T Nation

Do You Push Press?

This exercise gets a lot of love in the CT(HTH) forum with CT calling it “the best overall shoulder builder” but I rarely (from my observation) see it mentioned in the bb forum side.

Have you guys seen large returns from this specific exercise as opposed to another OHP movement? I’ve mostly used Seated DB press since I can lift heaviest in this movement but do switch to the push press from time to time.

I’ve been using the push press for a couple of months now and my shoulders are improving quite well. But there are too many other factors for me to say it’s just the push press.

Push press just seems more natural to me, definitely seen an increase in size, and its also increased my strict OHP.

I’ve always been confused as to what the advantages of push press are as opposed to a strict OHP. Obviously you can lift more weight, and for a rugby player such as myself, it’s sports specific, but in terms of building muscle? Isn’t it more beneficial for your shoulder muscles to be under more stress through the whole ROM?

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
I’ve been using the push press for a couple of months now and my shoulders are improving quite well.[/quote]

What does this mean?

[quote]RTJenforcer wrote:
I’ve always been confused as to what the advantages of push press are as opposed to a strict OHP. Obviously you can lift more weight, and for a rugby player such as myself, it’s sports specific, but in terms of building muscle? Isn’t it more beneficial for your shoulder muscles to be under more stress through the whole ROM?[/quote]

In a push press, 1) someone can use more weight, and 2) someone can lift the bar much more explosively while still using their shoulders. These two reasons are why I’ve found the push press to be superior to any overhead pressing movement for muscle development. There is only a minimal amount of leg drive in the push press, the shoulders are still thoroughly stressed.

In my own case, I’ve found the push press to be awesome for not only traps and anterior delts, but my lateral delts as well. I like to focus on big lifts for overall development, so I don’t even need to do lateral raises right now (keep in mind I’m not a bodybuilder).

I’ve always been confused as to what the advantages of push press are as opposed to a strict OHP. Obviously you can lift more weight, and for a rugby player such as myself, it’s sports specific, but in terms of building muscle? Isn’t it more beneficial for your shoulder muscles to be under more stress through the whole ROM?[/quote]

Well, you’re using a greater weight when performing the push press, so technically there’s a greater amount of “stress” placed on the shoulders. As I understand it, the momentum generated from the legs should be just enough to overcome the weak position at the bottom of the lift, meaning that a greater force can be generated from the deltoids where the arms are in a more mechanically advantageous position, meaning overall stress placed on the muscle group is greater.

I can imagine on a graph of time against force output that there is a greater peak contraction by the push press vs the OHP provided a heavier weight is used.

Maximum benefit from the push press comes from applying the correct amount of force from the legs.

^ So you’re basically just using your legs to beat the inertia at the bottom of the movement then? That makes sense.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
I’ve been using the push press for a couple of months now and my shoulders are improving quite well.[/quote]

What does this mean?[/quote]

They’ve grown three inches since I last measured them, and have visually improved.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

In a push press, 1) someone can use more weight, and 2) someone can lift the bar much more explosively while still using their shoulders. These two reasons are why I’ve found the push press to be superior to any overhead pressing movement for muscle development. There is only a minimal amount of leg drive in the push press, the shoulders are still thoroughly stressed.

In my own case, I’ve found the push press to be awesome for not only traps and anterior delts, but my lateral delts as well. I like to focus on big lifts for overall development, so I don’t even need to do lateral raises right now (keep in mind I’m not a bodybuilder).[/quote]

For me the push press is also great for the serratus.

^ So you’re basically just using your legs to beat the inertia at the bottom of the movement then? That makes sense.[/quote]

The logic for BB purposes is that it’s about “feeling” the movement and not about using full ROM or strict form. Think about guys who do cheat curls or cheat raises to help them at the bottom portion of the movement.

In this video Antoine Vaillant is doing 100lb DB cheat lateral raises and his shoulders aren’t small:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4stei1dlUTU

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

They’ve grown three inches since I last measured them, and have visually improved.[/quote]

Your pic in your profile says you were cutting as of July 2010. So, for a couple months now, you’ve been using push presses, some of which while cutting, and you’ve added 3 inches.

That is impressive! …

Not trying to be a dick, but when I read something I don’t understand or need clarified (like “I made progress” – I ask “What KIND of progress… please explain…”) I ask because I want to understand.

When someone gives advice (and quotes from experience) in the BB forum, the first thing I do if I’m not familiar with them is look at their profile. Some things don’t add up. I try to take people at their word.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

They’ve grown three inches since I last measured them, and have visually improved.[/quote]

Your pic in your profile says you were cutting as of July 2010. So, for a couple months now, you’ve been using push presses, some of which while cutting, and you’ve added 3 inches.

That is impressive! …

Not trying to be a dick, but when I read something I don’t understand or need clarified (like “I made progress” – I ask “What KIND of progress… please explain…”) I ask because I want to understand.

When someone gives advice (and quotes from experience) in the BB forum, the first thing I do if I’m not familiar with them is look at their profile. Some things don’t add up. I try to take people at their word.[/quote]

Last time I measured them was before I started the cut, which was July 5th.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

That is impressive! …

When someone gives advice (and quotes from experience) in the BB forum, the first thing I do if I’m not familiar with them is look at their profile. Some things don’t add up. I try to take people at their word.[/quote]

[/quote]

Fair enough! Then, good work dude!

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

That is impressive! …

[/quote]

Just to clarify, they grew three inches in one month while cutting? That is indeed impressive

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

That is impressive! …

[/quote]

Fair enough! Then, good work dude![/quote]

Sorry, I should have been clearer, but I was too lazy to hash out the training history.

I’ve always liked the push press. A combo I stumbled on this past year, which I really liked, and kept all through my Spring prep was to do reverse grip military presses followed my standing push presses. The first exercise was very strict, and really targeted the anterior portion of the muscle in a pre-exhaust manner. When I got to the second movement, I was already somewhat fatigued, and the looser approach, and heavier weight just fried whatever else I had left in the tank.

S

I have had some minor shoulder issues in the past and I have steered away from the push press for about 6 months now. I recently tried push press and after having taken all that time off my push press was as strong and maybe a little stronger than it had been 6 months ago. This leads me to believe that the excercises you can do to supplement for the push press can be just as good as the push press.

I probably wont be doing push press on a regular basis because it scares me. Id rather do other shoulder lifts and stay safe so I can continue to train. ( Thats just me) I will throw it in every now and again because I think its a great excercise and one of the most gratifying out there.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve always liked the push press. A combo I stumbled on this past year, which I really liked, and kept all through my Spring prep was to do reverse grip military presses followed my standing push presses. The first exercise was very strict, and really targeted the anterior portion of the muscle in a pre-exhaust manner. When I got to the second movement, I was already somewhat fatigued, and the looser approach, and heavier weight just fried whatever else I had left in the tank.

S[/quote]

Nice. I’ll be stealing this thank you.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

^ So you’re basically just using your legs to beat the inertia at the bottom of the movement then? That makes sense.[/quote]

The logic for BB purposes is that it’s about “feeling” the movement and not about using full ROM or strict form. Think about guys who do cheat curls or cheat raises to help them at the bottom portion of the movement.

In this video Antoine Vaillant is doing 100lb DB cheat lateral raises and his shoulders aren’t small:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4stei1dlUTU[/quote] [/quote]

Antoine! LOL

I’m happy to see he is becoming more well known, I have followed Antoine’s bodybuilding career since he was like 16 years old. Now this is a guy who deserves to have a thread dedicated to him, it’s too bad he thinks T-Nation is full of whining idiots and I don’t believe he ever posts here LOL.