Do We Need Haters and Doubters in Our Lives?

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Also, just a question, Rock…but how high are you when you post here?[/quote]

That kind of depends on the time and day man.[/quote]

Don’t you mean time of night?

I thought your kind slept through the day.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

Also, just a question, Rock…but how high are you when you post here?[/quote]

That kind of depends on the time and day man.[/quote]

Don’t you mean time of night?

I thought your kind slept through the day.[/quote]

Nope. We don’t sleep at all, actually. Well, except for those long 100+ year sleeps.

"Shit. there are people I thought wanted me to die…turns out I was in the “why you hatin?” zone and didnt realize they wanted to help me. And when I finally woke up I began to grow as a person. "

This is one of the trickier things to figure out. From whom do you
accept criticism? If they are dogging you to make themselves feel
or look better to their peers or work mates or family, dish it back
in double doses. If you sense that they are truly more concerned with your
well being and success, and, BIG and, they are qualified to criticize what
you are doing, take it to heart and take a long look. For example, you have
405 in the squat rack and a newb comes up and suggests that you put on a belt
for safety, they may have your best interest at heart, but are hardly qualified.
I still struggle with this one and besides.

If I have haters I tell them immediately what I think of their shitty opinion. I don’t need to bust my balls to invalidate their negative bullshit. Outspokenness ftw.

I tend to be a fairly open person, so when I encounter cattiness, as is apt to happen in certain workplaces, they generally turn up their noses at me because I don’t play favorites or pander to a group. I don’t know if I’d use the word hate, but there have been several times where I told one of these people what my intentions were (of becoming a supervisor, amount I was going to sell, whatever) and they were…unbelieving.

I didn’t succeed to prove these people wrong, but it was extra-satisfying because they doubted me in the first place. BTW, once I did prove them wrong, many of them stopped with the cattiness. This could have also been because I was their boss :slight_smile:

[quote]Oleena wrote:
I tend to be a fairly open person, so when I encounter cattiness, as is apt to happen in certain workplaces, they generally turn up their noses at me because I don’t play favorites or pander to a group. I don’t know if I’d use the word hate, but there have been several times where I told one of these people what my intentions were (of becoming a supervisor, amount I was going to sell, whatever) and they were…unbelieving.

I didn’t succeed to prove these people wrong, but it was extra-satisfying because they doubted me in the first place. BTW, once I did prove them wrong, many of them stopped with the cattiness. This could have also been because I was their boss :)[/quote]

…and female. Some of the most hostile work environments I have been in have been when I was the only guy with several older females. Am I alone in noticing that? As their boss, I wonder if you would have experienced the same if you were a guy.

[quote]Oleena wrote:

I didn’t succeed to prove these people wrong, but it was extra-satisfying because they doubted me in the first place. BTW, once I did prove them wrong, many of them stopped with the cattiness. This could have also been because I was their boss :)[/quote]

…and female. Some of the most hostile work environments I have been in have been when I was the only guy with several older females. Am I alone in noticing that? As their boss, I wonder if you would have experienced the same if you were a guy.

[/quote]

I was the boss of ~50 teenage girl volunteers and also trained several keepers who were transfered into the unit. I can only imagine the drama being a male would have created in that situation. Imagine 50 teenage girls in full hormonal swing on one poor dude.

I think it’s difficult any time you are the “other”. I worked in one place where I was the youngest, one of two whites, and one of the only females. That sucked. The two white graduate students who started at the same time as me didn’t last a month.

[quote]earthquake wrote:

No one has haters. I think most people who say they have haters should get over themselves. You are not importtant enough for people to dedicate space in their brain just for hoping you fail. Im not either. No one is.

[/quote]

? I would say most celebrities or pro athletes have haters to some degree. This isn’t some uncommon term. It refers to people who always have negative shit to say about someone when the reality is, the person they are degrading is actually doing better than them in many aspects.

