Do You Encourage a Young Lifter?

I completely disagree that a 12 y.o. won’t get enough out of lifting to make it worthwhile.

He might not build a whole lot of muscle right off the bat, but he will be gaining valuable experience under the bar and he will be making brain-muscle connections. He’ll be familiar with the lifts and comfortable with his form.

Then when he hits the prime growing period of his entire freaking life, he won’t be starting out with wobbly-kneed squats and shaky benches. He’ll have already passed that point and will be ready to explode in size and strength.

You see it all the time: the kids who start seriously lifting a couple or three years earlier than the rest pretty much lap the field in high school.

i hit puberty when i was 12 had a mustash and everything…

[quote]BigMike wrote:
i hit puberty when i was 12 had a mustash and everything…[/quote]

studies shown people who hit puberty early don’t grow as much so your probably like 5’6.

Live in the 781 or whatever, you are a serious dumbshit.

Definitely encourage the kid. My neighbor, who happened to be a football coach, had a weight set in his garage. One day i knocked on the door and asked him if he would show me how to lift. I was 13. He told me to show up after school M, W, and F, if I missed once we were done. I never missed a training day. I still lift today at the age of 40.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
whats your point? you didnt make any muscular gains until you hit puberty…not sure when that was…but thats all im saying. i dont care if you start lifting when youre 8 or 9, but understand youre pretty much doing it in vain.[/quote]

You learn good habits, proper form, you can make gains due to increased neural efficiency, and it’s something to do with dad. My son started light bodyweight stuff at four years of age. At about 9 I let him do exercises such as sled dragging, squats with light weight, deadlifts, presses and curls. I made sure he did them right and guess what? He enjoys it now.

He deadlifted 130 at 65 pounds when he was nine and he is now doing 200 at 95 pounds and 13.5. He didn’t go through puberty yet, but he has this funny thing called a work ethic. He likes working out, drills for sports practice, etc. Coaches like him because of his effort.

It’s better than sitting around eating worms and watching cartoons. Try having some kids and raising them before deciding what they should or shouldn’t do.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
I completely disagree that a 12 y.o. won’t get enough out of lifting to make it worthwhile.

He might not build a whole lot of muscle right off the bat, but he will be gaining valuable experience under the bar and he will be making brain-muscle connections. He’ll be familiar with the lifts and comfortable with his form.

Then when he hits the prime growing period of his entire freaking life, he won’t be starting out with wobbly-kneed squats and shaky benches. He’ll have already passed that point and will be ready to explode in size and strength.

You see it all the time: the kids who start seriously lifting a couple or three years earlier than the rest pretty much lap the field in high school.[/quote]

All very true, my son at 13 has better form than a lot of lifts you see posted here.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
whats your point? you didnt make any muscular gains until you hit puberty…not sure when that was…but thats all im saying. i dont care if you start lifting when youre 8 or 9, but understand youre pretty much doing it in vain.

You learn good habits, proper form, you can make gains due to increased neural efficiency, and it’s something to do with dad. My son started light bodyweight stuff at four years of age. At about 9 I let him do exercises such as sled dragging, squats with light weight, deadlifts, presses and curls. I made sure he did them right and guess what? He enjoys it now.

He deadlifted 130 at 65 pounds when he was nine and he is now doing 200 at 95 pounds and 13.5. He didn’t go through puberty yet, but he has this funny thing called a work ethic. He likes working out, drills for sports practice, etc. Coaches like him because of his effort.

It’s better than sitting around eating worms and watching cartoons. Try having some kids and raising them before deciding what they should or shouldn’t do.

[/quote]

raising kids has nothing to do with the fact that they arent going to be putting on muscle. you seem to be completely blind to that. i dont give a shit what you do with your kids, but a lot of kids get the false sense that they can put on muscle before they actually can. who knows, these kids believe in santa clause and the easter bunny so i guess its not too far fetched that they believe theyre putting on mass as well and dont realize that theyre just growing naturally because theyre 12 and thats what 12 year olds do.

cam people please stop bringing up form too. i already talked about learning proper form at a young age, but not every kid at the gym is there with someone who knows how to squat and deadlift properly.

maybe it makes them feel grown up or something, i dont know. little girls like to wear their moms high heels i gues little guys like to do calf raises and walk on the treadmill. do what you guys want with your kids, but that doesnt id feel a little guilty telling a kid he should keep lifitng because the only point i see in lifting is to get bigger and stronger, which isnt going to happen with them.

i dont see the point in someone lifting whos so young they cant produce testosterone. you could say itd be good to learn the right form etc early on because its easier…but if that were the case someone would be there with them to teach them. so nah, unless youve hit puberty dont even go to the gym.[/quote]

