Do You Have an Eating Disorder?

[quote]traineee wrote:
I feel for you six20two. I think you should do what Chris Shugart recommend when on the V-Diet. Take NEPA walks during dinner time to let your mind relax, and re-focus on your goals. Once you had a good walk and break into sweat, you’re all good with food. You are less likely to binge then. Try it and see whether it works![/quote]

The NEPA walk helps a lot. Also just the thought of the one regular meal every week helps to keep you focused. I already see that I am not craving crap foods… I want clean foods and I believe that is because you start to look at food as a fuel and not a craving.

The retraining and going back into eating regular should help a lot. I know that in 2 more weeks I will be totally surrendered to eating right. Hell I don’t want to put fat back on after I busted my ass to get it off. Just does not make sense to go back to that life, just for taste…

It seems like some of you guys may not be eating enough. When I get a craving I just say to myself how bad do you want a huge muscular and ripped body? Just eat as much berries and protein and green veggies as you want. It’s very hard to damage your physique that way.

Too much of anything can be a bad thing, too. Seriously.

Well yeah but for example last night I had:

10-12 oz chicken breasts 3-400 cals
5-6 cups spinach 2-300 cals
1 zucchini 50 cals
1 squash 50 cals
1 apple 100 cals
1/2 c raspberries 30 cals
1/2 c blackberries 40 cals

I mean…that’s probably 2 days of the rdi of fiber. I was stuffed yet this morning I woke up and felt leaner. I did want some more food, but I just worked so hard on the vdiet that it’s not really worth it to go crazy on a jar of almond butter or ezekiel bread. I will be able to add other foods in time.

Yes, I agree with what you said. But what is affecting some of us here is giving in to the foods we CRAVE(ie PB in my case), and screwing things up. Get it? Sometimes the jar of PB or loaf of bread just looks much more tempting than green veggies and more berries.

Dude I’ve been there. Trust me. I was saying that because a trick I use is just to eat unlimited green veggies to get so full. It helps with cravings too. Trust me I’m guilty of going crazy on pb and ezekiel. And I know that even after you’re full on the healthy stuff you could still eat an assload of crap. It’s weird but it has to do with feeling deprived and not satisfied. You may feel full but you’re still wanting some kind psychological satisfaction you get from pb or whatever food gives you that feeling. Also you may be lacking in another aspect of your life and that’s why you feel the need to do that.

I think you are right about feeling deprived, cause of the limitations that I set to achieve my targets. Now that I’ve implemented it in my diet, I feel much better about it and have more control over it.

[quote]six30two wrote:
I know what you guys mean. I too have the same issue, it’s like I’m a completely different person when I’m hungry and I’m around food. All week, I’ll stay the course and eat clean, but then I’ll let myself get hungry and all bets are off. I don’t even recognize the binger. He’s evil and all he wants to do is eat. He takes over my mind until everything in sight has been eaten and is gone, then he leaves and I’m left with the guilt. I know I must sound like a headcase here, but that is how it feels sometimes. By the way, for me, this almost exclusively happens at night.[/quote]

it took me a bit to get the guts to post on this one, but thats me in a nutshell. i came to terms with the fact that i have/had one about 4 months ago. and if im hungry and havent planned what im going to eat and cant get something healty ill nearly have a nervous breakdown, and sometimes it leads to massive junk binging…even after a year and a half of eating “clean”. once i start on junk or sweets (sweets being my biggest enemy) i have a hard time stopping. its rediculous.

id love to share my storys about it via pms if somoene needs to talk about it, as i feel i could use someone to talk about this with also. anyway, having said that, anyone that thinks men cant have disorders, nuts to you.

