Do You Hide It?

Aaaahhhh! I just realized I used the phrase muscle tone. They’ve obviously gotten to my brain. Must. Start. Deprogramming.

There’s a really big learning curve before you can have a meaningful conversation with people.

Sometimes when people ask for tips I’ll give them one simple thing.

Maybe, try to limit the refined carbohydrates that are in your diet. They cause large insulin spikes that cuase you (sedentary lardass) to get fatter.

If they don’t look like a deer in the headlights then maybe I’ll talk about some food choice options. Perhaps oatmeal instead of cocoa puffs. Maybe a diet soda instead of a full sugar soda. Simple little steps… nothing radical all at once.

Odds are they will ignore even the most basic ideas, but if they start to walk the path they can always ask for the next step. I try not to get beyond the next step from where THEY are though, or they are just too lost.

What I found, was that when people see you transform, they will try to find the MAGIC thing you did and copy it. Hey, how did you do it, can I do it too. Here, look, I’m drinking an MRP once a day now!

Yeah, that’s what did it, not hard work… sigh. They are looking for the magic pill that you found and are hiding from them, that is why they are asking you about things sometimes.

So, to close up, I’ll never try to get in depth and evangelize, but if someone is interested I’ll give them the simplest little change in the right direction I can see. If they do that, they’ll get a bit more advice if they ask for it.

I have found that the odd person asking the questions is acutally asking because they are concerned with their own health/weight and want to do something to change it. However I must agree more with everyone else, its more along the lines of trying to justify with them what im eating and why im eating that. And in the second case, I just couldnt be bothered.
See Ya

[quote]chewie wrote:
Everyone asks: why would you want to gain weight. Annoying.
[/quote]

Everyone asks me why on earth I’d want to gain muscle. They tell me I look just fine the way I am. I’ve been accused of being lesbian, being on steriods, and wanting to be a man.

I am sick and tired of defending my lifestyle every time I have a new partner at work. No one can just let it go. I don’t intrude on their choices, why do they have to give their two cents about mine?

I disagree, been at the same job 8+ years and everyone knows what I do. People respect my livestyle and often ask me diet related questions.

I have actually expanded my knowledge into different areas as for example, the guy in the office next to me is a top amateur triathlete guy and we talk training and food often. I have since trained some people for an iron man.

I have set up an FA network, Food Alert network and people drop food of at my desk regularly. I have a microwave on my desk, a fridge underneath it. I have got bowls, shakers, oatmeal, loaves of bread in plain sight. No one frowns upon me for what I do.

I have trained about 4-5 people in my office and started them on programs and nutrition plans. I have gotten clients through my work which means cash in my pocket.

We have a silent auction for the United Way and I auction off my personal training time and will design a program for someone. This year, the President of US Media in my office bid on it and won. I trained him and he has lost over 60lbs already on the program I have him on. People take note of that and I am now real cool with the higher ups in my company. Thats a win for me.

Sure people try to make funny comments at times and I am sure some talk behind my back but fuck em, why should I give a fuck about what they think. They know better than to give me shit to my face.

AA

[quote]perseng wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I honestly try to avoid discussion of it. I have learned that people actually despise anyone who can make progress where they can’t seem to. I hate comments about the protein shakes or what I am eating. This seems to be a big deal to several people here.

I often eat in my office now because of it. I can’t hide it because no one who actually has some size on them can hide that they lift weights. I expect comments when I go out, but at work, it is just annoying.

I agree. At work, I have pretty much isolated myself to the break room at odd times to consume my meals. I avoid it. I am also suspicious about providing any advice to people about what I do.

[/quote]

[quote]vroom wrote:
There’s a really big learning curve before you can have a meaningful conversation with people.

Maybe, try to limit the refined carbohydrates that are in your diet. They cause large insulin spikes that cuase you (sedentary lardass) to get fatter.

