Do You Bench Like Dave Tate?

I must have reviewed that video atleast 3 times but when it comes to execution in the gym lately I feel my bench press form is terrible. The reason I think its terrible is becasue I’ve tried benching like Dave Tate says, powerlifting style. The problems I come across: 1) I can’t get a perpendicular angle between my foearms and triceps when the bar hits the chest/upper stomach 2) My wrists get sore 3) I bring the bar to low or to high 4) I can’t find a good length between my arms on the bar.

I can pull off the conventional bodybuilding form for bench press which stresses the pecs more but Dave doesn’t do it that way. It makes me think its not the correct way to bench if you’re doing more strength type training like 5/3/1.

Your thoughts and do you bench like he does in the vid??

Sounds like you’re:

a)Thinking about the angle of your forearms/upper arms too much, everyone has a different groove, do what feels comfortable and what puts up more weight.

b)May require wrist wraps and/or have not adapted to holding onto heavy loads yet and need more time under the bar.

c)Again with overthinking it, what you should be thinking about is staying tight in your arch and using leg drive. Otherwise it will be the same as your bodybuilding form bench. Raw lifters don’t need to tuck their elbows as much as equipped lifters.

d)[quote]I can’t find a good length between my arms on the bar.[/quote] I think you mean how wide/narrow you grip the bar? If so everyones a bit different but whatever you do stick with it throughout your training. If you want to compete in PL the ring must be covered so will want to stay as wide as the rules allow you to for maximum leverage advatages. There are some benchers who are better with a closer grip and there tends to be less chance of pec tear/pulls with a narrow grip.

For a better/different explanation post this in the PL forum.

Anyone with more experience feel free to add or correct anything I’ve wrote.

It would help a LOT if you could take a video of you benching.

i think you’ll find (most powerlifters say) pressing that low on the torso is extremely effective whilst training in a shirt, but not so effective for raw benching. A semi-tucked elbow position is biomechanically probably the most effective position for raw benching.

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:
It would help a LOT if you could take a video of you benching.[/quote]

I’d take vids but dont really have a good cam. Plus the gym dont like when bros bring cams in the gym because of all the ASS in the building, if you get me.

I don’t bench, there I said it, fuck benching

I bench like Tate. Try at least
I used to bench with the good ol’ bodybuilding style with my arms right out to the side, but changed after getting comments from the biggest guys in my gym. Lost a bit of strenght at first, but now i’m far stonger lifting tate style

[quote]ucallthatbass wrote:
I don’t bench, there I said it, fuck benching[/quote]

fuuuuuuck you

:slight_smile:

Fuck you.

Don’t worry about it man… just relaxxxxxx

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

fuuuuuuck you

:)[/quote]

Dude, I used to love benching, and could bench 315 any day of the week. Then a grenade went off in my left shoulder, surgery and 3 years of constant re/pre-hab, and 155 lbs and 75lb dbs make me angry for a week after benching. Elbows out Iron cross style kills, elbows tucked kills, floor presses hurt decently enough. Following Tate’s video, everything still hurts. I have more bones tacks and stitches in my shoulder than a pin cushion.

Dips don’t bother me though, so I just dip, and do push up pluses.

[quote]trav123456 wrote:

fuuuuuuck you

:)[/quote]

Dude, I used to love benching, and could bench 315 any day of the week. Then a grenade went off in my left shoulder, surgery and 3 years of constant re/pre-hab, and 155 lbs and 75lb dbs make me angry for a week after benching. Elbows out Iron cross style kills, elbows tucked kills, floor presses hurt decently enough. Following Tate’s video, everything still hurts. I have more bones tacks and stitches in my shoulder than a pin cushion.

Dips don’t bother me though, so I just dip, and do push up pluses.[/quote]

:frowning: I feel your pain man, do you have any idea what triggered that break in your left shoulder?

Benching 3 times a weeks from 16 years old until 19. Not enough back work, being checked into the boards playing hockey and having my shoulder dislocate, then having my shoulder subluxate for 2 years before the doctor OKed me for an MRI showing that my shit was FUBAR.

Benching 3 times a weeks from 16 years old until 19. Not enough back work, being checked into the boards playing hockey and having my shoulder dislocate, then having my shoulder subluxate for 2 years before the doctor OKed me for an MRI showing that my shit was FUBAR.[/quote]

Thank god I found deadlifts ^^, won’t make that mistake aha

Why is this in the bodybuilding forum?

srsly?

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Why is this in the bodybuilding forum?[/quote]

I don’t understand why a lot of people looking to get into bodybuilding take all their cues from powerlifting where the objective is completely different.

I don’t know of ANY bodybuilders that actually bench press that way. I certainly don’t. When I am bench pressing, I’m doing it to build my pecs, not to leverage as much weight as I possibly can.

Don’t you think someone looking to improve their bench press numbers by benching like a powerlifter would receive better responses in the appropriate forum? Or at the least the question would be exposed to more people providing a wider range of opinions and tips.

This was a reply to Ucallthatbass edit

[quote]mr popular wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I don’t understand why a lot of people looking to get into bodybuilding take all their cues from powerlifting where the objective is completely different.

I don’t know of ANY bodybuilders that actually bench press that way. I certainly don’t. When I am bench pressing, I’m doing it to build my pecs, not to leverage as much weight as I possibly can.[/quote]

I agree in part, but at the same time, bench pressing in a way to build your pecs can be a bit precarious for one’s shoulders, etc. I think learning proper technique from powerlifters can help greatly to find a balance between the PL style and BB style. I know it’s helped me, at least in principle, and in minor things like focusing on a tighter set up, etc.

[quote]bugeishaAD wrote:

[quote]mr popular wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

I don’t know of ANY bodybuilders that actually bench press that way. I certainly don’t. When I am bench pressing, I’m doing it to build my pecs, not to leverage as much weight as I possibly can.[/quote]

I agree in part, but at the same time, bench pressing in a way to build your pecs can be a bit precarious for one’s shoulders, etc. I think learning proper technique from powerlifters can help greatly to find a balance between the PL style and BB style. I know it’s helped me, at least in principle, and in minor things like focusing on a tighter set up, etc.[/quote]

This and this.

Why does everything on this website always have to be so black and white?