T Nation

Do You Have an Eating Disorder?

Seriously guys, do any of you think you kinda have eating disorder(ie. binge eating, anoerexic, bulimic, eating EXCESSIVELY LARGE amounts in one sitting, etc) in some form or another? I’m currently cutting, and whenever I have my cheat meal, which is once per week, I have the tendency to eat a super large meal.

I’m talking about REALLY large meals, like a around 5k to 12k calories in just ONE sitting. It could be in form of both clean and junk foods.(I have a “thing” for natural PB, and I had a whole jar in one sitting before. Get what I mean by LARGE now?) I mean, although it doesn’t affect me as much since it’s only ONCE per week, but in the long run, I don’t think this is going to do me any good. I’m working on portion control, but it is really hard, cause cravings is sky high after a week of tough dieting. I tend to just screw it up.

Anybody has these problems? Please share and give me some advice. Thanks.

I’ve been there and know what its like. Its not the nicest thing in the world.

Think of a spring!!! If you hold the spring down as far it can go, the second you let go of the spring it springs out very powerfully… Its can be the same with diet with some people. ie. You diet hard for a week (spring pushed down) however when you cheat your letting go of the spring and its going all out, ie. you eating alot of food.

Next time you cheat, go into that cheat meal with the mentality of a warrior who is practicing discipline. So not only are you having a nice little cheat meal, but your also growing in your strength of exercising discipline… Plan out what you want your cheat meal to be, and once you’ve eaten what you said you wanted, bring in the warrior discipline to back the fuck away. Think about the next meal your going eating thats benefitting your physique, and think about your goals in the gym. Those super high kcals dont help so cut them out.

Try it tonight even. Eat a cheat meal with that mentality. Be a warrior. Once you’ve eaten what you said you wanted. Use discipline, everyone has discipline, one just has to use it.

Personally, im not eating junk. im so focused on training and eating well that the thought of eating junk is fucking stupid, im looking great, i dont want junk, fuck that!!!

Yeah. That’s what I’m using to restrain myself from eating more. I’m looking great, I don’t want junk cause it only makes me fat, AGAIN! I never wanna be fat again. Thanks for the insightful input.

Well, that again brings me to another problem. Sometimes, I do not preach what I say. I talk about discipline, self-control, etc, but when I see the delicious PB in front of me, THAT’S IT. I just chow it down like nobody’s business. BAM. There goes my week of strict dieting. I thought I conquered this problem after the V-diet, but apparently I realised I don’t work well with choices. It’s getting better, but what I see is that it can get WAY better. Anyone been through this before?

Honestly, I think a lot of people encounter eating disorder, in form of emotional eating, binge eating, whatsoever. I hope you guys share your experience and let’s show support to fellow T-men and T-vixens who face these problems.

If that’s you in your avatar…keep eating junk!

I wish I had that physique, too! I’m working hard on that though! LOL.

I had a dietican tell me I was bulimic. This was just over a year ago. I was eating very strickly, trying to lean out. After three months of dieting I reached 8% bf. Then on the weekends I would easily consume over 12K cals a day. I guess I was letting go and enjoying foods I was missing. The following mondays I would eat strict again and do an enormous amount of cardio (upwards near 3-4 hours) and weight lifting (this was my purging). I did this, uncontrollably for about 3 months. I eventually just fell out of this pattern and seem to not have a problem eating strictly or being guilt free when I don’t.

If I’m nervous and there is some sort of hand snacking food beside me, I will eat an insane amount of food. If it’s in the kitchen I won’t. It’s not desirable, but I wouldn’t call it a disorder.

[quote]elusive wrote:
I had a dietican tell me I was bulimic. This was just over a year ago. I was eating very strickly, trying to lean out. After three months of dieting I reached 8% bf. Then on the weekends I would easily consume over 12K cals a day. I guess I was letting go and enjoying foods I was missing. The following mondays I would eat strict again and do an enormous amount of cardio (upwards near 3-4 hours) and weight lifting (this was my purging). I did this, uncontrollably for about 3 months. I eventually just fell out of this pattern and seem to not have a problem eating strictly or being guilt free when I don’t. [/quote]

Yeah, but you got lean, didnt you?

After getting lean, I started my weekend binges. I went all the way up to 17% bf before I stopped.

Oh, nevermind. I thought you got lean while doing the weekend binges and made up for it by walking for 5-6 hours or whatever you did.

I was going to ask what the problem was. In that situation you got to eat yummy food, got lean, and killed some time. But I guess none of my points really stand.

yes, I have an eating disorder, or more specifically a food bill disorder.

Seriously though, eating disorders are serious mental conditions that can cripple someone, I doubt anyone in this thread has an eating disorder.

I think the fact that one can’t control his diet(ie. losing control over whether he want to continue eating even when he is very full) shows that he is kinda “crippled”, ain’t it?

If one has absolute control over his diet, fine. But in my case for instance, once I start, I can’t really stop. It’s a mental thing. Even if it ain’t hurting me right now(in terms of body transformation), when I start gaining mass, it WILL be a big problem. So what I perceive here is that we should tackle it before it explodes.

