T Nation

Do You Ever Get Bored Of 'Training'?

[quote]chobbs wrote:
OP, do you also have trouble getting mentally prepared for big/money sets? I just feel like either you have it or you don’t mentally.
Ex. Kobe Bryant’s instincts[/quote]

I’ve never had a problem getting myself prepared for ‘money sets’. Why should I? It’s just lifting weight. It’s not an audition for American Idol. People make this out to be a whole lot more than it actually is.

[quote]CMdad wrote:
I have been wrestling with this problem of boredom with training for the last 4 months or so. I’ve been in a fat-cutting phase over this time period and getting up the motivation to train in a constant caloric deficit has been exhausting. It’s rewarding to see the lard coming off but, I keep asking myself “to what end”.

For me, I could care less about the esthetic side of things; I only care about performance. Cutting the fat is for the long term health benefits. For where I’m at in my life (32, married, 2 kids, small business owner), I’m about as strong as I think I’ll ever need or want to be. Thus, I’ve come to the conclusion that I will be focusing on boxing for the forseeable future and lifting only to maintain the strength that I’ve built up. Mentally and physically, I simply need the break from balls-to-the-wall lifting.[/quote]

This post really resonates with me. “To what end” sums it all up perfectly.

Boredom with training is always fleeting with me and usually coincides with a shit session, generally a few hours after I am pretty excited to get it out of my system with a better session.

I have always been a goal oriented person, to a fault. Many things, important facets of my life I am just worried about the end result and not how I accomplished the goal. Its a problem, with training and always setting goals big and small, near future and distant future it has showed me how to respect and enjoy the process and not just the goal. Its a big issue for me to implement this way of thinking into other aspects of my life.

I guess I generally do not get bored because I enjoy the process, I don’t find it boring and I am also one of those lifters that does find mentally therapeutic.

If you over think things almost everything becomes meaningless.

The mind can be a terrible thing…sometimes.

No, I don’t get bored, because it was never fun for me in the first place. I have goals, and I put in the work to reach towards them. That’s all there is to it.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:
Ok guys, we all know that we’re hardcore T men who pray to the steel, purging our sins and issues through the medium of basic, hard exercise.[/quote]I’m bored of seeing people calling lifters ‘hardcore’, even if it’s just sarcasm…

I think this is an important question. And yeah, I get bored sometimes. I tend to get bored with my specific workouts, though, rather than get bored with the whole idea of working out. For quite a few years now I have been going back and forth between barbell routines and kettlebell routines. I know the kettlebells don’t get a lot of love here, but I find them to be really fun, useful tools.

Anyways, that is just what works for me. But I think the other thing that allows me to keep going is having other pursuits that don’t necessarily relate to lifting. In some parts of the year I’m really focused on training horses. My workouts become punch the clock type routines that keep me going. At other times I’m hitting the weights hard and striving to put on some muscle or add pounds to my deadlift. I know this method will not bring results as quickly as others, but I’m lifting for life. I want to be doing this, and enjoying it, for a long time.

To the OP, I think picking up a new sport like cycling could be awesome. I used to cycle competitively, and I wish I knew more about strength when I did. You could find it is a really great sport for you. Like Chris says, you can also add some weight stuff if you feel like it. Or maybe you hit it hard on the bike all summer and then crush the weights in the winter. Again, not the fastest way to make progress in either area, but it strikes me as a downright fun way to train for a while.

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
Hey Chris! Would you mind sharing with us what 6-8 programs you chose to follow for the past year. Maybe enlighten us on which one gave the most results, which one sucked ass, and all the in-between. Just curious. Thanks!![/quote]
Not meaning to hijack this thread, I talked on and off about them in my ‘How Do You Train’ thread:

In order, for 2013 I did:
Waterbury’ ABBH 1 and 2:


(Nice split, would’ve liked more leg work.)


(Good stuff again, different-but-similar to first plan.)

Henriques’ Basic Strength Plan:


(Surprisingly simple and, derr, basic 3-day strength routine. Tough leg day.)