If they don’t look like a deer in the headlights then maybe I’ll talk about some food choice options. Perhaps oatmeal instead of cocoa puffs. Maybe a diet soda instead of a full sugar soda. Simple little steps… nothing radical all at once.

Odds are they will ignore even the most basic ideas, but if they start to walk the path they can always ask for the next step. I try not to get beyond the next step from where THEY are though, or they are just too lost.

What I found, was that when people see you transform, they will try to find the MAGIC thing you did and copy it. Hey, how did you do it, can I do it too. Here, look, I’m drinking an MRP once a day now!

Yeah, that’s what did it, not hard work… sigh. They are looking for the magic pill that you found and are hiding from them, that is why they are asking you about things sometimes.

So, to close up, I’ll never try to get in depth and evangelize, but if someone is interested I’ll give them the simplest little change in the right direction I can see. If they do that, they’ll get a bit more advice if they ask for it.[/quote]

What would you say is the one big tip?

Is it keeping carbs in check? Is it drinking the gallon of water? Is it high protein? Is it 5+ serves of veges? Is is exercise? Is it fish oil? Theres so many more…

Too many things for a sedentary person to absorb at once… i just dont know now.

I discovered it for myself, by myself, pretty much… I just dont know what to say any more.

It is an unfortunate world we live in, and hopefully we can at least change it for ourselves more.

That is a good point. When I do eat a slice of pizza or some b-day cake, I do get comments. But if you respond the right way, that will seize quickly. But its annoying I agree.

One person that started a while back with my company made juice related jokes and I dont need that at work. I put an end to that real quick by taking the person aside.

Let him train with you a few times and tell him what to eat for a few days. If he is serious and sticks to it, write the program for him. If not, dont waste your time, I have made that mistake in the past, not at work but with friends.

A

[quote]perseng wrote:
I find, although the majority of the time i eat the ‘right things’ and people know it… sometimes I am human and will eat what the rest of them eat (also because i think a bit of junk is actually good for you like many here will agree). This also sparks comments… I just get angry sometimes and want to lash out.

It has taken me about 8 months in my current job for some of the closest workmates the actually start truly respecting what I do.

I was recently asked by a workmate to write an exercise/diet program for him as well as impart general knowledge onto him. I am concerned tho at this point he isnt just going to go and start reading T-Nation and other stuff a lot. I was going to write a program (with customisations for our shift work), in the hope it will get him started and then he can truly start reading and thinking more for himself in this area. I am no expert by any means, but i feel i am perhaps better equipped than some other options he might fall towards instead.[/quote]

[quote]Amsterdam Animal wrote:
I disagree, been at the same job 8+ years and everyone knows what I do. People respect my livestyle and often ask me diet related questions.

I have actually expanded my knowledge into different areas as for example, the guy in the office next to me is a top amateur triathlete guy and we talk training and food often. I have since trained some people for an iron man.

I have set up an FA network, Food Alert network and people drop food of at my desk regularly. I have a microwave on my desk, a fridge underneath it. I have got bowls, shakers, oatmeal, loaves of bread in plain sight. No one frowns upon me for what I do.

I have trained about 4-5 people in my office and started them on programs and nutrition plans. I have gotten clients through my work which means cash in my pocket.

We have a silent auction for the United Way and I auction off my personal training time and will design a program for someone. This year, the President of US Media in my office bid on it and won. I trained him and he has lost over 60lbs already on the program I have him on. People take note of that and I am now real cool with the higher ups in my company. Thats a win for me.

Sure people try to make funny comments at times and I am sure some talk behind my back but fuck em, why should I give a fuck about what they think. They know better than to give me shit to my face.

AA

[/quote]

I am sure this depends on WHERE you work. Being at your same job around the same people for 8 years may also have something to do with it as you’ve grown in front of them. It was a gradual process.

Awesome.

