Do You Believe in Ghosts?

my theory on the possibility of what we call ghosts.

matter and energy cannot be destroyed, only transferred into another form. so it may be possible that the energy (remember, the body more or less functions by electrical impulses sent from the brain) contained in a body could survive on, prhaps occasionally in some discernable form, after bodily death. seeing as that there have been trillions of creatures that have lived throughout earths history, the odds of this occurring at least a few times seem good.

to me, thats the best evidence for what we call ghosts. not that i actually believe in it, but looking at it from a purely scientific viewpoint, it has some logic to it.

If there’s something strange
in your neighbourhood
who you gonna call?
GHOST BUSTERS!

I was raised native american and I beleive in all of the superstisions.

I have seen weird things in the dester tha tcan olny be linked with ghosts.
one example is I was driving home.
to get home you drive highway an hour outside of town.

then you go 10 mins on a road to get to my road.
my road is an 18 mile stretch of nothingness,
one night couple years back I was driving along and saw a guy on a horse.
he was walking his horse along the road side,not uncommon at all,what scared me was as i approached him he bolted off into the river bottom and vanashed.

now the river bottom is open there is no turns or brush for miles you can see if someone is running in the river but he just turned and dissappeared right in front of me.

another was I was going about 30 mph and saw a coyote running along side of me in the dirt.
I sped up and he sped up.
then he stood up,he stood up on 2 legs and started running about 45mph or so. I then ended up off the road into a ravine because this thing ran into me which threw me off the road.

[quote]Nich wrote:

another was I was going about 30 mph and saw a coyote running along side of me in the dirt.
then he stood up,he stood up on 2 legs and started running about 45mph or so. I then ended up off the road into a ravine because this thing ran into me which threw me off the road.
[/quote]

did he have an Acme rocket strapped to his back?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
If there’s something strange
in your neighbourhood
who you gonna call?
GHOST BUSTERS![/quote]

Not anymore:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/epa_shuts_down_local_ghost?utm_source=onion_rss_daily

[quote]hypnotoad wrote:
Nich wrote:

[/quote]
I am being very serious. heres the veiw from the tow truck I had to get to fetch the car out of the ravine.

in native folk lore we call them Yee-naaldlooshii
or “those that walk on all fours” oe " they go on all fours"
navajo is a weird language with so many meanings for one word anyway
some people call them skinwalkers,
and I am going to leave this thread alone now after explaining myself because this is the only thing that scares the shit out of me and I dont want to risk having any come around here.

[quote]hypnotoad wrote:
my theory on the possibility of what we call ghosts.

matter and energy cannot be destroyed, only transferred into another form. so it may be possible that the energy (remember, the body more or less functions by electrical impulses sent from the brain) contained in a body could survive on, prhaps occasionally in some discernable form, after bodily death. seeing as that there have been trillions of creatures that have lived throughout earths history, the odds of this occurring at least a few times seem good.

to me, thats the best evidence for what we call ghosts. not that i actually believe in it, but looking at it from a purely scientific viewpoint, it has some logic to it.[/quote]

Haha, I hate when people take a scientific theory they don’t understand (quantum theory is an especially common one) and apply it to some ridiculous concept. If anything, the conservation of energy is proof against the existence of ghosts. Electrical impulses in the brain are able to occur because our body converts food into energy. When we stop eating, our body turns to its own fat/muscle for energy, but that can only last so long. Where do ghosts get their energy from? Do they eat? Do they photosynthesize? Such concepts do not hold up to scientific scrutiny, but then again logic does not influence most people’s beliefs.

[quote]Nich wrote:
hypnotoad wrote:
Nich wrote:

I am being very serious. heres the veiw from the tow truck I had to get to fetch the car out of the ravine.

and I am going to leave this thread alone now after explaining myself because this is the only thing that scares the shit out of me and I dont want to risk having any come around here.

[/quote]

Nich, if you would kindly humor me this once, what exactly is so frightening about these things? Are there stories or something I could look up?

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:
My friend is a big time believer. He has many stories.

For instance, his mom (when she was younger) saw her cousin walk by in the wheat field from a distance.

He lives in Germany.