It’s kinda like a heart disease prevention or something like that. Prevention is better than cure. That’s the reason why I feel we should show support to each other, even though some of our problem is not as severe.

Take elusive for example. Losing control over his diet and wasted his efforts by going back up to 17%? Man, that’ll be so disappointing, cause you lost something you worked so hard for to something both physically and mentally unhealthy.

I agree. My mindset was mentally unhealthy and the weight I put on wasn’t healthy either. Luckily I’ve managed to stop that cycle and I’m doing A OK now.

Well, I guess it’s all about being brave enough to face the problem, and tell yourself you WILL do it. I had this encounter today, whereby there were the regular afternoon snacks session during work.

I was without food for around 4.5 hrs due to meeting and briefings, and I was extremely hungry. Now, these pastries look mighty friendly when one is hungry. But I told myself, I WILL NOT EAT IT, and fortunately, I made it! Soon after, I got back to my desk and had my grilled chicken breasts. Boy was that delicious! I hope I can build on this and keep going strong!

Anyway, here is one PM by paul496.

"Hey man.

Do you know the power of your subconscious mind?
Every thing you are is because of the communication you do with your subconscious.
The words you use and the tone in which you speak to yourself. In the morning when you wake up and before bed, sit for 5 mins giving your subconscious minds orders of exactly what you want. To have an outstanding body and to have a diet that others will be inspired by. There is a book by joesph murray called the ‘power of your subconscious mind’. Its 100% worth getting"

I think these small tips are very useful to us in our daily lives. It’s these small things that constantly reminds us not to cheat, so we can achieve the physique of our dreams. I personally use it on training, where I imagine my muscles working during the training. Kind of like a mind-muscle connection thingy. I’m implementing it in my daily life from now on, and I hope you guys who face dietary problems would find this small tip useful.

Most people think I have an eating disorder because I don’t eat junk. Crazy world we live in.

[quote]traineee wrote:
Well, I guess it’s all about being brave enough to face the problem, and tell yourself you WILL do it. I had this encounter today, whereby there were the regular afternoon snacks session during work.

I was without food for around 4.5 hrs due to meeting and briefings, and I was extremely hungry. Now, these pastries look mighty friendly when one is hungry. But I told myself, I WILL NOT EAT IT, and fortunately, I made it! Soon after, I got back to my desk and had my grilled chicken breasts. Boy was that delicious! I hope I can build on this and keep going strong![/quote]

I can tell you I am in the process of kicking the crap out of a huge eating disorder. It’s called yo yo dieting. I was at one time 374 pounds. It came from severe diet (fasting) and saying “screw it” after I couldn’t take it any more.

About 4 years ago I started cutting out sugar, and tried trimming the calories some and exercising a little. I am down to around 260 now and for the last six months have ate clean , but high daily calories still(around 3500-4000 a day) with 6 days a week workouts. (weights and HIIT) I am losing fat and keeping muscle’ Most people think I have lost 30 pounds since the first of 2008 but I have only lost 10.

2 weeks ago started the V-Diet to try to push my good eating habits to an even better level.

I know that already I look forward to my one meal and I want clean foods. I am curious to see how fast I can get to about 10% body fat without an eating disorder.

I want to get to the point where I never say “screw it” to my good diet any more. The only way I know how to do it is to say “screw it” to dieting and binge eating. You can’t ever get a healthy looking and functional body by massive junk food eating unless you are under 20 and train harder than a Mr Olympia champion. And when you get my age you wish you had never seen a golden arch or knew a Burger King.

For God’s sake cut out the junk food and do yourself a huge favor now. At 53 I am staring at the impossible and telling it to put up it’s dukes!

I feel I’m getting better at it already! One very big indicator for me is natural PB, and I had included it in my diet as I had not much choices left. I managed to keep myself from overeating it by closing the jar right after measuring the amount I need. I know this huge eating disorder is something I can conquer and I will keep working at it.

BTW, thanks for your input Dustyluv! I guess I’m not so much of a severe yo yo dieter, but if I don’t do anything about my problem, I might very well become one! Congrats on getting back on track, cause you’re getting healthier by the day! Let’s work on it together and get the physique of our dreams!

I know what you guys mean. I too have the same issue, it’s like I’m a completely different person when I’m hungry and I’m around food. All week, I’ll stay the course and eat clean, but then I’ll let myself get hungry and all bets are off. I don’t even recognize the binger. He’s evil and all he wants to do is eat. He takes over my mind until everything in sight has been eaten and is gone, then he leaves and I’m left with the guilt. I know I must sound like a headcase here, but that is how it feels sometimes. By the way, for me, this almost exclusively happens at night.

I feel for you six20two. I think you should do what Chris Shugart recommend when on the V-Diet. Take NEPA walks during dinner time to let your mind relax, and re-focus on your goals. Once you had a good walk and break into sweat, you’re all good with food. You are less likely to binge then. Try it and see whether it works!