Dobermans

No, not the trick you play on your buddy where you stick your cock in between your legs and bend over…

I mean the breed of dog.

Anybody have one or have experience with them?

I have the opprotunity to get a Male Doby (8 weeks at that time) in January and was wondering what people’s experiences with owning the breed have been.

Thanks in advance

GAINER

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
No, not the trick you play on your buddy where you stick your cock in between your legs and bend over…
[/quote]

No experience with that particular breed, I do like them though. I always thought that was called a fruitbasket!

[quote]elevationgain wrote:

[/quote]

It might be that you and your buddy spend a little too much time together. LOL

Dobies are great dogs. They score very high in both obedience intelligence and adaptive intelligence, which means they’re smart and very trainable – the two don’t always go together. I have a Rotti/Dobie cross and she’s a big playful lapdog. The biggest problem with her is that she demands to have her head petted constantly, she’ll flip one of my hands up off the keyboard with her nose or jam her head in front of my book if I’m reading.

She’s also taught herself how to open the fridge.

I breed pitbulls but have owned a dobbie and have some experience with them. As with any dog, I cannot emphasize enough…breeding breeding breeding. I don’t care what breed you like (I don’t care for them anymore but doesn’t mean you can’t get a “good” one), you cannot ignore genetics…good parents usually produce good offspring. I find poorly bred dobbies on the highstrung / nervous side which I consider to be a fatal flaw for any dog. In general, we in the US screwed dobbies up as well as other breeds…used to be a time when if you wanted a decent GSD, rottie or dobbie, you’d need to get it overseas. I don’t know the situation now b/c I don’t care for those breeds but my take home message to you is check out the parents and test the pup itself - any shyness or signs of being high strung and I’d pass on it.

Good luck,

Steve

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
I breed pitbulls but have owned a dobbie and have some experience with them. As with any dog, I cannot emphasize enough…breeding breeding breeding. I don’t care what breed you like (I don’t care for them anymore but doesn’t mean you can’t get a “good” one), you cannot ignore genetics…good parents usually produce good offspring. I find poorly bred dobbies on the highstrung / nervous side which I consider to be a fatal flaw for any dog. In general, we in the US screwed dobbies up as well as other breeds…used to be a time when if you wanted a decent GSD, rottie or dobbie, you’d need to get it overseas. I don’t know the situation now b/c I don’t care for those breeds but my take home message to you is check out the parents and test the pup itself - any shyness or signs of being high strung and I’d pass on it.

Good luck,

Steve[/quote]

Thanks Steve,

I grew up raising hunting hounds (bluetick coonhounds) and bird dogs, and now have a Siberian Husky and a Lab.

I know where you’re coming from concerning paying attention to the breed and the parents for sure. It took me a long time to find the right Husky even though I wanted to get one really bad. Having the patience to research the breed that best suits you as well as the know-how to pick the right puppy from the right parents is very important.

I have absolutely no experience with that particular breed, however, and never thought I’d ever have one, so naturally I’m kinda leary about bringing one into my home without further investigation and opinions from other folks.

Thanks again,

GAINER

One of the smartest dogs I ever knew was a Doberman. I swear he could read his owner’s mind! Athletic, too.

This breed can be high strung. Early socialization and obedience training are very important, and result in a calmer dog.

I know 2 k9 officers that also compete in schutzhund with their dogs. Although they have shepherds they have some friends who compete with dobes. They told me that they’re extremely intelligent, so much that when training they have to constantly change correctional/reward stimuli for the dogs. Again, not to beat a dead horse, but good genetics are key to temperament & health. The highly overbred US dogs tend to display more health and temperament problems. The dog should be brave but not overly aggressive. Unfortunately many dogs in the US are bred more for “look” rather than for work/sport purposes. I was told that the most common flaw is the high strung/fear-biter dog. I know when I go to purchase one I’m going to get one with little US blood in it. Just rembered a tip that supposed to help with hip displasya-that works for all larger dogs as far as prevention. When the dog is young try to keep it on surfaces that are rougher. This is suoopsed to be very important while the dog is young so the connective tissues form correctly-preventing further problems down the road. Hope I was of some help.