She found out that night that he died.

Creepy.[/quote]

And I keep tellin’ people about my threesome with Megan Fox and a 14-year-old thai prostitute… but that don’t make it true.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Nich wrote:
hypnotoad wrote:
Nich wrote:

Nich, if you would kindly humor me this once, what exactly is so frightening about these things? Are there stories or something I could look up?[/quote]

ok I had a post up but I found a few links that explain it.

http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Skin-walker
http://www.smso.net/Witch_(Navajo)

I understand it seems little illogical and these are interpeted stories,they are not true accounts or anything.

a big thing these people do now is cause auto accidents.
I am sure you have heard of these fatal or near fatal single car accidents where there was no wittnesses,no cause,speed or alcohol or drugs were not a factor.
the car just for no reason veared off and hit a pole,or flipped or something.

Not necesarilly a ghost story but this has to be one of the most fucked up occasions I’ve experienced.

Me and one of my friends were going to a party later. We were just bumming around his house and found a ouija board. We took it out and started asking it questions and whatnot, occasionally getting pretty good answers. I started talking about how people got killed/raped because of theser things. So we’re just fucking around and I notice the window we just closed is open. We close it again. This must of happened about 12-13 times in a hour. Not only that but the door would randomly open and close, and would unlock itself if we locked it. I shit you not.

here are some stories.
I did a google search
everyone has different first hand accounts and its hard to find stories published because no one really talks about it much.

http://dbstorytellingblogs.blogspot.com/2005/10/skinwalker-stories.html

I absolutely believe in ghosts, weird supernatural creepy shit, haunts, spooks, whatever the hell you want to call it. I’ve seen a few weird things in my life along these lines that had no other type of explanation. And I don’t care what anyone says. Science can not explain everything, and even if it could, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is always correct.

I’ve also heard quite a few other stories from people that were also in no way explainable at all.

Here’s another question I have (sorry for the hijack, but it’s sorta along the same lines) especially for the people that do believe in ghosts, or maybe even for those that don’t. Do you believe in like demonic possessions also? And why either way? Also, for those who don’t, how would you ‘scientifically’ go about explaining things like exorcisms, etc?

Kubo

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Not necesarilly a ghost story but this has to be one of the most fucked up occasions I’ve experienced.

Me and one of my friends were going to a party later. We were just bumming around his house and found a ouija board. We took it out and started asking it questions and whatnot, occasionally getting pretty good answers. I started talking about how people got killed/raped because of theser things. So we’re just fucking around and I notice the window we just closed is open. We close it again. This must of happened about 12-13 times in a hour. Not only that but the door would randomly open and close, and would unlock itself if we locked it. I shit you not.[/quote]

I also believe Ouija boards work. Many years ago some friends and I played with one. You ask questions, and it does give you good answers.

One of the things that came through, claimed to be a childhood friend of my father’s, who had died as a child. My father remembered the name and the circumstances.
Eventually, the Ouija board said that what we were doing was opening a channel for evil spirits to come through.
I threw out that thing, and will never play with one again.

[quote]Nich wrote:
hypnotoad wrote:
Nich wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that story. Even though I tend to be skeptical about everything, I also have a deep respect for the old traditions and beliefs.

I absolutely do.

Watch “Ghost Hunters”. the reason I like that show alot is because they do everything they possibly can to disprove things, and some things cannot be explained away.

It doesn’t make sense for someone who believes in religion to not believe in ghosts.

I am a believer that there is more going on in this world than we think.

I played with a Ouija board…once. Me and a few friends when I was 10. We wound up getting ahold of my father, who my mother left when I was 6 months old for being a heroin addict and threatening to do harm to me. Then, he spent a few years talking about kidnapping me before he was stabbed/killed during a drug deal. As soon as he said the full name of who we were talking to, I said ‘goodbye’ and have never touched one again, as this man has always been a very, very touchy subject to my mother. He did a LOT of bad things to her.

I’ve always been curious to this day about what he would have said. However, I never have/will touch one of those things again. And, for the skeptics out there, I had always heard that I was named after him (Michael) from my aunt, as that is what he went by and that was the only thing I had ever heard his name as. My mother had always referred to him as ‘your asshole father’ my entire life the few times he has ever come up.

