Do You Have Bad Lifting Days?

Just wondering, cause i have!

For example, you can benchpress with easy 300 pounds 3-4x reps then you wake in next week that you cant even benchpress 250 with 1 rep!

Hah, today was a funny day ,i actually sleeped the most ,my best sleeping day 10 hours instead 7, yet i had the worst day at bench pressing ,like being around 30% weaker ,how can that happening? i admit ,yesterday i had a heavy squatting day and i gived my best ,but that should not be a problem for the next day lol!

I do all my lifting in the morning. As in the gym at 0500 because not a whole lot of people are going to be bitching about deadlifting and other powerlifting quirks at that time. However, some of my crappier workouts have come on days I sleep in. Go figure.

I don’t drink often but I have actually had one of my best benching days with a brutal hangover.

Any day lifting should at least be somewhat productive though even if you have to grind through it.

It happens, I’m a joke in the gym if I don’t have all my meals/snacks throughout the day

I find that the more experienced I get, the fewer “good” or “bad” days I have. Going from bench pressing 300 for four reps to struggling with 250 would, for me, be extremely disconcerting, and would suggest that something’s wrong.

[quote]KyleKeough wrote:
I find that the more experienced I get, the fewer “good” or “bad” days I have. Going from bench pressing 300 for four reps to struggling with 250 would, for me, be extremely disconcerting, and would suggest that something’s wrong.[/quote]
^this

Exactly, I have days where I don’t feel it and can’t hit my goals but I don’t have days where I miss my 3-4 rep max by 50 pounds on a single. That is injury or 4 week fasting or something else crazy.

Well, I’m a beginner, but I’ve managed one bad day. My main focus is losing weight, as I’m still at least 50 pounds too heavy (228 at 5’9). I was expecting to stall pretty fast because of this, but I didn’t…that is until I worked out on 3 hours of sleep after only eating about 1000 calories the day before.

I’ve got past that temporary set back though, linear gains have returned.

[quote]americaninsweden wrote:
Exactly, I have days where I don’t feel it and can’t hit my goals but I don’t have days where I miss my 3-4 rep max by 50 pounds on a single. That is injury or 4 week fasting or something else crazy.[/quote]
or a change in spotters

No one bats a thousand. More often than not I go in and obliterate my goals for the day. Of course, three months in to training, every session was amazing. It’s now becoming more of a grind. If I pull something, don’t rest enough, don’t eat enough then of course it’s a bitch and a half.

Right now my usually tank-like immune system has been felled by the cold virus equivalent of a tank busting missile. Yesterday was military press day and I managed to set a new rep PR. Today, however, was a different story. It was death metal and deadlift day. Our max for the day was 315lbs; a max I had moved for ten reps the previous few cycles. Today it took all of my focus and energy to grind out five.

It fucks with my head and bruises my ego, but hey, these things happen.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]KyleKeough wrote:
I find that the more experienced I get, the fewer “good” or “bad” days I have. Going from bench pressing 300 for four reps to struggling with 250 would, for me, be extremely disconcerting, and would suggest that something’s wrong.[/quote]
^this[/quote]
^high five.

I’ve also noticed that I have had much fewer bad days since I’ve been making sure to eat most of my food from home, which includes plenty of (wild) salmon and vegetables lately, on top of a high protein intake.

This happened a lot to me when I did 5/3/1, but doesn’t effect me nearly as much when I do westside style training. I have no idea why.

I had a horrible lifting day last wednesday. I felt a little weaker, but not really off. No tightness or pain when benching. 315 for 5, 285x8, 285x, well almost 6. I managed a grade I pec tear and superior labral tear just before lockout. The shoulder doesnt hurt, and no tendons were damaged, but I think my days of heavy benching are over. Listen to your body, if you drop off that much you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your rest time.

I’ve never had a day as bad as the one described in the opening post, but I used to occasionally have “off days” where I’d maybe miss a rep on a heavy double. I only do high-volume/Russian-style stuff now; staying consistent and performing every rep identically for a couple of years has pretty much eliminated those highs and lows.