[quote]traineee wrote:
I think you are right about feeling deprived, cause of the limitations that I set to achieve my targets. Now that I’ve implemented it in my diet, I feel much better about it and have more control over it. [/quote]

YEAH sometimes its hard to come to grips with the fact that when they provide donuts, i cant have one, at least not at this point. maybe one day i can have one donut, be satisfied and go on with my day, and not think about the other 8 donuts in the box. Im just not there yet. or sit down iwht one small scoop of ice cream when my wife and i go on a date, instead of the 3 scoop banana split. becuase i feel deprived if i dont get it “all”. or go to a buffet and eat to “get my moneys worth”
ugh

[quote]johnward82 wrote:
traineee wrote:
I think you are right about feeling deprived, cause of the limitations that I set to achieve my targets. Now that I’ve implemented it in my diet, I feel much better about it and have more control over it.

YEAH sometimes its hard to come to grips with the fact that when they provide donuts, i cant have one, at least not at this point. maybe one day i can have one donut, be satisfied and go on with my day, and not think about the other 8 donuts in the box. Im just not there yet. or sit down iwht one small scoop of ice cream when my wife and i go on a date, instead of the 3 scoop banana split. becuase i feel deprived if i dont get it “all”. or go to a buffet and eat to “get my moneys worth”
ugh

[/quote]

God damn! That’s me!

I can’t have a bowl of ice cream. I have to eat half of the half gallon of blue bell. I have to get the double dipped cone and it’s gone before my girlfriend is halfway done with her single dip.

I eat a lot, and I eat it faster than anyone I know. Even delicious shit you’re supposed to enjoy. I wolf it down and look around for more. I’m way too extreme. It’s either tediously managing my intake or fast food twice a day and ending with a shitload of ice cream before I go to bed.

can’t have one beer either. I want that buzz.

I believe I have an addictive personality to be honest. I get addicted to nicotine and alcohol quickly. All or nothing. Have a few OCD habits with hand washing and door locks too. Also can’t walk past a water fountain without drinking some water from it.

Maybe I’m fucked in the head, maybe something else. But I got problems no doubt…

I have similar problem with buffets too, just cause I don’t have it often, and I wanna eat my money’s worth of share whenever I go buffet. I think we must change that thinking as of now. Portion control!

its just a mind thing, and a matter of doing it. i know better, but it tastes so damn good!
and you know whats worse, i can live without sweets. i can go a month no sweets whatsoever. i can even loose the desire/cravings. actually did this one time. then I wound up at a buffet and told myself that I would going to do perfect, it was my test. My wife did amazing at the buffet. My first round , haha, i got decent foods and one thing that wasnt all that “healthy” and made sure i didnt finish everything on my plate. i like to sample everything. so i got more and did the same and tried just alittle more fried stuff, and didnt finish it all. good so far. my actual volume of food was nearing, after one more round, my max and i should stop eating. got one more, more unhealthy but not horrible, and then i wandared over ot the desert section, and it was all over. oen of the best buffet desert sections i have seen in a long time. and then i proceded to eat myself stupid

SAD TO SAY, it happened to me today too. I had my weekly cheat meal, which consist of cajun chicken and some coleslaw and fries. Portion was just nice. But when I left the restaurant, gosh, I simply couldn’t resist my temptations and got a brownie, chocolate croissant, mcflurry, and another 4oz black pepper chicken.

What’s worse, I decided to eat out for dinner(unplanned cheat) cause I had some delay in my schedule, and I had 3 double cheese burgers. (I ate 1.5 whole buns though, and the patties of course.) So there goes my 5 days of good dieting with one whole day of “WONDERFUL” cheat.

I know it’s embarrassing to just give out like this, while I had so strongly preached about being disciplined few days ago. I’m utterly ashamed of myself.

I followed V-Diet to a T while I was on it, but on a regular solid food diet, I simply couldn’t reproduce the self-discipline. I don’t know why. Maybe that’s the beauty in it. Anybody out there who had encountered such experiences while cutting, please please PLEASE, give me some sound advice, or even lecture if need be. I simply can’t overcome the devilish, gluttony side of me. I know it’s a mental game, but somehow it’s kind of like a habit that I’ll crave these harmful foods on every weekends. I need to break the cycle.

well i can tell you what i know i need to do for me. all my meals always need to be planned out and structured. cheat meals follow the same thing. i need to know what im getting and get it get out and be done. the V-Diet is a breeze for me, becuase i rely on routine so much its a no brainer. when my wife was on it, and i had to cook for myself, on sunday i grilled up 10 chicken breasts and pounds of veggies so i KNEW what i was eating the whole time.

