in a Wal-Mart, and there was a super fat woman on one of the scooters that are supposed to help the disabled get around, not prevent fat people from burning calories by walking.

She motored into the ice cream isle, took a package of ice cream bars out, promptly opened it up and started eating one right there in the middle of the store before paying for it. Usually I ignore these people, but I gave her such a disgusted look. She couldn?t even wait to get to her car before shoving those calories down her throat.

Fat is not an accident, nor caused by a medical condition 99% of the time. It is a choice.

It is also a doctor?s job to tell people how to improve their health.

PC run amuck.

What happens when the next patient sues the doctor for emotional trauma because the doctor tells him/her that they have cancer?

Telling people the facts should be excluded from litigation. ie It’s a fact that this fat bitch should be exported to Japan for use as landfill.

Yes. So true. Where will this kind of legal duress stop, so that health care providers can stop practicing “legal medicine” and do the right thing? This case is so butt crack ridiculous, I can’t believe this doc’s medical board was stupid enough to justify this woman’s claim with any attention whatsoever. They should have answered her in a letter stating that it’s theraputically appropriate for a physician to recommend lifestyle changes appropriate to proper health promotion and that they support the doctor’s prudence.

quote]Massif wrote:
What happens when the next patient sues the doctor for emotional trauma because the doctor tells him/her that they have cancer?

Telling people the facts should be excluded from litigation. ie It’s a fact that this fat bitch should be exported to Japan for use as landfill.
[/quote]

Stuff like this just moves me one step further to ordering this book:

[quote]Slaughter wrote:
I heard the good Doctor being interviewed on a Toronto radio station this morning, and I was impressed. This is a no bullshit guy, doesn’t mince words. I can beleive he might not have used a whole lot of tact in the matter, but his job is to save her life, not make her feel all warm and fuzzy.[/quote]

I just saw him on Keith Olbermanns show. He tells it like it is.

It may be my short attention span at work, but I saw no mention of litigation. Rather, this was a matter between the doctor and the professional regulatory board, no?

That said, while I admire the truthfulness of the doctor, I do believe he was in the wrong. After all, if doctors are allowed to hurt the feelings of the overweight with the facts, then I, with my authority in the matter derived soley from my legally passable vision, will be effectively marginalized in the occupation of mocking and dehuminizing fatties.

Thin is a choice. Society needs more guys like the knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade who are willing to point out the obvious. “He chose… poorly.”

Anyone catch the interview with the doc on CNN?

More importantly anyone stick around for the part that followed with “The Ethics Guy” who completely bashed the doc?

This guy made me want to see how far my tv would fly.

Wow, the “Ethics Guy”…sounds metrosexual, eh?

This is the kind of shit that America gets made fun of for. It is supposed to be a free country but a doctor can’t tell a patient medically classified as obese that she is obese? This is bullshit in the highest form.

Hey guys, it’s not the woman’s fault she is fat. It’s her glands. Plus, she has a slow metabolism. Also, she doesn’t have time to work out. And she has been misled by McDonalds for years, believing their menu was actually healthy. A Dunkin Donuts opened next to her house- what was she going to do? The gym costs money and is a whole 15 minutes away by car! She’s too tired after eight hours of work to make healthy food. And TV and magazine advertising forces her to eat pizza and ice cream. And she’s not fat really. She’s only 250, at 5’2".

I really don’t think she will win this case. It has far less merit than the McDonald’s coffee case which was also pretty ridiculous.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
This is the kind of shit that America gets made fun of for. [/quote]

That is very, very true. (Please don’t invade us!!)