Do You Know the Secret?

I found 7 minutes of the film on Youtube:

I haven’t seen the rest, but from this, I have to say it looks…interesting. Might be a little too deep for my personal tastes, but I’d sit through the rest of it, just for the experience.

To paraphrase (poorly) Cosgrove, or Poliquin, or whoever it was: “Read alot, but don’t only read what you like.” Something like that, I think, would apply to a film concept as “out there” as The Secret.

I placed my order with the Universal Forces long ago. After they laughed like hell at my request, they told me to go fuck myself and floated me a raft of crap. And that’s the secret.

Nate thank you for posting that.

Is anyone else very interested about what Dan John would think about this? Could this be the “letting things come easy” that he talks about in his greatness article?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1179205

[quote]Nate Green wrote:

…or maybe they already know something or are living a certain way or have a different mindset that is enabling them to make change as they see fit.

Spend hours on what? Personal growth and contemplation?

No offense taken, man.

-Nate[/quote]

When it comes to a situation someone is trying to change that they perceive as negative, they only start to change the situation if they have a trigger. Some people are just leeches. They’ll go through everything, they’ll keep asking questions to stall for unending time, they are complete non-starters.

Self help is fine if you are incapable of getting started on your own. Sometimes people need help, I recognize this. Have I watched the video? No. Does that make me an asshole for commenting about it? I don’t think so, because the advertisement and the comments from the people who’ve seen it seem to back up that it’s some life affirmation piece with a few “pro tips” sprinkled, and that it isn’t directly tied to intellectual growth in a particular field.

At the end of the day though, this has been done. This has been done more than once. This will continue to be done, as long as there are people out there who do nothing and “spend hours on personal growth and contemplation.” There is little to no personal growth to be made through contemplation, despite the arguements of 19 year old first year philosophy students to the contrary.

You grow through experience, not through being told what others have experienced and how you should feel about their experiences and directly apply their experience to your lack thereof.

This is more of the same. There are always subtleties to this kind of work, just like there are subtleties to each new diet, even though most of them teach the same basic principles. It’s been done. It’s enough. Go listen to Anthony Robbins. Read a Dale Carnegie book. The only people who this continued work will appeal to are the people who will never change and never use the lessons for ‘personal growth.’

[quote]ScottL wrote:
Nate,

The problem is that even if there is valid information behind the video, the way it is presented is such hype as to leave a bad taste in many people’s mouth.

BTW the only secret I imagine many people would be interested in is the phone number to the woman you interviewed previously :wink:

Edit: if it is about the law of attraction, there are likely free resources on the web where people could learn about it.[/quote]

I found a full clip of her on karupsha.com. You have to pay to get the clip, which I did not, plus I don’t think you’re allowed to distribute it so I’m not gonna post it. If anyone wants a copy, pm me and I’ll try to get it up on putfile or some similar place.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
Nate Green wrote:

…or maybe they already know something or are living a certain way or have a different mindset that is enabling them to make change as they see fit.

Spend hours on what? Personal growth and contemplation?

No offense taken, man.

-Nate

When it comes to a situation someone is trying to change that they perceive as negative, they only start to change the situation if they have a trigger. Some people are just leeches. They’ll go through everything, they’ll keep asking questions to stall for unending time, they are complete non-starters.

Self help is fine if you are incapable of getting started on your own. Sometimes people need help, I recognize this. Have I watched the video? No. Does that make me an asshole for commenting about it? I don’t think so, because the advertisement and the comments from the people who’ve seen it seem to back up that it’s some life affirmation piece with a few “pro tips” sprinkled, and that it isn’t directly tied to intellectual growth in a particular field.

At the end of the day though, this has been done. This has been done more than once. This will continue to be done, as long as there are people out there who do nothing and “spend hours on personal growth and contemplation.” There is little to no personal growth to be made through contemplation, despite the arguements of 19 year old first year philosophy students to the contrary.

You grow through experience, not through being told what others have experienced and how you should feel about their experiences and directly apply their experience to your lack thereof.

This is more of the same. There are always subtleties to this kind of work, just like there are subtleties to each new diet, even though most of them teach the same basic principles. It’s been done. It’s enough. Go listen to Anthony Robbins. Read a Dale Carnegie book. The only people who this continued work will appeal to are the people who will never change and never use the lessons for ‘personal growth.’[/quote]

Why couldn’t this video be the “trigger” a person needs?

Isn’t most stuff on T-Nation “self-help?”

What’s wrong with reading expert advice and applying it to your life? “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is one of my favorite books. It definitely impacted my life in a positive way.

What’s wrong with watching and reading a huge variety of stuff and taking away the important stuff?

Your view is very gloomy and dismal. I think you need to watch this video and learn “The Secret.”

I already know the secret so I’m putting my $4.95 towards my next Alpha Male order.

DB

[quote]bretc wrote:
Why couldn’t this video be the “trigger” a person needs? [/quote]

As I’ve said, the market is flooded with this kind of work. If finding a vague video on a relatively unknown internet site is your trigger, that means you’ve passed by a lot of shit that could have helped you, and I’d worry about that person having bigger problems than being a non-starter.

[quote]What’s wrong with reading expert advice and applying it to your life? “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is one of my favorite books. It definitely impacted my life in a positive way.