I bring my food to meetings and if they dont like it I will tell them not to schedule meeting during this time. See, I have been there for a long time and am the SME. There is really nothing they can say. I have been known to eat some sweet potato and chicken in a 10am meeting. Yeah they kinda laugh but they respect the dedication .

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Alex630 wrote:
perseng wrote:
I was recently asked by a workmate to write an exercise/diet program for him as well as impart general knowledge onto him. I am concerned tho at this point he isnt just going to go and start reading T-Nation and other stuff a lot. I was going to write a program (with customisations for our shift work), in the hope it will get him started and then he can truly start reading and thinking more for himself in this area. I am no expert by any means, but i feel i am perhaps better equipped than some other options he might fall towards instead.

I’ve tried this before, and it has been a waste of time 100%. They’ll quit within a month. Nowadays, when somebody asks me for a workout plan or diet, I them to go to a gym 3x a week and just dick around or do the circuit. This gets them used to the routine. Also, I tell them to write their diet down, and maybe give them one or two simple rules, like drink a gallon of water per day. I get them to do this for a month before coming back to me (which they never do). Gauging their level of dedication in this manner will save you a lot of time and effort.

I’ve tried that before as well, only to have the guy tell me that “T-Nation is too technical…”

Nowadays I do what Alex does. Tell them to mess with some weights, look for their own program, log their food intake and leave it at that. I do that for everyone except my brother, but fuck it, he’s my brother for pete’s sake.

I had a student a couple months ago who was also training to be on the Navy Boxing team. He was in really good shape, had a small pharmacy and piles of tupperware on his desk, and was teased by the rest of the students to the point where I’d see him sneaking around to warm up his food or make a shake. One day during a lab exam where students were being timed 5 minutes a station before moving on, he threw his hand in the air.

I walked over and said “what’s up?”

He said, “Mr. TGIF I need to leave the lab for a minute”

I said “Is it an emergency? You really can’t, you’re going to mess up the rotation, you should have went to the bathroom beforehand…”

He said “I don’t have to go to the bathroom, it’s 10:00 and I have to eat.”

Knowing the battle he was having as it was, I let him go do his thing and catch up when he got back. I caught a little shit from my supervisor for letting him go, but I covered for him.

[/quote]

Sic, I know what you are saying but fuck these people, this is our iron game, who are these mere mortal fucks that come in and make us hide behind the bleachers?

I am proud of my lifestyle and anyone who wants to give me shit about it can fuck off. If I sound a little pissed, its b/c I am. We have nothing to apologize or feel sorry for or be understanding of, this is what we do, we are dedicated to this iron game and should be proud to proclaim that.

Take a look at the “brotherhood of iron” thread, there are enough of us out there. Its time to start taking back our gyms and stop hiding what we do and who we are.

A

[quote]sic wrote:
chewie wrote:

Everyone asks me why on earth I’d want to gain muscle. They tell me I look just fine the way I am. I’ve been accused of being lesbian, being on steriods, and wanting to be a man.

I am sick and tired of defending my lifestyle every time I have a new partner at work. No one can just let it go. I don’t intrude on their choices, why do they have to give their two cents about mine?[/quote]

That is a good point. When I do eat a slice of pizza or some b-day cake, I do get comments. But if you respond the right way, that will seize quickly. But its annoying I agree.

One person that started a while back with my company made juice related jokes and I dont need that at work. I put an end to that real quick by taking the person aside.

Let him train with you a few times and tell him what to eat for a few days. If he is serious and sticks to it, write the program for him. If not, dont waste your time, I have made that mistake in the past, not at work but with friends.

A
[/quote]

Again, this shows it depends on where you work. Take a person aside in the wrong environment and you could find yourself dealing with much more shit than you intended.

Agreed, good point. People have seen me transform over the years so there is little to argue about my methods.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:

AA

I am sure this depends on WHERE you work. Being at your same job around the same people for 8 years may also have something to do with it as you’ve grown in front of them. It was a gradual process. [/quote]

My initial “big” tip.

