T Nation

Do You Switch Grip on Deadlifts?

I guess this only applies to people who grab the bar this way, but I’ve never used straps do I always use a mixed grip. I personally do not switch grips, as having my left hand supinated and right hand pronated feels very awkward. Anyone else find it necessary to switch from set to set?

I used to, but I saw some video of a dude tearing his bi and it freaked me out.

I find my right hand underneath and left over the bar to be ‘nice’ and the alternative to be awkard.

But I force myself to switch each set as I’m paranoid about an imbalance.

Should I not be worried?

I always use a double-overhand grip when doing any kind of deadlift. If my grip starts to fail, then I use straps. I’m not a power lifter and I never plan on competing in power lifting, so the benefit from using a mixed grip isn’t there for me.

I switch too because of the paranoia of developing an imbalance.

I prefer double overhand, but I can actually lift more weight with a mixed grip. I use straps when deadlifting over 315 otherwise I’m usually fine without them.

DG

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I used to, but I saw some video of a dude tearing his bi and it freaked me out.[/quote]

He teared his bicep by switching his grip on deadlifts? That sounds odd.

I used to be worried about an inbalance as well, but doing it the other way is really awkward for me. Maybe if I venture over to the thib zone he could give me some reasons of why it’s necessary to or why it doesn’t matter.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
esk221 wrote:
I used to, but I saw some video of a dude tearing his bi and it freaked me out.

He teared his bicep by switching his grip on deadlifts? That sounds odd.
[/quote]

Not really. That’s the primary reason why using a mixed-grip is advised against. The hand that’s in the ‘under’ grip puts a lot of stress on the bicep.

I meant by switching grips, not by simply using it to begin with. When esk said “I used to,” I figured he meant he used to switch grips before he saw the video. If he meant he used to use a mix grip before he saw the video then stopped, then I simply misunderstood what he initially meant.

Having said that, would not switching grips give you a greater chance of that injury being the same arm is continuously in that same stressful position?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
esk221 wrote:
I used to, but I saw some video of a dude tearing his bi and it freaked me out.

He teared his bicep by switching his grip on deadlifts? That sounds odd.

Not really. That’s the primary reason why using a mixed-grip is advised against. The hand that’s in the ‘under’ grip puts a lot of stress on the bicep.
[/quote]

that’s why you switch the underhand grip from one hand to the other often. I do it after every set. you get used to it pretty quick. mind over matter

I like to pull with one mixed grip conventional and i ‘taught’ myself the other when i pull sumo

i’ve read that deadlifting with an alternating grip puts tourque on the spine. i always use pronated grip on deadlifts. i quit with a the ego building a while back so i dont worry about the weight i’m moving so it doesnt have to be real close to my body.

I prefer the double supinated grip(underhand). I find that it has been beneficial to my shoulder health and upper back strength. If I am going heavy, I switch to a wrapped double pronated grip. I used to use an alternated grip but have switched to the double supinated grip. If I am going to pull heavy without wraps and have chalk I will use an alternated grip since it is the strongest.

I switch it up because of potential for imbalances. But one way definitely more natural than the other.

I don’t switch and I do have an imbalance. It’s not so bad, my left trap (underhand side) just hurts a lot sometimes and stops me from being able to turn my head.

I mix them up all the time now, and by that I mean I have mixed them up a couple of times but fully intend to mix them up all the time now.

Hook grip is supposed to be good if you see no value in opposable thumbs and aren’t a pussy. I guess having two thumbs like a Koala would be handy.

[quote]alien wrote:
i’ve read that deadlifting with an alternating grip puts tourque on the spine. i always use pronated grip on deadlifts. i quit with a the ego building a while back so i dont worry about the weight i’m moving so it doesnt have to be real close to my body.[/quote]

well this mixed grip, “ego lifting”, allows you to hit your back harder because your forearms aren’t as much the weak “link in the chain” in the deadlift. Of course, straps is best but if you don’t want to use straps, mixed grip allows you to lift the most weight, unless some crazy secret grip i haven’t tried yet is better. pronated<mixed grip<straps.

I alternate hands on mixed grip every rep to prevent imbalance. I make sure that I use the stronger version (left hand suplinated) for my last rep since that’s the one I have a hard time with.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
I guess this only applies to people who grab the bar this way, but I’ve never used straps do I always use a mixed grip. I personally do not switch grips, as having my left hand supinated and right hand pronated feels very awkward. Anyone else find it necessary to switch from set to set?[/quote]

Do it long enough you’ll develop an uneven aesthetic balance in your back if you drop enough bodyfat.

I use a mix grip when I go heavy, if I’m doing 6 reps or more than I use double overhand.
When I use a mixed grip I switch each set. I have found one way is a bit more comfortable but both are equally strong and the more I do it the less it bothers me.
On a side note, a power lifter I know always uses a mixed grip and doesnt alternate wich hand is over or under, hasn’t worried him so far.

[quote]kinein wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
I guess this only applies to people who grab the bar this way, but I’ve never used straps do I always use a mixed grip. I personally do not switch grips, as having my left hand supinated and right hand pronated feels very awkward. Anyone else find it necessary to switch from set to set?

Do it long enough you’ll develop an uneven aesthetic balance in your back if you drop enough bodyfat. [/quote]

Well i’m prolly around 8% now, and so far haven’t noticed too much of anything, but I haven’t even been lifting solidly for 3 years yet, 2 of which didn’t involve deadlifts a whole lot so it’s not like I’ve been doing it a lot.

I will probably just start using straps and go with a double over-hand, that seems to work for a lot of people. The more I think about it, the more it seems it’d be easy to develop an imbalance considering the positioning of the scapula if you only used one grip.

Not to hijack, but how much weight would you guys using straps say the straps add to your pulls?

I maxed out at 315 with no straps, and I’m wondering where my ceiling would be with them, with all other things being constants.