If i were to cook and have unplanned leftovers, i would be screwed i would eat them. Its nice when my wife cooks, she gives me the right portions, macros and cals, and thats what i eat. we work very clossely together because i think we share eating habbits, although she would rather have a enchiladas and i would rather have cake.
One thing that helps me also day to day,

I have to, no choice count my calories. my week before the V-Diet i upped my cals to maint. level to try and reset my metabolism before i went on the crazy diet. i stopped counting my calories and just ate good, had some healthier cheat meal options (such as real mexican food, not that tex mex crap) had a dessert one day, and so on. but that weekend came and it was horrible. so I also know that I can only go about a week wihtout really watching what im eating before I go bonkers.

I tried wearing a thick orange rubber band for a while to remind me to stop eating, it kinda worked but my sweet tooth over came that. Its just something we have to work towards, and when you fuck up, come back home, realize what you did and dont beat yourself up about it. I sit back, analize what happend, try and figure out why i did what i did and just pray that i dont make that mistake again. When i do make that mistake again, I go home, and do the same thing, and hopefully my mistakes get smaller. I know they will still happen, but maybe I can weed them out.

FOr example, my HSM will be tomorrow, sunday. I have been craving good steak for months now, and have been having that on the weekends. WEll I was trying to figure out wehre I was going to get a good steak, but coupled with good veggies. THere is a really nice steak resturant here with an incredible salad bar. Its a fancy salad bar with giant blocks of amazing cheese that you grate off yourself and things like that. (I have an expensive taste when it comes to food) So I am going to get a giant salad because i miss my veggies, and a killer steak.

Now I am worried that this is a “buffet style” salad bar. I hope I can pass by any undesierables on this salad bar, not load up on all the bad ass cheeses, and they have incredible bread, so I hope i can just have one piece of bread. Do I think i can get away with one peice of bread? I dont know, I honestly dont. So we will see.

[quote]traineee wrote:
But when I left the restaurant, gosh, I simply couldn’t resist my temptations and…

I know it’s embarrassing to just give out like this…

I followed V-Diet to a T while I was on it, but on a regular solid food diet, I simply couldn’t reproduce the self-discipline.

Please please PLEASE, give me some sound advice, or even lecture if need be. I simply can’t overcome the devilish, gluttony side of me.[/quote]

This is a lecture.

Look at your attitude. You’ve convinced yourself you can’t change, that you don’t have control over yourself, that you “can’t” overcome these bad habits that are ruining your dieting. If you believe you will fail, you will. So cut it out. You can and WILL be stronger than this, your problem is that you don’t believe you can. Stop taking the easy way out and telling yourself it isn’t your fault, because it is. Take responsibility for your actions, beat yourself up over it.

Look at your food like this; every good meal brings you closer to your goals, a lean, strong, healthy body. Conversely, every cheat meal takes you farther away from those very goals. Think about how much time, effort and money you’ve put into your diet, and how much blood and sweat you’ve invested in the gym. Think about it every time you want to cheat. Is it worth it? What’s really more important here, dieting down, or eating some food that will taste good for a couple seconds?

I dare you to not binge for the next 6 months. I’ll hold you accountable if you want, via pm, or come and post in the brotherhood of iron thread in the bodybuilding forum, and you’ll have 7 or 8 of us that will hold you to your goals.

-hungry

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
traineee wrote:
But when I left the restaurant, gosh, I simply couldn’t resist my temptations and…

I followed V-Diet to a T while I was on it, but on a regular solid food diet, I simply couldn’t reproduce the self-discipline.

Please please PLEASE, give me some sound advice, or even lecture if need be. I simply can’t overcome the devilish, gluttony side of me.

This is a lecture.

Look at your attitude. You’ve convinced yourself you can’t change, that you don’t have control over yourself, that you “can’t” overcome these bad habits that are ruining your dieting. If you believe you will fail, you will. So cut it out.

