Do You Consume Alcohol?

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
I don’t care what “studies” big booze wants to push on us, a drinking habbit does not have “health benefits”.[/quote]

Actually, the research is legit:

[/quote]

Assuming those figures are correct would my no smoking/drinking/drugs, good diet and training 6-7x a week not give me better benefits. Are those “benefits” special to alcohol? Should one start drinking?

I always saw those benefits as a way to justify drinking. Same thing with weed and its “benefits”. If you enjoy it have at it that should be reason enough. Otherwise I feel like any of the benefits can be achieved with a good diet and exercise.

• Did I use the word benefit enough?
    [/quote]

It’s also worth considering if those studies that supposedly show benefits are showing the drinking to be the cause or just a correlation of other factors. I don’t care enough to look into it, but I suspect that drinkers have more in common than just the drink - social, economic, etc… For example if a man worked 18 hours a day and has no time to drink, did his lack of drink give him that heart attack or did his work habbit? If someone who didn’t work at all didn’t drink because they had no income with which to do so did the lack of drink give them the heart attack or did the poverty? If a man goes out socializing and has a beer down at the bar a few nights a week was it the beer or the activity that kept his heart healthy?

Not to mention do the claimed benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

It’s ironic that alcohol is the cause of - and solution to - most of life’s problems.

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I have never consumed alcohol.[/quote]

Same.[/quote]

Me as well.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
It’s ironic that alcohol is the cause of - and solution to - most of life’s problems.[/quote]

d’oh!

I like a rum, but I only drink with company. Never alone.

Lately I’ve gotten back into smoking grass. Haven’t really done it for years but I’ve smoked a ton of it recently. It’s funny; I’d never even consider having a drink if I was on my own as I consider it a slippery slope, but I’ll happily have my first smoke at like 11am if I’ve nothing to do that day. In my mind they’re totally different but I suppose most people probably wouldn’t see it that way.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Lately I’ve gotten back into smoking grass. Haven’t really done it for years but I’ve smoked a ton of it recently. It’s funny; I’d never even consider having a drink if I was on my own as I consider it a slippery slope, but I’ll happily have my first smoke at like 11am if I’ve nothing to do that day. In my mind they’re totally different but I suppose most people probably wouldn’t see it that way.[/quote]

A lot of people seem to see it that way. A couple of years ago we were all sitting round the morning after a house party and a couple of joints got passed round while everyone was still in their pjs. It’s not really my thing so I made myself a cheeky G&T and they all started telling me how terrible it was to drink at that time of day.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Lately I’ve gotten back into smoking grass. Haven’t really done it for years but I’ve smoked a ton of it recently. It’s funny; I’d never even consider having a drink if I was on my own as I consider it a slippery slope, but I’ll happily have my first smoke at like 11am if I’ve nothing to do that day. In my mind they’re totally different but I suppose most people probably wouldn’t see it that way.[/quote]

A lot of people seem to see it that way. A couple of years ago we were all sitting round the morning after a house party and a couple of joints got passed round while everyone was still in their pjs. It’s not really my thing so I made myself a cheeky G&T and they all started telling me how terrible it was to drink at that time of day.
[/quote]

yeah, the way I rationalise it is that if I needed to suddenly do something important involving heavy machinery, stoned Bob is way more use than drunk Bob.

And Diddy, if you were ever at a party at mine there’s be no judgement at all if you fixed yourself a morning GnT. We’d probably still be drinking anyway

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

yeah, the way I rationalise it is that if I needed to suddenly do something important involving heavy machinery, stoned Bob is way more use than drunk Bob.

And Diddy, if you were ever at a party at mine there’s be no judgement at all if you fixed yourself a morning GnT. [/quote]

Especially a “cheeky” one! Who can judge that negatively??

I’m a brewer…

It’s 100% all or none for me. When I drank a beer, it meant I’m was gonna drink a case (and likely some hard shit too). I could have gone pro.

I have given it up for a while now (with strength, hope, luck, and support). I feel 1000% better, my training and recovery are better, and I save a lot of money.

I ENVY people who have the willpower to stop at 1 or 2. I cannot.

I love beer. I really love the beer in this picture, which is made in my town. I do not love that it has 208 calories per 12 oz can.

