Do You Like Italy?

Italy is definitely one of the great travel destinations. The older son went to high school in Lanciano, near Pescara, so we spent a lot of time in Rome, Florence, Sienna, Milan, Naples and lots of small towns in Abbruzzo, Umbria and Tuscany. I haven’t been back since he graduated in 2001, but I’d love to go again.

The people are mostly friendly, especially if you try to speak a little Italian. The small towns and the big cities are full of interesting sights. The food is phenomenal and not too expensive, if you stay away from the tourist traps. I loved driving there - in 2000, we rented a Lancia Kappa in Rome and put quite a few kilometers on it over 4 weeks.

Everyone who loves to travel should make a point of visiting Italy.

My dad is from Casalbordino in Abruzzo and my my mother is from Ortona in the same province. I try to go back every other year. The scenery is fantastic! The entire landscape is dotted with with vineyards and olive trees. The beaches in Casalborino and along Vasto are really nice to.

I did not enjoy Italy. The waitstaff at a number of restaurants were rude, the hotel staff harassed us, and the police held us in the park until we missed our train. We were just sitting on a park bench waiting. Doing nothing. They didn’t search us or anything, just ‘looked’ at our passports for over an hour.

I’ve never had any of those issues anywhere else in Europe.

I’m not saying Italy is a horrible place – only that my experiences were not pleasant.

I don’t know if I want to visit again.

I lived in Genoa for 3 months. Learned a little Italian, forgot most of it since though. I loved every bit of Italy, warmest people I’ve ever met. I didn’t care as much for Florence and Venice but loved the nontourist parts like Genoa where I lived. In Rome the sites were amazing but still preferred Trastevere which is where I stayed while in Rome. Genoa was definitely my favorite though it was a big city that wasn’t at all tourist, population 600,000 with metro around 1.2 million and yet I doubt anyone on here has heard of it aside from Genoa Salami. Had museums, clubs, a university, bars, restaurants, and focaccia. Every morning I’d walk to the local bakery and buy 1 euro worth of focaccia.

Un euro focaccia por favore, graci mi amigo. Ciao ciao arrividerci, ciao!

On a day off while in Rome most of the group stayed in Rome with intent to shop, it ended up raining and they stayed in bed all day. Me and the girl I was with at the time went to Villa Deste and then Villa Adriana, that was spectacular and well worth the day trip.

Just thinking about Genoa I’d love to go back.

One of these days… I so hope. Italy is a dream.

Stefano and Maximus, I am soooo jealous of your memories.

yes, my memories are many since I live in Italy since I am born, except for 2 years in the US
I appreciate how for the most people out here like my country. I love the touristic side of it as I am naturally attracted to what is different, so I Feel really cozy when I go out there in Rome …like a tourist… :smiley:

anyway I let you foreign people the pleasure to keep talking of my country and your esperiences in this post if you like :slight_smile:

My folks were Italian emigrants, so Italy is in my background and I’ve been there quite a few times. No doubt it’s beautiful - especially the history, architecture, and art.

Like any other place, it has its downsides too, of course. Like parking for example - where streets not built for automobiles are jammed with double-parked cars with numerous scooters shoehorned in between LOL