I grew up with several of them and never had any aggression problems. Mine was actully a gentle giant, but unfortunately, dumb as a brick and ran itself head first into a wall (it forgot the staircase turned to the right) and broke its leg.

Wonderful dogs if trained properly.

[quote]AbunaiE wrote:
I grew up with several of them and never had any aggression problems. Mine was actully a gentle giant, but unfortunately, dumb as a brick and ran itself head first into a wall (it forgot the staircase turned to the right) and broke its leg.

Wonderful dogs if trained properly.[/quote]

Not to beat a dead horse and perhaps just a point of clarification or, amplification. Training only goes as far as the genetics allow it. Genetics first…training second. There is no “wonderful” dog of ANY breed if he is a genetic liability.

Now, I’m not talking genetic “perfection” - we all know of mutts that were man’s best friend - but they had solid temperments…so they’re relative genetics in that department were sound - but I did describe, and want to reemphasize what I consider to be “fatal” flaws in any breed and that would be high strung, nervous, etc.

Poorly bred dobbies tend to run in this direction. I don’t care a lick about intelligence - mine was smart as hell but when he’s constantly bouncing off the walls his relative intelligence is meaningless - quite frankly, it just makes him an intelligent liability and an intelligent pain in the ass :slight_smile:

Forgive my snobbery/uncompromising position on dogs; I breed them so I’m very demanding. If more people had my standards, there wouldn’t be any bad dogs…just dead bad dogs…or bad dogs that were never born :slight_smile: But that’s just the breeder in me talking :slight_smile:

Anyway, good luck.

Steve

To find a good breeder don’t be surprised if you have to have your dog shipped from the other side of the country. SG and myself had to do just this to get our white Akita, who has wonderful temperament, extremely intelligent, and fairly calm.

I do know that dobes are a bit on the demanding side as far as exercise and attention go…so be aware of that fact before you get one. Most would also recommend keeping them indoors, they do not do well in extreme temperatures on either end of the spectrum.

That being said about genetics…I swear the most intelligent dog I ever owned was a cow dog…or a mutt if you will. When my dad and I used to go ride bicycles with my two dogs…she would grab the other dog’s collar and start walking him if he started to get distracted and run off…it was hilarious.

She could also shag fly balls with no instruction…she just knew what to do. I miss that dog.

we had two when i was growing up. abraham and isaac. they were awesome dogs. they do need a lot of attention and training, and they’re smart enough to really only listen to their true master. so maybe not the best dogs for every situation.

definitely need a lot of exercise. i used to walk them to a nearby soccer field, they would heel side by side w/ me w/o a leash which was pretty awesome! when we got to the field they would just run, and i mean run like horses man, lapping the field like 3 or 4 times before slowing.

if we went at night you could hear them whipping around the field but not see them. the sound of them running as they closed the home stretch and whizzed by you dissapearing into the dark for another lap is one of the coolest memories i have.

we used to stack up benches and get them to jump over or balance beam the top one you know a little steeplechase. a lot of fun. those dogs can jump- pure athletes.

one halloween we put them both on the dark front porch tied to opposite sides at the top of the steps and we had the house totally dark but people would come up the steps anyway and abe and isaac would jump out howling on their leeds and just scare the piss outta the kids coming up the porch!!..got in trouble for that one.

[quote]WguitarG wrote:

That being said about genetics…I swear the most intelligent dog I ever owned was a cow dog…or a mutt if you will. When my dad and I used to go ride bicycles with my two dogs…she would grab the other dog’s collar and start walking him if he started to get distracted and run off…it was hilarious.

A testament to hybrid vigor…great parents too closely bred may not produce good offspring - they will produce offspring that amplify the positive and the negatives will be similiarly amplified…the mutt is the best example in the dog world of the benefit of not having the blood “too tight”…breeding dogs is a science really.

Too many breeders get foundation dogs for breeding but don’t vary the bloodline enough…they just breed the hell out of their limited foundation and their offspring…and never consider addiing a complimentary blood line.

You made a great point about the dobbie…and I hate to dobbie bash but I am kinda…they are VERY high maintenence…and I dislike that in a dog. I better stop now; I think the dobbie club of american is looking to get to my doorstep now :slight_smile: lol.