Do You Think You'll Ever Be Satisfied?

I was thinking recently about why I decided to get into powerlifting last year. I realized that I have an almost a Insatiable desire for power, or I guess a desire to test my limits. To see what I am truly capable off. I remember when I was about 17 all i wanted was to be able to bench 205. I thought if I could bench 205 I would feel strong. Then after some lazy on and off training I hit 215 and for about a week I was happy but then I wanted 225. So at 19 last january i started training regularly, and I hit 225 my first week. Then I wanted 245 hit that 2 weeks later. Then I discovered the deadlift and the sqaut. I just wanted to put 3 plates on each side for my dead. After a few months all i wanted was 4 plates, hit that a month ago and now all i want is 5 plates. Then 2 weeks ago i benched 300 a few days later couldn’t stop thinking of 315. Hit 300 for a triple and now all i want is 405 lol. Its like i cant b happy for more than a week when i hit a PR before i covet a new one. I guess i was just wondering if you other guys feel the same way. Do you ever think you will be satisfied? will you ever say I am “strong enoughgh” or will we just continue to chase bigger numbers till the day we die, just for our restless spirit to rip its way thru our corpse in search of bigger numbers.

If you are ever content, you’re doing it wrong.

You can always get stronger, get cutter, run faster, learn new exercises…whatever.

If you have no desire to improve, you’ve failed.

Your question is ironic to me. You have the mind of a powerlifter apparently, and your asking other powerlifters if they have said mind of a powerlifter, haha. I have the same mindset, I seek strength and being stronger like a heroin junkie. :slight_smile:

I will always consider myself weak, even if I am strong in the eyes of others. You should never be satisfied with where you’re at.

“Most powerlifters share some common defects. We, as a whole for whatever reason, LOVE to punish, beat and torture ourselves beyond the limits of mind and body. It is our spirit that prevails. This defect of intelligence and sensibility pushes us on to the next level, makes us better and stronger. We all have lifted sick and badly hurt. When this subject comes up with normal people and other meatheads, we all have that prideful smile when we talk about lifting with a 100 degree temperature or a torn groin. Thank God that therapy doesn’t work on us.” - Kirk Karwoski

At the end of the day, there’s always more weight to be lifted. a 5 lb PR is a PR, no matter how you look at it. Even if it’s 1 lb, that means you’ve gotten stronger. The road to being strong(er) is one that is filled with trial and tribulation and will never end. There is no pinnacle of strength. No one will ever find themselves strong enough. Like the other guy before me said, you will always be weak even though you’re strong in the eyes of others.

So to answer your question, fuck no, I will never be satisfied.

CS

Satisfied = Stagnant

[quote]JK29 wrote:
Satisfied = Stagnant

[/quote]

Add on: Being satisfied means you’ve given up on becoming any stronger than you already are.

CS

You’re only as weak as you want to be

Nope.Never.

At 54 I’m still like this. I think this discipline you develop under the bar, carries over into everyday life.

I set a goal, achieve the goal, then set another. I’ve learned to do this over and over in the gym, and it works in everyday life as well.

I’ll be done once I’ve pulled myself to my own chalky death.

Never.

Get old enough and you’ll need to manage your expectations. Injuries , age ared all something you will need to learn how to manage.
And believe it or not there will be a day you decline.

Get old enough and you’ll need to manage your expectations. Injuries , age ared all something you will need to learn how to manage.
And believe it or not there will be a day you decline.

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
If you are ever content, you’re doing it wrong.

You can always get stronger, get cutter, run faster, learn new exercises…whatever.

If you have no desire to improve, you’ve failed.[/quote]

Get strong or die trying

EXPLODE

Go heavy or go home

I don’t workout, I TRAIN

No Pain No Gain

Yeah buddy LIGHTWEIGHT

If the bar ain’t bendin’ you’re just pretendin’

Satisfaction leads to stagnation.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
And believe it or not there will be a day you decline.[/quote]

Pharma section might help with that problem.

getting strong and big is fun, and is my believe(or at least my personal experience) that streght training makes you a better person, so why stop