Cosgrove’s Complexes for Fat Loss:


(Brutal, but I added some simple strength work I felt was missing.)

Thib’s OVT:


(Solid concept, but long sessions. Got burned out mentally.)

Waterbury’s SOB Training:


(Felt awesome. Favorite plan all around.)

and currently finishing with Dan John’s Twice a Week plan:


(Killer leg day [30 rep squats], but honestly feels almost like a deload overall.)

But yeah, after a year of it, I’m kinda spent on following a script and I’m feeling amped to get back to designing my own plans.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:
picture of Roger Estep that is frequently confused for a picture of Rippetoe.[/quote]
By who lol[/quote]

I think the confusion is self-evident, don’t you? Someone took the time to lay that quote over that picture, which implies that the man talking about lifting weights is the same as the man depicted lifting weights.

Also, this is not the first time I’ve seen that particular picture, implicitly or explicitly, associated with Rippetoe.

No, I don’t but I often wonder if I would still train and lift if I knew I would never get any stronger or bigger. Would you still lift and train if you already had achieved the level of strength and physique you wanted or it was not possible to get any stronger or bigger.

OMG NO ! Training is the most exciting thing in the whole world to me !!

And there are so many super fun new things to learn and incorporate into your routine !

Like holds, drop sets, partials, partials plus normals then back to partials again, rest/pause sets, and many, many more !
And new exercises to learn and try.

Tinker tinker tinker!! It’s the tinkering that makes it so fun.
Especially if you have a body part that is bugging you. Reading about it and learning new ways to hammer at it is so rewarding.

EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee

I spent two hours at work today typing out exercises for each body part that I consider “fun extra’s” to throw in at the end of my workouts if I have time that I might have otherwise forgotten about.

TOmorrow at work I am going to laminate it !!!
EEHEHE

I’ve never been bored of training, i love every second of it. I love the fact its something I can push my self physically in, I never had that drive in any other sport. The best part is the high afterwards, I feel like a million bucks. Being muscular and in shape definitely gave me more self esteem as well.

How often do you work to achieve specific goals in the gym? The only time I get bored is when I’m not working for a specific goal of some sort. I’m going to be honest, slightly rude, and possibly 100% off base. If the profile pic of you is recent, I wouldn’t even assume you have a gym membership, nor any kind of diet. Not saying someone needs to be cut up, but you can usually tell who takes training fairly serious, even if they don’t have much mass, they might be shredded, even if they carry too much fat, they still usually look massive and powerful. Maybe you need to reassess your training, set some new goals, and work towards them. That’s literally the only time I’ve ever gotten bored on a routine basis is when I don’t have a goal to work towards. Even if it’s as simple as losing 20lbs while maintaining the same lifts. Just SOMETHING to actually work towards.

[quote]Tattoo85 wrote:
How often do you work to achieve specific goals in the gym? The only time I get bored is when I’m not working for a specific goal of some sort. I’m going to be honest, slightly rude, and possibly 100% off base. If the profile pic of you is recent, I wouldn’t even assume you have a gym membership, nor any kind of diet. Not saying someone needs to be cut up, but you can usually tell who takes training fairly serious, even if they don’t have much mass, they might be shredded, even if they carry too much fat, they still usually look massive and powerful. Maybe you need to reassess your training, set some new goals, and work towards them. That’s literally the only time I’ve ever gotten bored on a routine basis is when I don’t have a goal to work towards. Even if it’s as simple as losing 20lbs while maintaining the same lifts. Just SOMETHING to actually work towards.[/quote]

Profile pic isn’t him. It was some random drunk who wanted him to take his picture at the pub or something, I can’t remember the story exactly.

Nope!

