Do You Deadlift with Wrist Straps?

[quote]Dijon wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:
Use a mixed grip, alternate which hand is under each week.[/quote]

Do you think that mixing it up every set like I do is too frequent?
[/quote]

Yes. I’ve tried that and it tends to throw me off. Switching every week or even every couple of weeks is more than sufficient. I’d also be willing to bet there are some very strong lifters who never switch.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:
Use a mixed grip, alternate which hand is under each week. Get some chalk and apply it. The only acceptable use of straps for deadlifting that I can think of is for snatch grip deadlifts or for someone who pulls with a hook grip that is trying to give their thumbs a break. If your bicep hurts from pulling, make sure you’re keeping your arms straight.[/quote]

That’s when I use them, snatch grip deads. Hook grip on lighter, straps heavier. It kicks the crap out of my thumbs otherwise.[/quote]

I can’t hold onto much of nothing without straps and a snatch grip, so I use them quite a bit for that particular exercise.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:
Use a mixed grip, alternate which hand is under each week. Get some chalk and apply it. The only acceptable use of straps for deadlifting that I can think of is for snatch grip deadlifts or for someone who pulls with a hook grip that is trying to give their thumbs a break. If your bicep hurts from pulling, make sure you’re keeping your arms straight.[/quote]

That’s when I use them, snatch grip deads. Hook grip on lighter, straps heavier. It kicks the crap out of my thumbs otherwise.[/quote]

I can’t hold onto much of nothing without straps and a snatch grip, so I use them quite a bit for that particular exercise.[/quote]

Agreed, snatch grip is humbling for the grip. The fact that my fingers are too damn short for hook grip to work very well isn’t exactly helping either. :confused:

[quote]Matsa wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

I can’t hold onto much of nothing without straps and a snatch grip, so I use them quite a bit for that particular exercise.[/quote]

Agreed, snatch grip is humbling for the grip. The fact that my fingers are too damn short for hook grip to work very well isn’t exactly helping either. :confused:
[/quote]

I’ve been blessed with long spider fingers that make grip issues quite rare.

I don’t use straps but I beg to differ about the ripping callouses making you a man. You rip 2-3 areas of skin off of each hand that are the size of a nickel then your training will definately be affected. I’m not talking top layer skin, I’m talking several layers of a thick built up callous. I used to think that was manly until it affected my meet preparation. Try shredding those hands and not being able to use them well when you are 3 weeks out from a meet. You are screwed mentally when you can’t get in any pulls at 90% or more in preparation for a powerlifting meet. Call me stupid but the closer I get to a powerlifting meet the more I use a pummice stone to take down my callouses so I don’t tear them completely off.

mixed grip and rotational torque forces on the body???

can’t comment because I don’t use it but might be the reality

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
what does mixed grip do for you? i tried it before but my undergrip arm’s bicep was really sore afterwards.[/quote]

Sounds like you’re not keeping your arms straight.

No, I do not DL with straps. I use the hook grip and can comfortably hold 600 at lockout for 10 seconds using it.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
No, I do not DL with straps. I use the hook grip and can comfortably hold 600 at lockout for 10 seconds using it.[/quote]
Don’t think i’ve ever heard anyone use “hook grip” and “comfortably” in the same sentence before.

[quote]Matsa wrote:

[quote]GaWd wrote:

I think we all know that straps are useful tools,
[/quote]

My personal opinion is that beginners should stay away from straps, avoid using them for as long as possible. If for some reason they want to use straps later in their career it’s usually fine, but by then they should have built a solid foundation of grip strength.[/quote]

Agreed!
2.0 - 2.5 bodyweight deadlifts without straps equals a solid foundation of grip strength.

5/3/1 definitely helped my grip out. I am now lifting weights double overhand that I could hardly hold onto with mixed grip in the past.

Chalk + hook grip. Can easily handle 2.0-2.5 x bodyweight deadlifts

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a good DLer at a meet NOT use a mixed grip.

Train your grip rather than rely on straps if you have any inclination to compete.

Callouses? Who cares.

If your biceps are sore, you must be tugging with them. Bad stuff. Arms should be straight and no jerk when breaking the weight off the floor.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

MORE REASON TO NOT USE THEM

[quote]CAS77 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[/quote]

x2. Chop the weight if you need to. A strong body with a wimpy grip is quite usless

“A strong body with a wimpy grip is quite useless.”

Fixed for errors, but quoted for truth. This is great.

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]CAS77 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[/quote]

x2. Chop the weight if you need to. A strong body with a wimpy grip is quite usless[/quote]

You both missed the point of my post. I can’t hold weights with a snatch grip, I’ve never missed a regular deadlift due to grip issues. Thankfully, I don’t compete in the snatch grip deadlift and doing it seems to improve my competition pull, so I’m going to keep using straps on them.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
Can’t say I’ve ever seen a good DLer at a meet NOT use a mixed grip.

.[/quote]

Most used mixed. Couple of really good deadlifters who hook grip though

Brad Gillingham

Mikhail Koklyaev

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]CAS77 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[/quote]

x2. Chop the weight if you need to. A strong body with a wimpy grip is quite usless[/quote]

You both missed the point of my post. I can’t hold weights with a snatch grip, I’ve never missed a regular deadlift due to grip issues. Thankfully, I don’t compete in the snatch grip deadlift and doing it seems to improve my competition pull, so I’m going to keep using straps on them.[/quote]

I’m close to a 600 pound deadlift. the only style of deadlift I use straps for is a wide snatch grip. I can’t hold much more than 365 that way.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]CAS77 wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[/quote]

You both missed the point of my post. I can’t hold weights with a snatch grip, I’ve never missed a regular deadlift due to grip issues. Thankfully, I don’t compete in the snatch grip deadlift and doing it seems to improve my competition pull, so I’m going to keep using straps on them.[/quote]

I’m close to a 600 pound deadlift. the only style of deadlift I use straps for is a wide snatch grip. I can’t hold much more than 365 that way.[/quote]

This is kind of my thought. I can pull 375 from the floor and over 400 from below the knees mixed grip. Snatch grip though? Nothing even close to that. It isn’t a grip exercise for me so why limit myself. I’ve never had my grip fail in competition so I don’t really worry about it. Use tools wisely and they help.