Unfortunately couldn’t find a vid on it’s own, but 3min into this one you’ll find your answer;

http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1fe86bf60923267c5611

And you guys said 12 year olds can’t be strong…

[quote]
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

raising kids has nothing to do with the fact that they arent going to be putting on muscle. you seem to be completely blind to that. i dont give a shit what you do with your kids, but a lot of kids get the false sense that they can put on muscle before they actually can. who knows, these kids believe in santa clause and the easter bunny so i guess its not too far fetched that they believe theyre putting on mass as well and dont realize that theyre just growing naturally because theyre 12 and thats what 12 year olds do.

cam people please stop bringing up form too. i already talked about learning proper form at a young age, but not every kid at the gym is there with someone who knows how to squat and deadlift properly.

maybe it makes them feel grown up or something, i dont know. little girls like to wear their moms high heels i gues little guys like to do calf raises and walk on the treadmill. do what you guys want with your kids, but that doesnt id feel a little guilty telling a kid he should keep lifitng because the only point i see in lifting is to get bigger and stronger, which isnt going to happen with them.[/quote]

Already said but, lifting teaches them work ethic, lets them release anxiety and energy, strengthens tendons/ligaments/joints, keeps them leaner, helps them learn proper form early on so they get a head start on others, etc, etc… and I dont know if you’ve ever heard of this thing before, it’s called pride of accomplishment.

It’s all future capita and if all you get out of lifting are strength and size you really are missing a ton… Sides I dont know what the hell are you babling, women can build some muscle with low testosterone, why not young kids?

14 year olds lift their freshmen year at most high schools if they play football or basketball. At least some of these kids are ‘late bloomer’ types, who may not have begun puberty. It’s not like they don’t progress at all, so why not a younger kid if they show interest in it?

12 year olds change their interests so fast anyway, you might as well encourage what could become a lifelong passion while they’re still interested before they decide something else is ‘cool.’

[quote]R@NE wrote:
Already said but, lifting teaches them work ethic, lets them release anxiety and energy, strengthens tendons/ligaments/joints, keeps them leaner, helps them learn proper form early on so they get a head start on others, etc, etc… and I dont know if you’ve ever heard of this thing before, it’s called pride of accomplishment.

It’s all future capita and if all you get out of lifting are strength and size you really are missing a ton…
[/quote]

FUCKING RIGHT! - in fact, at that age, muscle growth is probably the least important benefit they might achieve.

Eating my PWO meal today, I thought about how fortunate we are to have this in our lives - it gives us so much vitality and INNER strength, it’s sad to think how many people (the majority) go plodding through their daily lives like sheep, complacent and content with a mediocre or less quality of life.

I know. I used to be one of them… yes, a completely sedentary FFB.

[quote]shizen wrote:
BigMike wrote:

studies shown people who hit puberty early don’t grow as much so your probably like 5’6. [/quote]

SHIT…
I started puberty at 7-8 >_>
shave daily at 14…

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
shizen wrote:
BigMike wrote:

studies shown people who hit puberty early don’t grow as much so your probably like 5’6.

SHIT…
shave daily at 14…[/quote]

Yup

I remember freaking out in early elementary when I was getting boners, frequently. I had to shave daily during middle school.

My generation is hitting puberty significantly earlier then what a lot of you seem to think.

tom63 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
whats your point? you didnt make any muscular gains until you hit puberty…not sure when that was…but thats all im saying. i dont care if you start lifting when youre 8 or 9, but understand youre pretty much doing it in vain.

maybe it makes them feel grown up or something, i dont know. little girls like to wear their moms high heels i gues little guys like to do calf raises and walk on the treadmill. do what you guys want with your kids, but that doesnt id feel a little guilty telling a kid he should keep lifitng because the only point i see in lifting is to get bigger and stronger, which isnt going to happen with them.[/quote]

And how old are you and what kids have you raised and trained?

My second day in the gym, I basically busted my face on a power clean.

A huge guy on the other side of the gym laughed his ass of at me, and proceeded to show me how to do power cleans, and a few other lifts. Told me if I kept up the smae effort I put in that day, I’d be “one strong ass motherfuckin’ kid.”

Did it encourage me to continue lifting? You bet your ass it did!

Seriously, as long as the person doesn’t look like a prick, encouragement is one of the best things you can do in the gym. I learned the basics of cleaning, snatching, and squatting ass to grass that day, and that definitely helped to spur my fitness interests, big time.

[quote]I AM wrote:
Live in the 781 or whatever, you are a serious dumbshit.[/quote]

Best post of the thread.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
I AM wrote:
Live in the 781 or whatever, you are a serious dumbshit.

Best post of the thread. [/quote]

Possibly best post ever

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
shizen wrote:
BigMike wrote:

SHIT…
shave daily at 14…[/quote]

Yeah your ass.