T Nation

Do You Notice Fish Oil Effects

I have a bottle, I’m not using it. Expires next year so i figure i’ll get on the consumption and put it to use since i paid for it. I just started training again so i wanted to get off to the best start possible. So i started using it

No, I don’t. But, in the grand scheme of my diet I don’t expect miracles from it, rather trusting the research and the idea behind why it would help long-term

oh yeah?

If by “notice” you mean via bloodwork/lipid panel results, then yes.

If by “notice” you mean via stiffer joints and needing longer warm-up periods when you’re not consistently taking em, then yes.

If by “notice” you mean in the same way that caffeine or nicotine or alcohol are noticed, then no.

I think a lot of people expect something miraculous to occur overnight with any supplement. Something like Fish Oils IMO you take for the long haul.

In my case, with the matter of my joints, I do notice a difference when I’ve stopped taking them in the past. In terms of body composition, I can’t say for certain, because although I’ve been smarter diet wise in past off seasons. I do feel they have contributed to a better overall body comp, but I’m sure that a greater amount of LBM has also had an impact.

S

[quote]chillain wrote:
If by “notice” you mean via bloodwork/lipid panel results, then yes.

If by “notice” you mean via stiffer joints and needing longer warm-up periods when you’re not consistently taking em, then yes.

If by “notice” you mean in the same way that caffeine or nicotine or alcohol are noticed, then no.

[/quote]

Well said

I noticeably leaned out when I introduced fish oil to my diet. I went from a low intake of omega 3’s to 6 g of fish oil + a lot of ground flax so that might’ve made a difference.

I don’t eat meat and hardly spend money on protein powder any more, but I consider fish oil an essential! Not everyone can afford to buy grassfed/cagefree/organic/omega3 enhanced foods, but at the very least I think we should all be taking fish oil daily.

It definitely has helped will elbow pain. Completely got rid of my pain after I stated taking it.

Never noticed anything with Fish Oil. Had hoped it would provide some joint pain relief. I never had a blood panel done so this may tell a different tale.

Now, Curcumin taken with bioperine gave me noticeable joint pain relief within 2 weeks.

I’ve read that the body can’t really do anything with more than 3 grams of omega 3s a day. Also, taking the full 3 grams is going to be of limited use unless you also cut back on your omega 6s.

I first started taking fish oil but didn’t otherwise change my diet. It didn’t do much. When I got the proportions down to 1:1 or 1:2 (omega 3 to omega 6) that is when I started feeling the difference.

This is a good read:
robbwolf.com/2011/10/05/fish-oil/

–Me

[quote]kravi wrote:
I’ve read that the body can’t really do anything with more than 3 grams of omega 3s a day. Also, taking the full 3 grams is going to be of limited use unless you also cut back on your omega 6s.

I first started taking fish oil but didn’t otherwise change my diet. It didn’t do much. When I got the proportions down to 1:1 or 1:2 (omega 3 to omega 6) that is when I started feeling the difference.

This is a good read:
robbwolf.com/2011/10/05/fish-oil/

–Me[/quote]

What you’ve read is wrong. Amazes me how this stuff gets out there. The body will use what you give it, now granted, if you take 30g at once it may for some people be more likely to pass through.

Just reminds me of those “your body can only use 30g of protein at one meal”.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]kravi wrote:
I’ve read that the body can’t really do anything with more than 3 grams of omega 3s a day. Also, taking the full 3 grams is going to be of limited use unless you also cut back on your omega 6s.

I first started taking fish oil but didn’t otherwise change my diet. It didn’t do much. When I got the proportions down to 1:1 or 1:2 (omega 3 to omega 6) that is when I started feeling the difference.

This is a good read:
robbwolf.com/2011/10/05/fish-oil/

–Me[/quote]

What you’ve read is wrong. Amazes me how this stuff gets out there. The body will use what you give it, now granted, if you take 30g at once it may for some people be more likely to pass through.

Just reminds me of those “your body can only use 30g of protein at one meal”.
[/quote]

Wrong. Ok. Here is what I have read:

“What I had not initially considered is signaling, be it anti or pro-inflammatory is a cell by cell affair, and this is based largely on the make-up of fatty acids in our cell membranes. In an inflamed, sick, standard American diet model, individuals have a significant overabundance of linoleic acid in their cell membranes. The idea of front loading more EPA/DHA to change the fatty acid profile of our cells is great until you run into the brick-wall of our metabolic machinery. Cell fatty acid turnover cannot be â??goosedâ?? from behind like shoving a bungee jumper off a bridge. Fatty acid turnover has a rate limiting step that is not â??substrate limited.â?? Or, in non-geek-speak more fish oil will not make the process go faster. Instead we need to limit the intake of linoleic acid, keep a decent intake of EPA/DHA, but we need not, and in fact should not hammer that dosage, as we will see when we look at oxidative stress and free-radical chemistry.”

