T Nation

Do You Like Your Pastor?

I gotta say, I’m not much of an Obama supporter. How could I possibly support a guy who voted to increase subsidies for energy companies, to make it harder to file class action lawsuits, to limit employer liability for workplace injuries, to renew the patriot act, all while being the candidate for change??

That being said, he does have my sympathies on the whole Jeremiah Wright thing. Why? Because I have sat through many a sermon where the priest spouted nonsense of the most ridiculous sort. There were times when I just wanted to rudely object or walk out but for civilities sake remained. And I have heard plenty of folks go on about the dumb lecture their priest or pastor gave last weekend. And no one has ever let their attendance or my own cast any statement at all on personal beliefs. Why? Because that would just be silly, and everyone knows that.

How many of you have sat through sermons or homilies where the only thing you could do was let your eyes roll. Where all you could think was – “this guy is a prick” or “the things people say when I didn’t bring my gun.”

Sure. J.R. “Bob” Dobbs is a swell fellow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.R.%22Bob%22_Dobbs

[quote]Gael wrote:
I gotta say, I’m not much of an Obama supporter. How could I possibly support a guy who voted to increase subsidies for energy companies, to make it harder to file class action lawsuits, to limit employer liability for workplace injuries, to renew the patriot act, all while being the candidate for change?

That being said, he does have my sympathies on the whole Jeremiah Wright thing. Why? Because I have sat through many a sermon where the priest spouted nonsense of the most ridiculous sort. There were times when I just wanted to rudely object or walk out but for civilities sake remained. And I have heard plenty of folks go on about the dumb lecture their priest or pastor gave last weekend. And no one has ever let their attendance or my own cast any statement at all on personal beliefs. Why? Because that would just be silly, and everyone knows that.

How many of you have sat through sermons or homilies where the only thing you could do was let your eyes roll. Where all you could think was – “this guy is a prick” or “the things people say when I didn’t bring my gun.”[/quote]

Do you consider your pastor a mentor? Did you write a book and use part of his sermon as the title?

Obviously, no. But there are people that I do consider mentors that hold opinions I strongly disagree with. I can provide many examples of this, and you can use your imagination. My professor considers Endel Tulving a mentor but he strongly disagrees with him on some very central issues, even on an emotional level.

Are you supposed to divorce association with someone because you clash over something? My father and his sister considered my grandfather a mentor, but they clashed with him over the Vietnam war. His sister and my grandfather remained friends, but my dad and my grandfather didn’t speak to each other for 20 years.

By your standard, my dad should have a better shot at becoming a politician than his sister – (among a population of voters who opposed the vietnam war, obviously).

Yep, mine’s a fucking machine.

His name is Rev David Smith, pro boxer, kickboxer and 6th degree black belt, parish priest and father of three.

quoted form the local paper, ‘‘fists of steel, a kick like a mule, the head of a fox and a heart of gold’’

Runs a great gym and his word is rock solid.

Website is www.fatherdave.org,

[quote]Gael wrote:
Obviously, no. But there are people that I do consider mentors that hold opinions I strongly disagree with. .[/quote]

Wonderful point, Gael. This Jeremiah Wright thing is just another way to take cheap shots, instead of having meaningful dialogue.

Following the logic of these cheap rhetorical shots (and don’t get me wrong…both the Democrats and the Republicans are guilty), then I suppose if I said that I considered Rousseau as an intellectual mentor, one would accuse me of being into S&M (I’m not by the way :slight_smile: