Do We Really Need Whey?

[quote]tenken wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
here’s a good reason to have a whey shake instead of milk:

lactose intolerance, way more common than you think

Not a sound argument, as about 90% of the whey used in shakes is derived from cow’s milk if I’m not mistaken. I overlooked this and just made my problem worse over time.[/quote]

Doesn’t Whey powder have a lower lactose level than milk though?

[quote]tenken wrote:
cyph31 wrote:
here’s a good reason to have a whey shake instead of milk:

lactose intolerance, way more common than you think

Not a sound argument, as about 90% of the whey used in shakes is derived from cow’s milk if I’m not mistaken. I overlooked this and just made my problem worse over time.[/quote]

Lactose is a sugar, the source of the whey is irrelevant. The amount of lactose is limited at the upper end by the amount of total sugar in the product, and most good protein powders are filtered to remove that specific sugar entirely beyond that. I think a lot of reported digestive problems with whey have to do with factors other than the lactose sugar. I know plenty of folks who can eat cheese, drink milk, cream, whatever with no problem and get torn up by whey and vice versa. I personally have problems with products containing whey concentrate, but I’m good to go with isolate or hydrolysate.

[quote]Poetikaal wrote:

LACTOSE WARS

[/quote]

That made my day, man.

Yes, whey does have lower lactose (by virtue of lower sugar and, sometimes, the addition of lactase enzyme) but I believe the original question was “do we really need whey?”

and glad I could be of some entertainment :slight_smile:

Yeah, milk vs. whey is kind of like Colon Blow vs. Super Colon Blow.

[quote]thekrown wrote:
So what is a good whey protein?
[/quote]

My article called “The Whey it is” by yours truly covers exactly what makes a “good” whey protein. Do a google search on the title and you will get a ton O hits.

Whey is a complex protein and the answer is not a simple one BTW. Is “good” for you the most protein with the least amount of fat, ash, and lactose, or something else?

[quote]Poetikaal wrote:

LACTOSE WARS[/quote]

LOL. Quite an epic story there.

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
Casein protein takes up to 4-5 hours to go through the metabolic process, whey takes 20-60 minutes to be fully coursing through your system, AA spikes, and completed with the metabolic (synthesis/oxidation) phase.

When you take both, the casein can act as a slow agent, or ‘binds’ the whey reducing the speed it can act.[/quote]

So wait now… does this mean that its possible to replace casein protein shakes by using whey and milk? Whey is alot cheaper than casein, so thats why I’m asking…

I’m glad I got to hear about lactose wars. That’s exactly what would happen if I tried to tame the white demon.

But I handle whey and casein OK. Minor problems with whey concentrate (i.e. Grow!), but whey isolate is great, 0g carbs and 0g fat.

Noone having a clue about this whey + milk = casein replacement thing?

[quote]Dissonance wrote:
Tommy28 wrote:
Dissonance wrote:
Just don’t drink them together.

I tend to do this. Why the suggestion not to pair them?

Casein protein takes up to 4-5 hours to go through the metabolic process, whey takes 20-60 minutes to be fully coursing through your system, AA spikes, and completed with the metabolic (synthesis/oxidation) phase.

When you take both, the casein can act as a slow agent, or ‘binds’ the whey reducing the speed it can act.

In other words, the strength of whey protein is that it floods your system with AA’s and synthesis FAST. Casein does this at a much, much slower rate and at a much less impact/spike.

It gets a lot more complicated, but this is the basic explanation of these two particular proteins. There is also some division of thought when it comes to combining these two together. I am sure some will disagree with me here, but that’s the whole point of havinf a public forum on the issue afterall.[/quote]

Proteins get digested separately, each does not interfere with the other. Whey spikes protein balance, casein prevents a negative balance due to its extended period of digestion.

No fucking whey!!!