Do You Prefer 5s Pro or 5/3/1? And Why?

I’ve been running 531 for about a year now - it’s easily the most effective system I’ve tried, and the strength gains are consistent.

From what I read in Forever, I’m not able to discern exactly why Jim likes either 531 or 5s progression. I’ve been doing 5’s for some time now, regardless of template, and I always mix up the weeks to 3/5/1 order as I feel like it allows me more rest for my heaviest week. I’ve recently been wanting to change it up a bit, keeping the 3/5/1 order, but using the 531 progression model as opposed to the 5s.

Which model do you prefer, and why do you prefer it?

5s pro for leaders, 5/3/1 for anchors. In most cases.

I have a long winded, old man explanation, so I can’t blame you for bailing on me if you’re easily bored. Just be prepared for some background info.

I ran a variation of a program (commonly called the “LSUS 10-5-3”) for years. I was extremely successful with the outcome, but it was definitely a challenge. I did not do the usual (bastardized) variation of the program (found here: http://jaredenderton.com/lsu-shreveport-lifting-program/). This variation is horseshit in my opinion and it doesn’t put enough thought into the long term progress of the athlete.

I did it more according to the original NSCA article found here: https://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Abstract/2006/04000/Weightlifting__Program_Design.1.aspx

The variation of that program I ran for years had a horrible 5x5 phase. It was definitely the part of the program that broke me down the most. So I have a definite aversion to a lot of 5’s.

I also ran the “Advanced 531” from “Beyond” and it had a 5x5 period that I frequently lowered to 3 sets, just because 5x5 has traditionally beat me up so much.

I started with the BFS program in 6th grade (which has a huge 5’s component). So this will be the 20th year lifting for me, and I haven’t taken more than a month off since I started. Training really helps me psychologically as much as physically, so I’ve never taken much time off. I don’t want or need to.

That said, I don’t ever do the 5’s PRO, since I’ve developed a hate for multiple sets of 5’s after doing them for years. I always do the 5/3/1 if there is a choice between 5’s PRO and the 5/3/1. I don’t do many PR sets for the 5/3/1 either. If I want to push higher reps, I’ll do a Juarez Valley type thing from Josh Bryant (Juarez Valley 8, Deadlift Challenge at EliteFTS Compound - YouTube) at FSL.
I also like experimenting with the Chino State Method from Bryant as well (Chino State Method---Chest & Back Training - YouTube)

The Bryant stuff unfortunately has too much of the macho, meathead bullshit incorporated into the presentation, but the actual methods/protocols are short, effective and a nice break from set after set of 5’s after I’ve already done set after set of 5’s.
They’re psychologically a lifesaver for my supplementary/assistance training.

Frankly both 5s PRO and 5/3/1 with PR sets are great. I found 5s PRO if your training max is calculated right, is quite a good way to get some decent work in without breaking it off in you.

As a fellow in the latter half of 3rd decade of my life (as Dante would say, halfway along the journey of life) I find 5s PRO is pretty damn sustainable.

My current program runs this:

Lead 1: 5s PRO
Lead 2: 5/3/1
Lead 3: 3/5/1 with Joker sets

That said, in January of this year I intend to run the Krypteia program (the 2x/week version for fighters Jim wrote of in a recent article), for hopefully my jiujitsu gym opens again…