Do You Love What You Do?

[quote]HogLover wrote:
All I need is for TC or Tim Patterson to approach me to be an assignment/travel writer for T-mag.[/quote]

I don’t have a useful example since I’ve always been pretty lucky with my jobs, but then I have to admit that even when some were dull, I still manage to have fun and/or end up having a good time.

But the post I quoted made me think of that: you’re ripe for some change, that’s pretty clear but you’re waiting for it to happen to you. Why don’t you make it happen? I’m sure TC will at the very least consider an article from you, if that’s what you want to do. From there, who knows where it’ll land you?

BTW, search for it in the archive, but Chris Shugart wrote about how he came to be T-Nation’s assistant editor in his blog. It all began with an email and a few suggestions…

I love what I do…now. I worked in clothing retail for over 8 years through college and post-graduation. I liked it, but I didn’t love it. Now, I’m a full time masters student working on a degree in Sport Management, because I LOVE sports, and it truly is my passion.

I left my full-time job, which paid me $36,000/yr plus bonuses, to go back to school full time to make next to nothing. But you know what? I’ve never been happier in my life. I’m following my passion, and when you follow your passion, money is a secondary factor, and happiness and peace of mind is the key.

Whatever job I get for the rest of my life, I know I will be happy, because I will be working in a field I truly love. That’s what matters.

You only live once. Follow your dreams, work hard, and you’ll enjoy who you truly are.

And we have bingo!

Certainly there is a fine line: most people’s desires require a bit of an investment–both time and money–that you simply can’t afford when you’re just a newbie to the workforce. But I think it holds that the ULTIMATE goal should always be in the back of your mind. I know for me, personally, I want to eventually throw all my energy toward art.

As of now, however, I have to settle for it being a hobby that I don’t have much time for. Between my job, studying for an exam and lifting, there isn’t much time left over. But, again, the ultimate goal is still there and I’m certainly young enough that I know it’ll be there in another decade.

As for me, I’m currently a manager of a mutual fund group but (speak of the devil!) just accepted an offer at a different company (as a product development analyst)…smaller company, more hands-on position, much more analytical work, and more money (hehe…that always helps).

And the above fits perfectly into this discussion: I was miserable in my current role, I was moving fast within the company but the ladder doesn’t lead anywhere I want it to, and I found myself drained at the end of a day because of the first two points.

Finally, I wanted to point out a more relevant example (to the OP’s current situation): my father graduated with an accounting degree, took a job in a prison out of necessity (three young children in 6 years can do that to you), and has risen to the CFO of the prison and he’s actually turned down the opportunity to run for sheriff of the prison. He’s always loved music and while he wasn’t able to follow through with his desires while he had young kids at home and a job (sometimes 2 or 3) to support the aforementioned kids, he never forgot about it. He now sings for the church choir, plays in two different bands and is has almost finished his masters requirements in music so he can teach when he retires.

There’s always time for your ultimate goals, you just have to keep them in mind and know that you’re always working toward them, no matter how slow and brutal the process may be.

My wife and I bought a hot sauce shop and gift shop in a touristy area about a year and a half ago. We had always wanted to own a business and quit working for the man.

We actually work fewer hours than before (we were both exempt from ot) and we haven’t set the alarm clock since. It has really been the most enjoyable part of my life. Sure we gave up some earnings, but the bills get paid on time and we can save some money.

Find what you like and do it! Either that or suck it up and keep wishin’ until you retire.

Good Luck.

Sorry I couldn’t be a bummer.

[quote]Hambone1818 wrote:

Certainly there is a fine line: most people’s desires require a bit of an investment–both time and money–that you simply can’t afford when you’re just a newbie to the workforce. But I think it holds that the ULTIMATE goal should always be in the back of your mind. I know for me, personally, I want to eventually throw all my energy toward art.
[/quote]

No question it takes a LOT of planning, time and desire. I was in the regular workforce 10 years before I gave it a shot. (And only working one job I might add.) Even then my regular job had to turn rotten to help me get over my fear of leaving a regular paycheck behind.

There is one thing that has really impacted me. One day I was listening to talk radio and someone had interviewed lots of elderly people; old folks who are looking back on their lives. Some huge percentage of them (I believe it was 95%) said they wished they had taken more risks. In other words, 95% of them regretted living “normal”. I’ve tried to remember this often.
And what your Dad did sounds really cool. Great dedication!

I hate my job in the most sincere, deep down, honest way. I am a teller-the equivalent of the burger king french fry guy, but without the power to spit on your food-at a credit union (which means its like a bank, but pays you less).

I am leaving in a few weeks to go to school and I have been told by several of my coworkers who arent so lucky that I should feel very happy that I am able to get out of that place. This will be my absolute last summer working there, Iv said that before, but this time I mean it.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
I am leaving in a few weeks to go to school and I have been told by several of my coworkers who arent so lucky that I should feel very happy that I am able to get out of that place. This will be my absolute last summer working there, Iv said that before, but this time I mean it.[/quote]

You should tell your coworkers that they should feel very happy that they’re able to do this instead of digging ditches or mining coal. I’m not trying to give you a hard time… but it’s all a matter of perspective, isn’t it?

[quote]nephorm wrote:
fightingtiger wrote:
I am leaving in a few weeks to go to school and I have been told by several of my coworkers who arent so lucky that I should feel very happy that I am able to get out of that place. This will be my absolute last summer working there, Iv said that before, but this time I mean it.