I’ve been enjoying some “session” beers that are still quite good but in the 130 calorie ballpark per 12oz serving. Flying Dog’s “Easy IPA” is one of them, and 21st Amendment’s “Bitter American” is another one with a lot of flavor for the calories.

It is my struggle! It definitely has a negative impact on my health and fitness goals. No doubt about that. Other aspects of life don’t seem to suffer, but I rarely drink in excess. A sixer is plenty to give me a pleasant buzz, enjoy the brew and wake up feeling good the next day.

My 20’s however, have a much different story than my 30’s, with lots of alcohol-fueled depravity. A decade of unrepentant excess was a good character-builder for me, but not everyone comes out the other side okay. Binge with caution!

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:

I ENVY people who have the willpower to stop at 1 or 2. I cannot. [/quote]

me neither, which is another reason why I don’t drink alone. End up shouting at the tv and shit like that

I drink mostly beer, nothing fancy either. Whatever 30 pack is on sale at Stop and Shop. I’ll drink a few gin and tonics if I’m out to dinner. I had a bad experience with wine when I was 16… can’t even look at it.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:

I ENVY people who have the willpower to stop at 1 or 2. I cannot. [/quote]

me neither, which is another reason why I don’t drink alone. End up shouting at the tv and shit like that[/quote]

Heard that… luckily, when I got my swerve on I typically blacked out so have limited memory of my retardness… Unfortunately my wife saw it in all it’s glory. Lucky she hung with me until I could get my shit together. I’m still ashamed of how I must have looked and acted but it has motivated me to be a better person for her.

Cant when I am on call which is every third week. My wife stays on my ass cause she grew up with alcoholics and I have that tendency being a Scottish Hillbilly to love my drink. So I have trained myself after 20 years to drink in moderation. So I can now go have a few with business dinners or dinner with the wife. Or a couple at the house when work has sucked balls that day. I prefer Single malts, Rum and dark beer.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
It’s ironic that alcohol is the cause of - and solution to - most of life’s problems.[/quote]

I think you’ll find that chemically speaking alcohol is a solution.

Sure you can’t solve your problems with alcohol, but I don’t see Milk or Water putting their hands up in that regards either.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

If I had to choose to give up bud or alcohol, I would choose alcohol. If you drink every day, even a little, the effects are very noticeable both body comp wise and feeling generally shitty. With bud, the only after effect might be that you are a little slow in the morning before coffee. You can definitely smoke in the early part of the day and still be productive(not going to work obviously). Not so much with the alcohol.

Guinness is a great beer in my opinion. It’s very low in alcohol and calories - only 125 caps per 12 oz. it’s easy to drink 3 or 4 without getting more than a good buzz. If it’s not on tap many places do carry it in bottles.

49 pages-worth of two different Whiskey threads would say, yes, more than a few guys here drink regularly. I’ll often have a bourbon or red wine a few days a week, either with dinner or while cooking. Arbitrary rule of thumb: Nothing on days I lift. When eating out, I might have a beer if the mood strikes me (rarely).

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
I don’t care what “studies” big booze wants to push on us, a drinking habbit does not have “health benefits”.[/quote]
Actually, the research is legit:

Alcohol | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health [/quote]
X2. Slightly more in-depth info from the same site:
Alcohol | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Not sure Harvard School of Public Health = “Big Booze”. Is “Big Agriculture” behind all that fictional propaganda praising the health benefits of fruits and vegetables? If you don’t want to drink, no prob at all. But your statement is quite literally ignorant of the facts.

Some of the studies have looked into this. It’s not strictly lifestyle-related. Things like resveratrol, polyphenols, and other nutrients are most likely responsible.

What are the drawbacks of 12oz of beer or 5oz of wine per day? Calorie count, I guess, and… ?

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
Otherwise I feel like any of the benefits can be achieved with a good diet and exercise.[/quote]
Some studies have looked into grapes having similar health benefits as wine, so this could certainly be true to an extent.

I will have approximately 3-4 drinks a year now. In college it was a lot more, totally quit for a couple years, now on occasion I will have an after dinner drink instead of an after dinner coffee. My typical is either Jameson or Wild Turkey with a little water over ice, if its a beer I like Michelob, Heineken, Killians, or Blue Moon depending on my mood. Sometimes my wife will want some Moscato D’Asti and I will have a glass of that with her but that has occurred all of three times since we have been married.