Do Weak Body Parts Really Improve?

even pros cant do it. markus ruhl’s triceps, ronnie coleman’s calves, johnnie jackson’s and juan morel’s quads, evan centopani’s chest, ben pakulski’s back, lionel beyeke’s and flex wheeler’s hams.

i’ve been trying to improve my chest for years but there is little to no progress honestly. My back is a strong point and i can keep building it by 5-6 sets of rows per week.

war against genetics is a lost cause but we keep fighting because giving up is so damn boring IMO.

what do you think?

Are we going to forget about Arnold’s calves?

You can improve weakpoints. If you also train your strongpoints at the same time, they will keep getting stronger too, which will make your weakpoints still be your weakpoints. If you neglect your strongpoints so that your weakpoints will look stronger, they will…but that would be silly.

2 Likes

Good Lord. It’s ludicrous to compare where you are in terms of a ‘weak bodypart’ with where those guys are. Evan Centopani’s chest might not be his most impressive bodypart, but it’s still massive and incredibly developed.

If/when your development is such that you’re bumping up against your genetic limitations like those guys are, feel free to lament weak genetics. Until that point, it’s safe to assume underdevelopment of any given bodypart is due to poor training on your part.

2 Likes

Now I am depressed :slightly_frowning_face:

i dont agree. what i mean by weak is it looks like a joke compared to the strong ones. his chest is so small compared to his enormous delts and arms.

i tried every exercise and every technique known to man but couldnt make my chest a stand out bodypart. i am sure the pros i listed did the same too. for me that proves my point.

you can make small progress but thats it.

You have an athletic build with proportionately long limbs and lean muscles. You’re looking better than 90% of women in our age group.

And all of us are going to look better for trying. But, yeah. If you’re thinking, you’re the chick in the purple up there on the far left? She is never going to look like Michelle Lewin. Lol.

It’s one of many fitness industry lies.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what I am afraid of! Lol

1 Like

i checked who michelle lewin is and i think she is the female version of calum von moger.

he tore his biceps and dislocated his knee back to back, stayed inactive for months and still looks like a greek god. im sure this woman’s buttocks would still be round and full if she was a regular person who did 3 sets of goblet squats per week at home.

genetics is KING. hard work is of course great but there is no competition. ifbb pro dusty hanshaw is a very disciplined and hard working athlete but he gets last callout whatever condition he brings. he has shitty genetics, end of story.

1 Like

Comparison is the thief of joy.

11 Likes

Well, that’s your opinion. But, given the success he’s had, it would seem to be an opinion not shared by individuals vastly more knowledgeable than you (ie, IFBB judges). I’ll let you decide whose opinion (yours or theirs) should carry more weight in a discussion concerning whether his chest is significantly ‘weak.’

Forgive me, but given both your relative newness to weightlifting and overall lack of development, that is an absurd thing to say. You may look at your pics and see a guy with a great back and small chest. But when I–and others, I suspect–look at them, I see a guy who looks like he’s been lifting seriously a year or two–an advanced beginner. True, your chest is not a stand-out bodypart. But that’s because you have no stand-out bodyparts. This is not to throw shade at your physique–you look good, certainly much better that Joe Average. You can walk shirtless on the beach knowing you look better than 95% of the guys around you. But at this early stage, you’re in no position to conclude that this or that aspect of your physique is genetically inferior. If/when you look like a BBer, you can lament the fact that your (huge) chest doesn’t measure up to your (massive) back. Until then, keep your head down and figure out what you’re doing wrong regarding training your chest.

And if you would turn down the music at your pity-party long enough to hear me, you would realize I’m giving you good news, ie, I’m telling you there’s no reason at this juncture to assume your chest can’t end up being really impressive.

@ChickenLittle, no need to feel depressed. You look great!

1 Like

I wholeheartedly believe that everyone can make progress with every body part if they can figure out what has been eluding them. Of course, with that said, genetics will be the ultimate factor in just how far you can improve. You will never know what your genetics have dictated you will be capable of until you unquestionably, and undoubtedly have done everything Possible, in an intelligent fashion, for a long enough duration, with every other variable in an optimally supportive state.

That is why you will see certain athletes, amateur or even pros, on able to bring up some posted weaknesses. In my own opinion, most people who write off being on able to improve certain body parts are fooling themselves as they have been on able to but not that it is truly impossible. The old premise of being a hard Gainer Didn’t help anyone, and merely gave an excuse to countless people in Gyms all over the world.

S

3 Likes

That is exactly what bodybuilders do. It is a game of illusion and making the most of what you genetically have. When bringing up a weak/lagging body part you reduce volume or do enough just maintain on others usually your strong ones.

Saying it is something bodybuilders do won’t make me think it is less silly, haha.

1 Like

Whether you think its a great body part or your weakest, with enough work you will be right either way.

People tend to work harder at what they feel good at.

2 Likes

Thank you and @anon71262119. I will just keep gmawing on it, and hope for the best!

2 Likes

i dont. i always gave my all to the chest workouts but im a ‘beginner’ so what do i know? there is obviously no such thing as bad genetics, there is only poor training. with true hard work, you can achieve ANYTHING in life.

I put that quote up in Spock’s thread once. Profound truth, right there, @FlatsFarmer. And it’s a part of why it’s so hard for us to not feel diminished by the success of other people. I wish that quote was me, but I believe it’s Theodore Roosevelt.

That’s my attitude with regard to Lats. Lol. I’m still optimistic. BTW, it was a sad day when someone told me that glutes are supposed to be bigger than calves. wink.

2 Likes

Not to diminish anyone’s concerns in this thread, because I’ve shared them too, but I can’t help but think #firstworldproblems

Comparison is truly the thief of joy. I’m grateful my body works as well as it does and this society works well enough for us to be able to pursue our physique and training goals and interests.

/rant

5 Likes

Square doesn’t mean bad!
hqdefault%20(11)

4 Likes