Why am I wrong? Do you have a study that shows the cells can take unlimited amounts of EHA/DHA? Instead of saying “you are wrong, this is amazing, balh blah blah” give me some studies, man. I’d love to be wrong and have a shortcut.

–Me

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]kravi wrote:
I’ve read that the body can’t really do anything with more than 3 grams of omega 3s a day. Also, taking the full 3 grams is going to be of limited use unless you also cut back on your omega 6s.

I first started taking fish oil but didn’t otherwise change my diet. It didn’t do much. When I got the proportions down to 1:1 or 1:2 (omega 3 to omega 6) that is when I started feeling the difference.

This is a good read:
robbwolf.com/2011/10/05/fish-oil/

–Me[/quote]

What you’ve read is wrong. Amazes me how this stuff gets out there. The body will use what you give it, now granted, if you take 30g at once it may for some people be more likely to pass through.

Just reminds me of those “your body can only use 30g of protein at one meal”.
[/quote]

P.S. Check out my protein thread… :wink:

–Me

Where in there does it say 3g is the limit. And 3g of fish oil is not the same as 3g EPA/DHA :wink:

Can the body utilize more than 3g of omega-6 at a time? How about saturated fat?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Where in there does it say 3g is the limit. And 3g of fish oil is not the same as 3g EPA/DHA :wink:

Can the body utilize more than 3g of omega-6 at a time? How about saturated fat?[/quote]

It doesn’t talk about hard limits. It talks about 2 - 4 grams of EPA/DHAs a day and limiting linolenic acid. Anything more is wasted.

Also, I specified 3grams of EPA/DHA, not fish oil :wink:

The article as a whole talks about the futility of trying to compensate for too many omega 6s by just “upping the omega 3s”. It says that it doesn’t work for multiple reasons, and limiting the omega 6s is key.

–Me

interesing: just ran across this today on Lyle McD’s site:

: I read in quite a lot of places that fish oil capsules or cod liver oil are a great supplement for controlling inflammation and improving nutrient partitioning, but no one gives any information about dosing. I have no idea how much of this stuff to ingest. Have you formed any guidelines as a result of your research?

A: A fairly standard dose of fish oil in the studies is the equivalent of 6X1 gram capsules. The average capsule has 180 mg epa and 120 dha so 6 capsules will provide 1020 mg epa and 720mg dha for a total of 1.8 grams of total fish oil. I would consider this basically the minimum daily amount that would be beneficial on any level.

Some work has identified that the body will hit a limit (in terms of plasma saturation) on DHA at 1.2 grams per day which is the equivalent of 10X1 gram fish oil capsules. That would also provide 1.8 grams EPA for a total of 3 grams per day of fish oil. Under most conditions, I think this is more than enough.

A friend who uses fish oiils to control her arthritis will often go as high as 15X1 gram capsules although I haven?t seen that supported in the literature. I?d note that higher doses are not better here (although some are currently recommending absurd amounts). Excessive fish oil can impair the body?s ability to mount a proper immune response, as well as impairing insulin release.

Carlson?s fish oil contains roughly the equivalent of 4X1 gram fish oil capsules per tsp., I don?t know the values on cod liver oil offhand.

My current generic recommendation is the middle level, 10X1 gram capsules per day for 3 grams total fish oil. This should provide maximal benefits (in terms of partitioning and health) with minimum negatives. Individuals trying to control a specific excessive inflammatory condition may wish to experiment with higher doses (15X1 grams capsules or 3-4 tsp Carlson?s fish oil per day).

By “eating clean”, you know avoiding refined plant oils particularly god-awful soybean crap, you should improve your O6:O3 ratio with O3 supps.

I stopped taking fish oil about 2 weeks ago, maybe a smidge more. Just ran out of it. Kept forgetting to buy more.

I slowly noticed my elbows getting a little sore and clicky as have my shoulders. I’ve just bought more a few days ago and my elbows are better already with my shoulders coming good too.

Its helped my elbows and kness during times when I’m repping like crazy, but when it comes to diet-wise I ain’t sure. Maybe it has and I just dont know what to look for as a sign.

I notice it in my joints. Not immediately but long term.