Do Women Really Prefer a Dad Bod?

I’m going to answer on behalf of my wife:
She like the fact that I’m broader than most other guys. She is also very happy that I’m stronger then almost everyone she knows. Would she like it if I lost a bit of chub - sure. Depending on 2 things:
1 - her ideal male body is that of an in shape rugby player. The picture below is what she would consider “getting too lean”. So if I got lean it would only be to a point. After that she’s not interested. She does not like seeing abs all the time.

2 - That I were happy. My wife finds me more attractive when I’m fat and happy than when I’m dieting and pissed off. This included low carb shitty moods, annoyed at having to do meal prep again, bad days because I’m losing strength / not getting stronger in the gym. So if losing the dad bod makes me unhappy - the she prefers the dad bod.

rubyg player

4 Likes

Another personal point: I want a fit guy to keep ME accountable.
It’s too easy to let standards slip

1 Like

IMO, that is a great level of body fat. You don’t have to diet like crazy, can still be really strong, look better with a shirt on than if you were leaner (in most cases). I am thinking many women would find that guy appealing. Maybe that is what they are thinking when they say dad bod lol.

3 Likes

Have you noticed that most “silver tongued devils” are conventionally attractive? If the exact same words came from an ugly dude, they probably won’t work.

3 Likes

Same. I’ve had a couple gfs that were 11/10, and that made me step up my game big time.

This is part of the reason that I date girls that are into the gym. Keep each other accountable

1 Like

Man, ya’ll are interesting with the “fit people will keep me accountable” thing.

I’m the one buying donuts and cupcakes for the household. I’m a total enabler. I think it’s because I’m NOT having those things that I want OTHERS to enjoy them in my absence.

2 Likes

100%

3 Likes

oh! I’m the same way.
I love making unhealthy foods and giving them to friends.
It’s actually insane how happy they are about this. One time, I was cooking with a friend. She offered to buy ingredients, let me keep the leftover bacon and was thanking ME for cooking

The point I was making is that the general pop has very low standards of what is “fit” so it’s way too easy to adapt to those standards.
Another aspect is that because of said low standards, most ppl don’t quite understand when I’m disappointed at my numbers when, to them, I “lift a lot”

1 Like

Yeah I think that also. Although I can’t be bothered to get that lean personally. Jonny (the guy in the photo is a world cup winning rugby player) always looked “solid” when he ran out. Like he was made of iron. Even next to guy that where as big or even bigger.

You have no idea how true this is. And its not just accountable. But is about being supportive.

2 Likes

I like this too. It helps when they understand the desires and what it takes to make those desire happen

1 Like

I was asking my friend (that one) about conceptualizing allocation of barbells and racks as a market design problem. Sent him a photo and he called the power racks “exercise machines”…
One of many reasons confirming that it’d never work out

1 Like

I’m working on a a few targets that I’m not 100% will happen. Everyone I tell about them looks at me like I’m stupid. One is 20 squats at 200kg / 440lb.
20 at 200 just sounds cool. Everyone at the gym has reacted in the same way “Dude - that is going to be hard work.”
My wife - “Okay. When are you going to try that then?” Like I was gonna have a go next Friday afternoon.

She has no idea. When I explained to her the amount off effort it is going to take she just looked blankly at me. I could tell she had not frame of reference so to “why” I’d want to. Or why it is so important. So when I’m making sacrifices to hit my targets I know she has not idea why and can’t really get behind them. The odd eat - the fanatical gym sessions - the fact that leg day can scare me to the point I get genuine anxiety attacks.
She tries - but it is not there.

6 Likes

That is not my experience, but maybe I don’t know what women consider visually attractive.

I knew a guy when going to college that looked like Danny Trejo, ache scars and all, without long hair or facial hair, who was one smooth talking guy. He had women hanging all over him. But, if you tell me women find Danny Trejo attractive, I have no business contributing in this thread.

2 Likes

There are exceptions of course. I have a buddy who is 5’2" and looks like he could be a walk on as one of the dwarfs for lord of the rings. He does well with women, but most guys with his body would struggle hard. I also think he would be absolutely swamped if he was conventionally attractive.

1 Like

The other takeaway from this is that your spouse just assumes you are strong and that these tasks won’t be a big deal for you.

My wife has attributed lifts to me that I could NEVER approach, just because I’m her strong husband. I’ve actually warped her expectation of other men, which has been funny.

One time, I was visiting my parents and my dad had sold off some exercise equipment to get picked up on facebook market. 2 dudes show up with a truck and ended up blocking my car in the driveway, so my wife and I are waiting for them to load up the all-in-one plate loadable machine so we can get on the road. Dudes are using tools and taking the machine apart.

My wife gets inpatient and asks me “why don’t they just carry the machine out the door and load it on the truck so we can get going?” I lean into her and say “Because not all men are your husband”.

She blushed.

5 Likes

I bet you get all the grocery bags in the house with one trip.

2 Likes

I worked with a guy that our older female dispatcher felt so sorry for because he was alone and in her words " not very attractive". She was dumbstruck when I had to explain he was a manwhore. The dude knew how to throw a line of shit. Unbelievable the number of attractive women I have seen it work on. We didn’t use the term dad bod back then, but yeah.

1 Like

He probably had something else going for him (personality cannot be underestimated!)

At my school, I see a lot of quite attractive guys dating not so attractive females.
There are also gorgeous girls dating not so attractive guys

My trick is more getting the pallet of green tea, energy drinks and diet soda all in one go, haha

2 Likes