You can and WILL be stronger than this, your problem is that you don’t believe you can. Stop taking the easy way out and telling yourself it isn’t your fault, because it is. Take responsibility for your actions, beat yourself up over it.

Look at your food like this; every good meal brings you closer to your goals, a lean, strong, healthy body. Conversely, every cheat meal takes you farther away from those very goals. Think about how much time, effort and money you’ve put into your diet, and how much blood and sweat you’ve invested in the gym.

Think about it every time you want to cheat. Is it worth it? What’s really more important here, dieting down, or eating some food that will taste good for a couple seconds?

I dare you to not binge for the next 6 months. I’ll hold you accountable if you want, via pm, or come and post in the brotherhood of iron thread in the bodybuilding forum, and you’ll have 7 or 8 of us that will hold you to your goals.

-hungry[/quote]

That sounds like a good plan. I need somebody to be accountable to, so I will not lose track. I think this is a good idea. I’ll do just that in the training log section as of tomorrow.

Hunger4more wrote:

This is a lecture.

Look at your attitude. You’ve convinced yourself you can’t change, that you don’t have control over yourself, that you “can’t” overcome these bad habits that are ruining your dieting. If you believe you will fail, you will. So cut it out. You can and WILL be stronger than this, your problem is that you don’t believe you can. Stop taking the easy way out and telling yourself it isn’t your fault, because it is. Take responsibility for your actions, beat yourself up over it.

Look at your food like this; every good meal brings you closer to your goals, a lean, strong, healthy body. Conversely, every cheat meal takes you farther away from those very goals. Think about how much time, effort and money you’ve put into your diet, and how much blood and sweat you’ve invested in the gym. Think about it every time you want to cheat. Is it worth it? What’s really more important here, dieting down, or eating some food that will taste good for a couple seconds?

-hungry

Nice post hungry… Personally i’ve learned that it comes down to how big your desire is, ie.how fucking much you wanna be in great shape. If you have the most amazing desire inside you, and you say to yourself ‘you wanna cheat meal’ all you get is a big NO!!! You can create huge desire by thinking more and more about what your training and eating well for. Desire is number 1. A good example of desire = people at the top. Tiger Woods, Jay Cutler, insane desire, insane results

Also, i think you need things to say to yourself. Lots of people have there things that they say, as already posted by some. For me … Its 'Im the creator of my experiences. I create what i do (taking responsibility) . Im not going to choose to create me eating fuckin shit. Im the creator of big fuckin muscles and a ripped physique. I create this with training and eating a clean high protein diet… I create all this, Its easy. If you think its hard, so what then, its hard, you still gotta do it, so make it easier on yourself… Its easy.

Trainee, i dont mean this personally, put to everyone, harden the fuck up, be straight, do what you need to do. Think with the intensity you deadlift… Think hard, be hard.

Yeah. I totally understand the “if you want it that badly, you’ll do it anyhow” mentality. That’s what got me through V-Diet anyway. I was extremely unhappy with what I looked like, I grit my teeth and toughened out the V-Diet, but I guess I was satisfied with what I have and did not want to go further with AS MUCH desire as before. Now I must re-focus, and just do it. It doesn’t matter whether it’s hard or easy, what matters is to do it.

[quote]traineee wrote:
I’m talking about REALLY large meals, like a around 5k to 12k calories in just ONE sitting.

I mean, although it doesn’t affect me as much since it’s only ONCE per week…[/quote]

Just curious, were you still losing weight while doing this? I would think a single 12k meal per week would put you at maybe 9k above maintenance for that day, which means during the other six days you’d need to be 1.5k below maintenance or more, just to stay even. Another .5k or so a day to lose even a pound a week, which puts you at 1000 calories a day to lose that pound. So yes, a single huge cheat meal per week does affect you, and can completely prevent any progress.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
traineee wrote:

Please please PLEASE, give me some sound advice, or even lecture if need be. I simply can’t overcome the devilish, gluttony side of me.

This is a lecture.

-hungry[/quote]

I want to do as you say and post in the brother hood of iron threat. Binge eating destroyed my physique.