Doctor Kicked Me Out!

I went to the doctor because I’ve been having strange pains in my arms that radiate into my fingers when I sleep on them. He said it was polyneuropathy asked him what that was and he said, well it’s a nerve thing. Then he said you look like you lift, maybe you outa stop that. I said that’s it, stop lifting? He said, that’s enough questions, here’s a script for neurotin, take it and get out of here. I looked up this script and looks like it’s an anti seizure med…Don’t think I’ll get it filled.

I have the same problem. Especially lately.

Pins and needles? Seriously?

It’s normal.

Sounds like you need a new doctor. If his best advice is to stop exercising, he clearly does not have a very good understanding of his profession in that regard.

That said, I will say that I was actually asking a family friend of mine who’s a doctor about anti-seizure meds the other day. They’ve been used to treat seemingly unrelated maladies like nerve damage to extremities in diabetic patients. I’m not saying that an anti-seizure med will work for you, but it’s known in the medical community that there are quite a few off-label uses for seizure meds.

That makes me realize, though, that if your doctor didn’t take the time to explain that to you, it reinforces that he’s probably not a very good doctor.

im thinking you should go to a different dr. lol

Wow! Are you sure he was a doctor? That’s horrible. Why would not lifting weights help with polyneuropathy? Why would he get mad at you for asking questions? I would find a new doc.

I’m pretty sure this happens to everyone.

Don’t sleep on your hands.

I got told the same thing when I had a disk herniation in my neck that caused my left arm to either be numb or get the pins feeling.

He told me to stop all workout activity, I laughed and changed doctors. Next doc sent me to get an MRI then PT and had me do traction, fixed everything.

thats some strong shit, you dont need it.

i get this. what i find to make it worse is from taking a good amount of B6. Just a thought.

[quote]mitchellh wrote:
I got told the same thing when I had a disk herniation in my neck that caused my left arm to either be numb or get the pins feeling.

He told me to stop all workout activity, I laughed and changed doctors. Next doc sent me to get an MRI then PT and had me do traction, fixed everything.[/quote]

what’s traction?

[quote]duddy wrote:
i get this. what i find to make it worse is from taking a good amount of B6. Just a thought.[/quote]

so are you saying to ease up on any b-6?

I have had an inflamed carpal tunnel in my left hand for the better part of the last 6 months. After seeing 4 different doctors I finally found one who was even willing to entertain the idea of something other then cutting the carpal bridge.

This doctor at my suggestion agreed with the idea of doing a cortisone shot in my wrist to cut down on the swelling enough to let the tissues repair and stop being inflamed. Now here nearly a month later my wrist and palm no longer feel like someone is stabbing me in the palm whenever I extend my fingers and the constant tingling/numbness has completely gone away.

[quote]younggully wrote:
mitchellh wrote:

He told me to stop all workout activity, I laughed and changed doctors. Next doc sent me to get an MRI then PT and had me do traction, fixed everything.

what’s traction?[/quote]

Basically pulls the joints apart and realigns them. I have http://www.painreliever.com/Cervical-Traction_4395.html for my house, works ok might be worth dropping the money on to see if it helps.

[quote]mitchellh wrote:
younggully wrote:
mitchellh wrote:

what’s traction?

Basically pulls the joints apart and realigns them. I have http://www.painreliever.com/Cervical-Traction_4395.html for my house, works ok might be worth dropping the money on to see if it helps.[/quote]

Thanks man.

[quote]Nanan wrote:
I have had an inflamed carpal tunnel in my left hand for the better part of the last 6 months. After seeing 4 different doctors I finally found one who was even willing to entertain the idea of something other then cutting the carpal bridge.

This doctor at my suggestion agreed with the idea of doing a cortisone shot in my wrist to cut down on the swelling enough to let the tissues repair and stop being inflamed. Now here nearly a month later my wrist and palm no longer feel like someone is stabbing me in the palm whenever I extend my fingers and the constant tingling/numbness has completely gone away.[/quote]

Glad the cortisone worked for you. Another solution for CTS is a night splint. Basically its a wrist brace that keeps your hand at slight extension as you sleep. This orientation makes the carpal tunnel its optimum size and facilitates healing. They range from 30-100 bucks, but you could more or less achieve the same result by taping a large spoon (convex side against your palm, handle along inside of wrist) on the wrist.