Do you stretch enough???

Joel, could you elaborate on your statement, “Most people’s stretching routines won’t cut it to promote growth; even if it is done during training.”

Also, I’ll admit to not being exactly sure of the difference between static and dynamic stretching. One I gather is non-moving, stationary, i.e., static, and the other involves movement, like kicks a martial artist would do to warm up. Correct me if I’m wrong?

Great article. Blends well with what i’ve been reading in Pavel’s book on stretching. Only you gave me the information I really wanted to know . . . how to apply it to strength, hypertrophy and fat loss.

I thought Marc did a good job in his article on JB’s site…I have used, and continue to use, many of the techniques mentioned in that very article (particularly the “advanced” technique to warm up for hypertrophy-based training). Other than pre-workout stretching, I always try and do some static stretching about 4-6hrs post-workout.

Check out next month’s issue of Muscle Media. Everything you need to know about Loaded Passive Stretching will be there.

Good stuff, Tampa. Your name is slightly confusing. I don’t know if your name is Tampa, Terry, or if Tampa is your name and Terry your husband’s or if you live in the Tampa Bay area and your name is Terry…egad.

Anyway, I’m glad to have been of assistance, makes me feel i didn’t type up all that for nothing :0)

To: what is???
My idea of static stretching is holding a stretched muscle at the end of its range of motion (stretched obviously no flexed, duh) holding there for a predetermined period with gentle tension on the muscle. Balistic stretching is a bouncing movement usually taking the stretch slightly past the point of a static stretch. This can obviously be more dangerous if you over do it. Dynamic stretches are more controlled and usually through a larger range of motion.
the only stretches i usually do are dynamic stretches (eg walking lunges and lateral walking sumo squats) with a slow cadence and exagerated ROM. I feel static stretching robs you of strength and NEVER static stretch before heavy lifts. If i use fully ROM on my lifts in general i feel thats all the flexibilty training i need. If i need more i definately favour dynamic stretching.
Joel, where did you get the hypertrophy through sterching idea? any links etc? My neanderthal way of thinking is overload = muscle, so if something (like stretching) makes me weaker i dont do it! Any other opinions

I dont see where pavel contradicts himself…

I stretch at the end of my workouts and follow the Renegade stretching program.

I do Ian Kings “lazy mans stretching” before I lift which takes 8-10 minutes and then do “renegade bodybuilding” stretching for 8-10 minutes after I Lift.

KraigY

Thanks, for the info, but we probably wont get that here in Aus till next year if ever.

Send me an email and I will email you the article because of your special situation.

Joel Marion