Do you have a passion for your career?

I’m about to finish college, and I haven’t a clue what I’ll do: grad school, law school, start my career etc. I’ll probably end up moving to a big city and get a job in my degree for the next year or so while I decide. Its just unnerving to not know what I want to do at this point in my life. I know what I DONT want to do, but there are so many things I think I’d enjoy I just dont… at any rate, I’m curious about you who have a real love for what they do. Or, if you hate what you do, I’d be curious to know why you’re still doing it/how you ended up doing it.

If you have advanced studies in mind, my recommendation would be that you do them now.

Those couple of years means less income in the short term, but the eventual bigger yearly paycheck will compensate.

Also, after a couple of years on the job market, I wouldn`t willingly go back to school. You quickly get used to income, lifestyle, and a bigger overall budget. It would feel like going from riches to rags.

Just my 2 cents.

Ditto on higher degrees- do it NOW.

personally, i love what I am doing- mechanical engineering with an emphasis on biomechanical/biomedical.

You’re young, you have a degree - Dude, you have life by the balls.

Do whatever you want to do. Grad school, Law School, whatever career you chose will be there for a long time - why make a mad dash for all that sort of crap when you can do whatever the hell you want to right now?

That’s what I did - I spent the lion’s share of my 20’s doing what I wanted to do. I didn’t get my MBA until I was 35. Now I have my own business, a wonderful family, and I did it on my terms.

I used to.

Then once I ran out of goals and drove away my significant other, instead of getting married to her, I decided that my career isn’t as important to me as I’d thought.

I haven’t replaced that passion yet, well, other than perhaps with working out and being in shape – and I’m only on the path it’s not like I’m there yet.

Perhaps not the most useful response… :wink:

I didn’t know what I wanted to do until I reached my mid twenties, at that point my working philosophy changed from how much dosh can I make? To how little can I afford to earn while doing a job that I enjoy? 10 years later I’m still training people and enjoy going to work every day, sure I don’t earn much but I earn enough to live on.
40 hours a week 48 weeks a year (50 a year I believe in North America) is too much of your life doing something you hate.

Think about getting an internship in a field you’re interested in. It’s a good way to survey the business without a huge committment, and if you decide to stay in that field your internship will make you more hireable.

If you’re interested in law, see if you can be a clerk in a law office, for example.

Try to get hooked up with an internship while you are still in school, but if it happens after you get your diploma, it’s still worthwhile.