As someone has already said, boredom is usually short-term and/or after a rubbish session or 2. But earlier this year I went from using mostly upper/lower splits or a 531 template to doing 2-3 whole body sessions a week, super basic just compound exercises and zero “fluff,” then 1-2 sessions a week of circuits, especially rooneys TFW hurricanes, and started enjoying training more than I had in months; so well worth trying, and the results were great too, fat loss wise without any noticeable loss of strength

I can relate, But this feeling usually comes when I need a break physically. When the boredom/lack of motivation hits I:
Take a few days/a week off from the gym.
Don’t look at T-Nation/any other related website
Forget about training

The hunger usually bites me by the end of the week and its a fresh start

Tbh it sounds like you’re looking for validation to stop lifting; do what you want to do. It’s like when people see me eating my almonds or cottage cheese at work and take the piss or make excuses why they’re not eating ‘healthily’, I don’t care what they do… If I could be happy out on my road bike cycling 50 miles in one session or sat on my arse watching tv eating pringles then I would be doing that. But what I’ve found is looking good naked and being bigger than most other blokes in my day-to-day life makes me happy. Call me shallow.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
OP, do you also have trouble getting mentally prepared for big/money sets? I just feel like either you have it or you don’t mentally.
Ex. Kobe Bryant’s instincts[/quote]

I’ve never had a problem getting myself prepared for ‘money sets’. Why should I? It’s just lifting weight. It’s not an audition for American Idol. People make this out to be a whole lot more than it actually is.

[/quote]

And this is where those who get bored and those who don’t get bored are fundamentally different. It’s NOT just lifting weight to me and it means a whole lot more to me than any Idol audition ever could (or the equivalent).

No disrespect at all but from this I conclude that it just doesn’t mean that much to you and there is nothing wrong with that! You should take up different sports to tickle your fancy. Might even help you when you cycle back to hard weight training.

Hope you don’t take anything I said the wrong way. This is not me saying you are weak or bla bla bla. You simply seem ready for a different challenge…

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
OP, do you also have trouble getting mentally prepared for big/money sets? I just feel like either you have it or you don’t mentally.
Ex. Kobe Bryant’s instincts[/quote]

I’ve never had a problem getting myself prepared for ‘money sets’. Why should I? It’s just lifting weight. It’s not an audition for American Idol. People make this out to be a whole lot more than it actually is.

[/quote]

And this is where those who get bored and those who don’t get bored are fundamentally different. It’s NOT just lifting weight to me and it means a whole lot more to me than any Idol audition ever could (or the equivalent).

No disrespect at all but from this I conclude that it just doesn’t mean that much to you and there is nothing wrong with that! You should take up different sports to tickle your fancy. Might even help you when you cycle back to hard weight training.

Hope you don’t take anything I said the wrong way. This is not me saying you are weak or bla bla bla. You simply seem ready for a different challenge…[/quote]
I agree. The idea of getting bored of weight training feels equivalent to me like getting bored of having sex or something lol.

There’s nothing wrong with not being as into it as other people though like you said. You know what’s funny? Benni Magnusson, who has deadlifted more than any other human in history (1015 raw) isn’t really that into powerlifting. He loves it every once in a while, but for long stretches of time he doesn’t train seriously or even at all. He just isn’t that into it. In fact he said once that one of the big reasons he does it is because he feels obligated since he’s so strong lol.

I’ve gotten bored, and everyone does at some point. Cutting down the volume and hitting the major exercises has helped. Changing the program helps also. Bottom line: get in there and do something, it’s better to be strong than weak. It will turn around.

Do a cycle, it makes training way more fun hahaha

Sorry man, but the ripped look is NOT everywhere! I can think of NO REASON EVER to stop lifting weights. I am after all the dumdass who generally trains once a week. If you can’t get motivated enuf to do that, maybe you should give it up altogether! Why not just train less for a while and do different stuff each workout.

You might not get results the same as doing a Wendler, Shugart, Staley program, but if you stop training you will lose all the progress you’ve made. IMO make it as interesting as possible each workout and keep moving forward. If not, your body won’t be as good and you WILL regret it. Why not at least try once a week? You may just keep most(or all) of your muscle . Then turn up the flame when you, re ready!Confusion