What’s wrong with watching and reading a huge variety of stuff and taking away the important stuff?

Your view is very gloomy and dismal. I think you need to watch this video and learn “The Secret.”[/quote]

After watching that little YouTube clip, combined with taking the last 10 minutes to actually comb the website, I highly doubt any of the people are giving ‘expert’ advice. Advice, yes. Expert, not so much.

Nothing is wrong with that. But this is nothing. As with most self help material, there’s only depth to the content if you believe there is depth to the content. If you constantly believe there is depth to the content, then you probably fit nicely into my pre-ordained generalization of people who never make positive change and instead spend countless hours absorbing ‘expert advice’ about positive change.

I think The Secret is masturbating to Dani Woodward while downing a few xanax and drinking a Spike. But then I guess we all interpret things differently.

[quote]Dweezil wrote: a bunch of stuff
[/quote]

I agree with a ton of what you say. This movie was not my ‘trigger point’, but a reminder. I found it entertaining.

It’s all about taking action and learning from experience/trial and error.

Thanks for commenting, man.

-Nate

They break everything down and explain things in terms of physics.
They say that the basic law attraction is that like attracts like… that if you think about what you want all the time you will achieve it.

But in fact when I studied physics many years ago… the basic laws of attraction when talking about magnets is opposite poles attract, and like poles repel, which goes against their theory.

Nate,
very cool post. Someone posted about this in a thread Prof X started a week or so ago. I watched the 7 min clip on youtube. I am EXTREMELY interested in obtaining the DVD here in the near future. Stuff like this I have always had a deep passion for, and Im glad to see Im not the only one.

Nick

basic law of attraction

If there is one thing, one universal law, one belief or religion that Ive found to be true in MY life, it is without a doubt this.

A man who I consider a genius once told me that 90 percent of success is simply showing up. By being around the right things and putting yourself in the right places success often follows.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:

As I’ve said, the market is flooded with this kind of work. [/quote]

So what? The market is also flooded with supplements and training advise, yet you can differentiate from it and come to T-Nation amoungst other places right? Same with this…

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
Dweezil wrote:

As I’ve said, the market is flooded with this kind of work.

So what? The market is also flooded with supplements and training advise, yet you can differentiate from it and come to T-Nation amoungst other places right? Same with this…[/quote]

There’s nothing to differentiate this from anything else. Oversaturation only caters to people who will never actually take the advice to heart, because those people will have moved on from the majority of this work.

With regards to someone you consider a genius telling you that 90% of success is just showing up, quotes with variations of that number have been going around forever. There is only any content in this video if you believe there is content in this video. If you believe it’s nothing but frivolous shit, it’s nothing but frivolous shit. When I hear them talking about physics, and the people in the videos are all “philosophers”, it makes me laugh.

If you get off on this shit, it’s fine, but don’t expect everyone to circlejerk around it when motivational work has been done countless times and done much better than this video.

You just said the market is flooded with stuff like this. Then you say there is nothing to differentiate this from anything else. That in itself is contradictory.

About the quote, it doesn’t matter how many times or who said it first. All that matters is the FIRST time I heard it and who said it.

Either way, to each there own.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
T-Nick wrote:
Dweezil wrote:

There’s nothing to differentiate this from anything else. Oversaturation only caters to people who will never actually take the advice to heart, because those people will have moved on from the majority of this work.

With regards to someone you consider a genius telling you that 90% of success is just showing up, quotes with variations of that number have been going around forever. There is only any content in this video if you believe there is content in this video. If you believe it’s nothing but frivolous shit, it’s nothing but frivolous shit. When I hear them talking about physics, and the people in the videos are all “philosophers”, it makes me laugh.

If you get off on this shit, it’s fine, but don’t expect everyone to circlejerk around it when motivational work has been done countless times and done much better than this video.[/quote]

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
T-Nick wrote:
Dweezil wrote:

If you get off on this shit, it’s fine, but don’t expect everyone to circlejerk around it when motivational work has been done countless times and done much better than this video.[/quote]

I never expected that or said that. Most of what i think and believe goes against not only the grain in mainstream culture but also against what alot of people people on this forum believe as well.

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
You just said the market is flooded with stuff like this. Then you say there is nothing to differentiate this from anything else. That in itself is contradictory.[/quote]

… There’s nothing about that that is contradictory.

Well, if it doesn’t matter who said it first: We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

You can take that how you will, I take it as people who constantly buy-in to motivational poppycock (such an underused word) are likely to spend all their time with motivational poppycock, as opposed to taking the motivation part of it and using it to motivate you to actually do something.

I actually saw it last week and thought it was pretty good. Give it a chance you guys. Keep your mind open and think outside of the box.

Peace

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
A man who I consider a genius once told me that 90 percent of success is simply showing up.[/quote]

And he was plagiarizing Woody Allen, who probably is a genius. Unless the man that you`re speaking of was Woody Allen…

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
…this shit is all too prevalent, and the only people that will view it are non-starters, who will never do anything regardless of an external motivation or people who are vaguely interested by it. No one who will actually make change in their life spends hours and hours on stupid shit like this, because they’re busy making change and they don’t need it.[/quote]

Truth!