Diet does not mean starvation, it means controlled eating. You will be suprised how many people dont understand that.

[quote]perseng wrote:
vroom wrote:

So, to close up, I’ll never try to get in depth and evangelize, but if someone is interested I’ll give them the simplest little change in the right direction I can see. If they do that, they’ll get a bit more advice if they ask for it.

Is it keeping carbs in check? Is it drinking the gallon of water? Is it high protein? Is it 5+ serves of veges? Is is exercise? Is it fish oil? Theres so many more…

Too many things for a sedentary person to absorb at once… i just dont know now.

I discovered it for myself, by myself, pretty much… I just dont know what to say any more.

It is an unfortunate world we live in, and hopefully we can at least change it for ourselves more.

[/quote]

I keep to myself when it comes to “between meals” snacking (cottage cheese, protein shakes, et al). People around here just don’t understand and it’s easier to keep it quiet. Not that I’m ashamed or that I try to hide it, I am just discrete.

DB

[quote]chewie wrote:

Damn fad diets and people telling me how to eat pisses me off. [/quote]

I have set a goal to hit 250lbs @10% BF, or less.

I made the mistake of telling some friends my goal.

They think it is utter stupidity for a 41 year old man to deal in such folly.

I don;t talk to them about it any more - they are too busy taking a cabinet full of prescription drugs, and wonderign why they are so flabby.

Maybe Prof. I know you are a doc right? So you see patients all day. If someone was making jokes, seemingly harmless to them, about you juicing, is that something you would let go? I think you would address that. Is my work place really that much different from most people out there?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Amsterdam Animal wrote:

A

Again, this shows it depends on where you work. Take a person aside in the wrong environment and you could find yourself dealing with much more shit than you intended.[/quote]

Do I hide it? No.
Do I discuss it at work? No. How can you have an intelligent conversation with someone about lifting and a healthy lifestyle,when they are a 300 lb. plus porker, stuffing their face with McDonalds crap?
On the other hand, the guys in the shop don’t give me any crap, since I am stronger than most of them.

Sic, I know what you are saying but fuck these people, this is our iron game, who are these mere mortal fucks that come in and make us hide behind the bleachers?

I am proud of my lifestyle and anyone who wants to give me shit about it can fuck off. If I sound a little pissed, its b/c I am. We have nothing to apologize or feel sorry for or be understanding of, this is what we do, we are dedicated to this iron game and should be proud to proclaim that.

Take a look at the “brotherhood of iron” thread, there are enough of us out there. Its time to start taking back our gyms and stop hiding what we do and who we are.

A[/quote]

I’m proud of my lifestyle as well and how I dress and act when out of work is much different than I dress and act while at work. People in general (especially older people) are closed minded. I personally don’t feel like defending my actions or my thoughts at every turn. I think that is what makes the difference between a “profession” or a “career” and a “job”.

Maybe Prof. I know you are a doc right? So you see patients all day. If someone was making jokes, seemingly harmless to them, about you juicing, is that something you would let go? I think you would address that. Is my work place really that much different from most people out there?
[/quote]

People do make jokes. Because of that, I have to realize that me going off on them or even taking those comments seriously as far as action would simply FEED the very thing I am rebelling against. That is how I am sure it works in the business world as well. You can’t act on impulse if your goal is a “career”.

[quote]perseng wrote:
[/quote]

In my view it’s the refined carbs and related calorie bombs…

Donuts, chips, cakes, cookies, sodas, breakfast cereals, chocolate bars, crackers, ice cream, french fries, milk shakes, and on and on and on.

People know it’s not good for them, but they do it all day every day anyway. It’s not too hard to see if they have the discipline to do what they know is right anyway. If they do, they will be forced to substitute real foods…

Also, not drinking gallons of water a day doesn’t hold a candle to the potential damage this type of shit does to a sedentary person.