Well, on the board, he said 'Robert Michael Steg…" and then I hit goodbye. I asked my mother later if Michael was his first name, and she said “No, middle and what he was called. His first name was Robert but he hated it”. I had never in my life heard that…ever. No way I could’ve known it. Only person I knew from that family was my aunt, his sister, and he was ALWAYS Michael to her.

Not something in my subconscious even, and if it was (which it wasn’t) I couldn’t have consciously moved the board to letters that were only in my subconscious. Whole thing still creeps me the fuck out. Fuck those boards. If there is one in your home, throw it out.

It blows my mind that they sell those fucking things in toy stores.

Edit- to the poster above- I feel the same. I find it odd if people are religious and do not believe in ghosts. Also, that was what I thought about earlier in this post with the Ghostbusters song.

“There’s something strange, in your neighborhood. Who ya gunna call? TAPS BITCH!” :slight_smile:

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Nich wrote:
hypnotoad wrote:
Nich wrote:

Thanks for sharing that story. Even though I tend to be skeptical about everything, I also have a deep respect for the old traditions and beliefs.[/quote]

Same here. The links are all very interesting.

I haven’t really had any experience with the supernatural, myself. Of course, I’ve heard many stories, much like the Ouija board tales related here.

One of my mother’s boyfriends apparently had quite the experience with one, it scared him so much he would never tell me about it. What I don’t understand, however, is how a piece of wood manufactured by the Monopoly people can hold such frightening power. Seems off to me. I suppose I should get some people together and try it out myself.

The closest thing I have to relate is in the last house I lived in, there seemed to be some rather strange happenings. It was an old house, somewhat beaten up, naturally we got a good price for it, like any ghost-story house.

Before we moved in, while we were still working on it a bit, taking down wallpaper and such, we would stop by a few times every week to work. One such visit, we (my family and I) were greeted by a flood. The bathtub on the second floor had overflowed, and the water was rushing down the stairs, leaking through the ceiling, and what else.

What was strange was that there was no burst pipe or anything, only the water tap had been turned to full-blast, like someone was drawing a bath. The door had been and remained locked, as far as we knew, we were the only ones with a key, and all the windows were locked and secure, nothing was missing, etc., so the idea that someone came in somehow, only to run the bath and leave without a trace, seemed implausible. There were other things that happened when we first moved in that all seemed to say ‘You’re not wanted here’, various malfunctions or breakages or hiccups, things like that.

The basement was very creepy. It was old, unfinished, and there was a separate room, off to the side, that had a dirt floor and no apparent use. I never once set foot into that little dirt room, it just felt evil. Of course, it did remind me of the red room in the Amityville Horror, which probably had something to do with it. My mother never liked that house, either.

Do I believe in the supernatural? I can’t really say I do. Western science-based culture says no, but an equal number of other cultures say yes. Which is right? It seems to me that it is equally likely as not, of course, as people will tend to see what they want to see.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

The basement was very creepy. It was old, unfinished, and there was a separate room, off to the side, that had a dirt floor and no apparent use. I never once set foot into that little dirt room, it just felt evil.

Of course, it did remind me of the red room in the Amityville Horror, which probably had something to do with it. My mother never liked that house, either.
[/quote]

Yeah, there are places that just feel evil, and while it may just be all in your head, I wouldn’t fuck around with it.

Last time I was in London I stopped by the Imperial War Museum and they had a holocaust exhibit, and that stuff had bad mojo. I know they’re just inatimate objects but I wouldn’t spend any more time around it than I had to.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

The basement was very creepy. It was old, unfinished, and there was a separate room, off to the side, that had a dirt floor and no apparent use. I never once set foot into that little dirt room, it just felt evil.

Of course, it did remind me of the red room in the Amityville Horror, which probably had something to do with it. My mother never liked that house, either.

Yeah, there are places that just feel evil, and while it may just be all in your head, I wouldn’t fuck around with it. [/quote]

I’m still tempted to go back there, break out the Ouija board at midnight in that little dirt room, and go to town.

It would be interesting, to say the least.