T Nation

Do You Partner Up?

I have been training for ten years now and found that the greatest supplement to a workout is a partner with the same goals and intensity as yourself. I have had training partners in the past, but none stuck around long. They would usually fade away and stop training.

So I trained by myself for a long time. It wasn’t until I got together with who I train with now that I have seen the greatest gains in strength and mass. It started out as working in with him on squats and grew to aligning our routines on the same days at the same time. Now we are a team. We have broken plateaus that previously exisited and found a new drive to training.

There’s something about having someone there to pump you up and give a quality spot when needed. He has more training in PL, so I have also learned a lot from him about the DL. He’s a strong fucker too, so it’s always a lighthearted match to see who can outlift the other. I have to say that I missed out on quality training without a partner. Just wondering if anyone feels the same way?

I really enjoy training with someone else, mainly because they help psych you up for each set. But at the moment I train by myself, and enjoy being able to power through a workout just with my headphones on and not having to worry about anyone else, changing weights for each set and so on.

Well I guess I should said that we are pretty close in terms of strength. We progress with the same weight. Only ceratin movements do the weights change significantly. Whatever he picks up or squats is what I pick up or squat and vice versa. The one whose the more psyched will lead the weight progression.

It’s good for the days where if you were alone, you would slack and not push yourself. We don’t alow each other to slack.

I do better alone, but that’s probably because my only partner is less dedicated (and more naturally cut) than I am

I don’t have a workout partner but I’ve had a few in the past. To each their own of course, but for me, I’ve excelled much more since going it alone. I go into the gym, crank my CD’s and do my own thing. None of the other partners I’ve had has lasted. I just get way more focused and into it by myself.

I like both, but I prefer a partner. I can get a really intense workout at home by myself, but when I have a workout partner at school it helps drive me to be stronger. I usually get one that is stronger than me in at least one lift. I focus on that lift and try my damndest to pass them, and usually in a matter of months I blow right past 'em.

Yeah-probably if they have the same inensity, dedication, and goals. Not so much otherwise. At school, I worked out with some of my frat brothers sometimes. It was nice to have a spotter, but only a few lifted with proper intensity or did what I would consider proper workouts.

Home for the summer, I usually work out alone. I haven’t suffered for lack of a spotter-I just use the power rack and squat rack when necessary and set up the pins properly. I can do any exercise I wish. My workouts haven’t suffered any.

Yeah, man.

I don’t really work out with my buddy Dave but we read T-mag, pick up supps, and have fitness dicussions together. He motivated me a lot of the time, because we have similar goals and experience.

Too bad he’s going away to school before me and is having doubt about keeping up with his diet. No worries, though… I’ll be living in his city soon enough to get his ass straightened up.

Well , I figured that the more dedicated people would do better alone. I just wanted to point out how much more productive I am with someone that is competent ,reliable, and as dedicated as I am.

I train with a good crew of about eight guys. We are all different, but we are all like minded in our goals. We range from 15 to 50, but we are all trying to be the best we can be and always strive to increase our totals. Hooking up with my PL team was the best thing I have ever done. Not only do I have eight great training partners, I have eight brothers who will support me even if I stop lifting tomorrow. A good partner can really make a difference not only in the gym, but in every day life. It is also good to have a couple of guys around pushing 700 lb benches and 800 lb squats.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
I train with a good crew of about eight guys. We are all different, but we are all like minded in our goals. We range from 15 to 50, but we are all trying to be the best we can be and always strive to increase our totals. Hooking up with my PL team was the best thing I have ever done. Not only do I have eight great training partners, I have eight brothers who will support me even if I stop lifting tomorrow. A good partner can really make a difference not only in the gym, but in every day life. It is also good to have a couple of guys around pushing 700 lb benches and 800 lb squats. [/quote]

That’s what I’m talking about. Being with a “team” makes a big difference. I don’t want to keep beating the drum, but I got way more out of partnering than I thought I could. It’s good to know that there are people that won’t let you fail.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
I train with a good crew of about eight guys. [/quote]

8!! Man i’d hate to train at your gym - “hey guys got many more sets left on the rack?” - hmm let me see we are doing 3 sets of 12 x 8! - sorry but i get real pissed off when people train in big groups. For me i have a training partner for Chest and delts, all else it’s solo all the way

I’ve had training partners in the past and had two different experiences. The first was another girl who was far less dedicated then I was and I had to push her to finish the last 5 or so reps of almost every set she was doing. It was frustrating because it felt like I had nothing left to push myself with when it came to my workout, all my focus was on getting her to lift. She also felt I was showing off when I lifted more than her.

The second was a guy whos training philosophies differed so much from mine that we got into arguments in the middle of the gym over why I wouldn’t do triceps kickbacks and why I was pissed that he walked away in the middle of a heavy squat I’d asked him to spot. He wanted to get cut but not big, held himself back on every set, and worked in 10-15 reps ranges on everything.

So I lift alone. I am looking forward to lifting with my new roommate when I move. She’s much more goal oriented and serious about being strong and healthy so I’m hoping we prove to be a good source of motivation for each other.

Count yourself as fortunate if you ever fing a “good” partner who shares the same goals and dedication as you. It’s been the hardest thing for me.

The only partner I ever had that fit the mold ended up taking a job on third shift, so we parted ways on schedule, then I moved. He pushed me and I made great gains. Truth be told, at the time I was probably holding him back.

Since then I have had many partners who were good friends, but lacked dedication. I carried most of them and they would see great gains, but laziness would catch up with them and they would quit going to the gym.

A ‘GOOD’ partner can make ALL the difference as far as gains and motivation. They are just hard to come by.

Working out alone and with a partner are two completely different things, both appropriate/beneficial in their own aspect. But after lifting alone for so long, not having been able to find the right partner, it’s something that would help drastically. I hardly get to push me self BB bencing for lack of a spot. If youre in north, north/west jersey, let me know, part kidding, part serious. Keep up the work.

[quote]Faraz421 wrote:
Working out alone and with a partner are two completely different things, both appropriate/beneficial in their own aspect. But after lifting alone for so long, not having been able to find the right partner, it’s something that would help drastically. I hardly get to push me self BB bencing for lack of a spot. If youre in north, north/west jersey, let me know, part kidding, part serious. Keep up the work.[/quote]

i would have to agree. i find myself more apt to just calling it quits if im by myself, as opposed to working out with someone else, where i feel as if im almost letting them down by stopping or not giving it my all. i have a serious problem with quitting on/disappointing someone. oh and i got the BB stuck the other night…not a pleasant feeling having to roll it down to your waist… hence the added need for a partner

Yes, if you can find someone dependable with the same drive, it’s an amazing experience working with a good partner.

They’re hard to find, though, so make the most of it when you can.

Hey BIGRAGOO, you are right we’ve made some big gains since we started lifting together. Most of the guys at the gym that we consider “big lifters” made really big gains when they had a workout partner or partners. You can make good gains by your self, but you wont always try for that extra rep with out a spotter. Oh, by the way are you having fun a work? Ha, Ha. P.S. EAT MORE ANIMALS

I train alone.

I’ll train my wife, but I’m more of a screaming nuisance in her ear than a training partner.

I’d like to have a partner that could help spot me on heavy lifts, and fetch the trash can when I’m about to puke. It’d be nice to have a bud that shared the same goals that you could talk to in real life - but this shit hole town has all of 600 people in it. Poor me.

[quote]RYNO wrote:
Oh, by the way are you having fun a work? Ha, Ha. P.S. EAT MORE ANIMALS [/quote]

I’m having a blast. And yes animals are endangered species, especially the bovine and fowl persuasion.