You should tell your coworkers that they should feel very happy that they’re able to do this instead of digging ditches or mining coal. I’m not trying to give you a hard time… but it’s all a matter of perspective, isn’t it?[/quote]

That sentiment is understandable, but they are referring to the fact that I have something that I can do that will get me out of the company. This particular company doesnt leave much opportunity for advancement and many of my coworkers dont have the educational background to go and get a better job, nor can they afford to go to school.

Iv dug ditches too…that definitely qualifies as a shittier job, but its not nearly as mindfuckingly boring.

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
I love what I do…now. I worked in clothing retail for over 8 years through college and post-graduation. I liked it, but I didn’t love it. Now, I’m a full time masters student working on a degree in Sport Management, because I LOVE sports, and it truly is my passion.

I left my full-time job, which paid me $36,000/yr plus bonuses, to go back to school full time to make next to nothing. But you know what? I’ve never been happier in my life. I’m following my passion, and when you follow your passion, money is a secondary factor, and happiness and peace of mind is the key.

Whatever job I get for the rest of my life, I know I will be happy, because I will be working in a field I truly love. That’s what matters.

You only live once. Follow your dreams, work hard, and you’ll enjoy who you truly are.[/quote]

Are you married or do you have any kids? Did you have to move somewhere that had a Sports Management degree program?

to all of you who aren’t married and/or don’t have kids, do what you can now. i’m not saying it’s impossible after you’re married with kids, but there’s no way I can quit my job (that I pretty much hate too) until I have another one lined up.

i’ve been doing the same thing for about 7 years now for three different companies, and feel like i’m kind of stuck doing what I do because if I quit and take a job doing something else it’s going to mean a pay cut for sure.

starting over I guess is a way I look at it and I want to, but can’t.

work is where you endure mundane drudgery for money…that’s it

I am a Home Remodeled and Repair Man. I really like my job. The older I get the more I like it.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
tmoney1 wrote:

Are you married or do you have any kids? Did you have to move somewhere that had a Sports Management degree program?
[/quote]

I am single with no kids, so it’s easier for me because I’m just looking after myself. I moved 800 miles away from my hometown to pursue my degree, but I was willing to go anywhere in pursuit of an education, and I knew that I would have to, so moving was not a big deal.

I know you have a family, so it makes it harder. Have you talked to your family about this? Does your spouse know your passion? Does your spouse support your passion?

Maybe if you get a part-time job as a sports or travel writer, see how you like it, then make the transition fully. You mentioned in your original post that once to make it to a certain level, you are enslaved to that salary and it’s hard to increase. Well, if sports or travel writing is what you want to do, salary should be secondary. At least you will be happy with what you do, in turn, your family will be happy and support you.

To the OP and anyone who hasn’t…read Chris Shugart’s “I hear dead people” article…it’ll make you think.

I used to love it when I started but 20 years on: now all the management are less educated than I, but they are in power and take mindless, cowardly, vicious pleasure in screwing with us low dogs, even to the point of trying to take pre-retirees pensions with bogus write-ups.

Even as the piece-a-shit petty tyrants the are, they still remain incompetent even at that, with the “I’ve got mine, screw the employees and screw the public, I’m a God” attitude that no one should have in public service!..

I’m not a big bible thumper, but I pray god has mercy on me and opens a door for me to find something I can support myself with, and I’m outta’ there in a N.Y. minute with no lookin’ back, Baby!!! Fuck those little Himmler wanna-be’s and the horses they rode in on!..

It’s not the job, it’s those in charge that make it a pit of stinkin maggots to deal with, and if they are screwin’ with the employees, think what’s in store for the public!!!..

I would like to say I’m in the same boat as many of you, but am working towards my dream. My dream is to own my own business. Not sure what business yet, I’m soul searching. I have 6 kids, a wife, and an ex-wife who takes a lot of my money. I did what many people are not willing to do to get money to buy or fund a business.

I have read numerous books and would be happy to recommend several if anyone is interested.

Hog Lover, if I may, If you want to be a writer then do it now. One book I have read is by Robert Kiyosaki called, “Before You Quit Your Job” and one of the things he suggests is to start your business before you quit your job. Go to high school games and write about the game, interview players, send the stories into the local newspaper.

Write articles for T-Nation and send them to TC. When and if you are rejected ask why and have the humility to learn from it. Ask people for help, a lot of people love to help. In some way actively pursue your future.

bump

I don’t hate what I do, but I am burned out. I work in Iraq, 12 hour days, 7 days a week. My motivation is being sucked from me. I came here to pay off debts or at least make a dent in them. I am not doing too well with that. I want it all now.

I have been here two years and my alternative is going home to find maybe a menial IT job, and looking for two part time jobs as I had before. I have a daughter who just turned 16, so the expense of saving for her college is hanging there. Student loans and IRS debt don’t go away.

I am stuck like chuck here. I invest what I can but you all know how that is right now. Lost a ton (relative) of money that I was up and then some.

Being on this life treadmill is not even good cardio work.

Well let’s see…

I get to drive a large two tone sedan (Ford Crown Victoria Police car); wear a fancy polyester suit (uniform); work odd hours, weekend and holidays (but at least I’m on day shift); required to carry/wear 25# of stuff needed to do my job (yes the duty belt and vest are heavy); in all kinds of weather (it has been over 100 for the last week); deal with people when their lives are not going well; get cussed at and or fight with these same people; have some of these people point weapons at me.

But I also have people come up to me later and thank me for doing my job and helping them/someone they know, to going home and knowing that the person that I put in jail today is not out on the street hurting anyone else or stealing everyone blind,

I could go on and on…but you get the point.

In short, while I might not enjoy dealing with everyone I meet, yes, I do love my job.

Watch your six.
Fred