Do You Still Workout If You Are Feeling Your Last Workout?

Conversely, if your body is still feeling that last workout, that probably means you have sufficiently trained, but not sufficiently recovered, so instead of spending time training again for diminished returns, your time might be better spent on those toddlers.

Personally, gym time is a necessary evil. I’m trying to do the minimum and get the maximum out so I have more time for all the other things in life.

I liked reading the three posts in a row:
@H1ghIntensity does HIT, and he’s doing well
@T3hPwnisher typically does some form of 5/3/1 or similar with a big conditioning emphasis, and is obviously doing well
@ChongLordUno does burpees or some other such nonsense, and is an absolutely different person than when he was trying to force himself into bodybuilding templates

There’s a lot of roads to Rome!

This is a much better thread than “do it my way if you’re stupid”.

Anyway, to the question, I like body part splits because I can always train sore and get some movement to the area without having to deal with a particularly sore muscle. It’s relatively dummy-proof, and I am a dummy.

5 Likes

Time spent on toddlers doesn’t fall under the category of ‘rest day’, especially when you have a daughter as hyper as mines :joy:

2 Likes

There are too many factors involved with perceptions of soreness/pain for me to confidently say that a sore muscle means im not recovered and that training said sore muscle would be counter-productive

1 Like

“active recovery” haha

1 Like

The saying goes

there a numerous ways to skin a cat, :laughing:

2 Likes

The best results I’ve had have always come from periods where I was physically taxed before starting my work out.
The secret is to remember there are multiple ways to tax your body. So if it’s fucked in one respect, use another. I’m just learning how to do this now. The day after doing heavy front squats I can and will do back squats lighter for larger number of reps.
It’s not easy and you have to work through some discomfort. But it’s possible. And effective.

And the more I do this sort of stuff the more I believe - rest is not recovery. Rest in inaction. Recovery can and maybe should be proactive. Again this doesn’t mean do leg day 7 times a week. But clearly you can exercise every day. You only have to look at cross fit or our own @T3hPwnisher as evidence for this.

1 Like

It’s interesting to see how opinions differ so thank you all for taking the time to respond. I am trying to get past the mentality that more is better and to accept the need for rest days.

I started lifting when I was 15 and I’m now coming up to 29 years old. From the very beginning I started out with the high volume approach - training 6, sometimes 7 days a week, there was even a period for a while where I trained twice a day for 6 days per week. I was obsessed and would not miss a workout for anything. I did make progress training this way - I went from 47kg to 70kg over the course of 10 years, but then I had a cycling accident and one of my injuries was two fractured wrists. After they had healed I could not bend them back more than 10 degrees which basically meant I was unable to do any sort of pressing. Despite numerous attempts to work through it and improve the flexibility I eventually gave up training.

Over time the mobility gradually returned and I got to a point about a year ago where I could now bend the wrists back about 45 degrees, after not doing any exercise, back down to about 53kg and wanting to start working out again. I had sort of come to terms with not being able to train the way I did before and after the time off I realised I did not want to go back to that level of obsession anyway. I started doing circuit training combining calisthenics, cardio intervals, plyometrics and some weights. These were about 45mins long including warm up and cool down stretching, 6 days per week and I improved my fitness, lost some fat, regained a little muscle but more importantly, I had regained full wrist mobility.

Then I read High Intensity Training the Mike Mentzer Way and my whole perspective was changed. Everything he said sounded logical and it gave me hope that I could have the physique I want without going back to training 9-18 hours a week. I had never before heard of such a training approach despite my years of bodybuilding experience so I wanted to learn everything about this. I read numerous books including those my Ellington Darden and began to implement the training style.

The rest days though, are definitely something I struggle with. I have started off with full body workouts, one exercise/one set per body part. To begin with I just did straight sets to failure and when training this way I would have one day of rest between workouts. Now I am trialling pre/post exhaust and so am currently having 2 days off between workouts. On my days off I may do a little cardio or stretching/foam rolling. I’ve gone from 53 to 56kg, gained half an inch on my arms (relaxed and cold), waist has stayed the same, and this is from about 6 weeks of HIT! I know that ‘muscle memory’ probably has a lot to do with this but I am still amazed at the progress.

3 Likes