T Nation

Do You Consume Alcohol?

Just wondering what you guys let yourselves enjoy if you do in fact drink once in a while. Red Wine? A nice imported beer?

I currently do not consume alcohol but was just curious if you guys do.

Gin, wine, beer, Scotch, whatever else I have lying around.

I have never consumed alcohol.

I mostly drink micro-brews and some whiskey or scotch from time to time. I love beer. And Whiskey. And Scotch.

I typically drink twice a week unless I’m on vacation.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I have never consumed alcohol.[/quote]

That’s impressive.

I drink much less than I used to but I do enjoy some Jack Daniels and seasonal beers from time to time.

Same.

Once every few weeks - usually just the one.

One of beer, scotch, wine, gin (order of most frequent, swap scotch and beer, then swap wine and gin and it’s order of preference)

Beer & wine usually with a meal. Scotch or gin without. At a social function - beer. Though, should a scotch or gin be available I would opt for those.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:

That’s impressive.
[/quote]

It’s actually easier than you think. I think moderation would be far more challenging. Right now, all I’m doing is NOT doing something, haha.

Lot of alcoholism in my family, just seemed a lot easier to not even start. I haven’t totally ruled it out (honestly a lot of health benefits to moderate drinking), just doing ok without for right now.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:

That’s impressive.
[/quote]

It’s actually easier than you think. I think moderation would be far more challenging. Right now, all I’m doing is NOT doing something, haha.

Lot of alcoholism in my family, just seemed a lot easier to not even start. I haven’t totally ruled it out (honestly a lot of health benefits to moderate drinking), just doing ok without for right now.
[/quote]

I would like to cut it out of my life completely but I do enjoy it

In the past week or so, I had some rum, some red wine, some homemade spiced red wine, and a couple microbrew “winter seasonal” beers.

The week before was rum, gin, whiskey, mezcal, wine and beer.

I’ve had wine a lot in the last month or so; we’re trying to make use of a wine tasting passport before the end of the year, so we’ve just been visiting various tasting rooms on the weekends. Only a couple have been good enough to buy a bottle.

Pretty much, if it’s alcohol and it tastes good, I’ll drink it.

honestly a lot of health benefits to moderate drinking
[/quote]

such as?

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[/quote]

such as?[/quote]

Apparently, there’s cardio-protective effects associated with 1-2 drinks per day.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]TheCB wrote:

[/quote]

such as?[/quote]

Apparently, there’s cardio-protective effects associated with 1-2 drinks per day.
[/quote]

A beer bong a day keeps the doctor away.

I’ll have some whiskey (preferably bourbon) on Wednesday and some beer on Saturday.

I drink mostly wine, both red and white, beer occasionally, mixed drinks occasionally. When I do beer it’s either a light American beer (summertime outside) or a draft microbrew (winter evening in a pub). Mixed drinks for me might be something like a martini at a jazz club or mudslides and a movie at home with my boyfriend after an especially exhausting day spent outside.

I’m happy with both my level of and the circumstances surrounding my consumption.

I don’t care what “studies” big booze wants to push on us, a drinking habbit does not have “health benefits”.

@OP - to answer your question I don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs of any kind. I’ve got no problem with people who do, but the stuffs just not for me. Doesn’t fit my lifestyle, and is counter productive to my goals of self improvement.

Fine wines and beer. “Fine” doesn’t necessarily mean expensive. Fine Rieslings are remarkably cheap. I also lay wine down(age it) - a have a humidity and temperature controlled cabinet for the purpose. I generally have a few beers while I’m cooking or waiting for dinner and then wine with my meal. I also like a good dry sherry sometimes. A good dry sherry is hard to find though. Most sherry sold tastes like shit. Sometimes I have liqueur after dessert.

Speaking of dessert, I love liqueur/spirits flavoured desserts. One I invented myself is banana fried in butter then set alight in the pan with (ideally) a quality fruit brandy like Calvados(brandy made from apples - not just any apples. The best Calvados certified by the appellation authorities in France has over a hundred different varieties of apple).

Edited

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
I don’t care what “studies” big booze wants to push on us, a drinking habbit does not have “health benefits”.[/quote]

Actually, the research is legit:

No - drank a bunch in college but not really my thing

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:
I don’t care what “studies” big booze wants to push on us, a drinking habbit does not have “health benefits”.[/quote]

Actually, the research is legit:

[/quote]

Assuming those figures are correct would my no smoking/drinking/drugs, good diet and training 6-7x a week not give me better benefits. Are those “benefits” special to alcohol? Should one start drinking?

I always saw those benefits as a way to justify drinking. Same thing with weed and its “benefits”. If you enjoy it have at it that should be reason enough. Otherwise I feel like any of the benefits can be achieved with a good diet and exercise.

• Did I use the word benefit enough?