Trust me, if you stand out enough, you will have people who will “hate” you for it. That’s just life and isn’t anything new.[/quote]

I’m not where I want to be yet in terms of my weight and size and I don’t stand out (YET) but I am a lot farther from where I have been and some of my peers. This has driven them to really mock my attempts and goals. What confuses the shit out of me is that we had common goals at some point except I put my pedal to the floor. I think its because some people aren’t where THEY want to be. Just furthering that you don’t have to be ‘important’ or stand out from everyone for someone to hate on you.[/quote]
I completely agree and cna totally relate. I remember there being a time where guys would be “Oh thats cool,Good luck with that” when I mention getting bigger. I progressed and now they tell me “Bodybuilding is for faggots” or “Girls really dont like muscles” At first I couldn’t understand why they’re all against me until I realized that in order for them to feel better they had to bring me to their level. It was sad in a way because I wanted these guys to be my boys and if the shoe was on the other foot,I would hope to bring them up and support them along the way. Now this maybe just with some dudes I hang with now or it could also be human nature,who knows,but very few people would go out of their way to stick with you and support you the whole way through. I’ve decided to cut the doubters out of my life btw.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]earthquake wrote:

No one has haters. I think most people who say they have haters should get over themselves. You are not importtant enough for people to dedicate space in their brain just for hoping you fail. Im not either. No one is.

[/quote]

? I would say most celebrities or pro athletes have haters to some degree. This isn’t some uncommon term. It refers to people who always have negative shit to say about someone when the reality is, the person they are degrading is actually doing better than them in many aspects.

Trust me, if you stand out enough, you will have people who will “hate” you for it. That’s just life and isn’t anything new.[/quote]

I’m not where I want to be yet in terms of my weight and size and I don’t stand out (YET) but I am a lot farther from where I have been and some of my peers. This has driven them to really mock my attempts and goals. What confuses the shit out of me is that we had common goals at some point except I put my pedal to the floor. I think its because some people aren’t where THEY want to be. Just furthering that you don’t have to be ‘important’ or stand out from everyone for someone to hate on you.[/quote]
I completely agree and cna totally relate. I remember there being a time where guys would be “Oh thats cool,Good luck with that” when I mention getting bigger. I progressed and now they tell me “Bodybuilding is for faggots” or “Girls really dont like muscles” At first I couldn’t understand why they’re all against me until I realized that in order for them to feel better they had to bring me to their level. It was sad in a way because I wanted these guys to be my boys and if the shoe was on the other foot,I would hope to bring them up and support them along the way. Now this maybe just with some dudes I hang with now or it could also be human nature,who knows,but very few people would go out of their way to stick with you and support you the whole way through. I’ve decided to cut the doubters out of my life btw. [/quote]

well I helped my friends out and i still got shit afterwards. you spared yourself some time. as arnold would say

if it jiggles…its fat.

[quote]Totenkopf wrote:

[quote]earthquake wrote:

I completely agree and cna totally relate. I remember there being a time where guys would be “Oh thats cool,Good luck with that” when I mention getting bigger. I progressed and now they tell me “Bodybuilding is for faggots” or “Girls really dont like muscles” At first I couldn’t understand why they’re all against me until I realized that in order for them to feel better they had to bring me to their level. It was sad in a way because I wanted these guys to be my boys and if the shoe was on the other foot,I would hope to bring them up and support them along the way. Now this maybe just with some dudes I hang with now or it could also be human nature,who knows,but very few people would go out of their way to stick with you and support you the whole way through. I’ve decided to cut the doubters out of my life btw. [/quote]

That really sucks. I’m lucky enough to have friends that aren’t into fitness or bodybuilding yet don’t care that I am. They’ll give me the occasional compliment and ask how much I can lift, but they would never try to put me down for what I’m doing.

The only time they bust my balls is when we go out to eat because I always modify what’s on the menu to suit my diet (aka adding more protein to the meal without having to order 2 meals) and when the waitress is dumb it can be a pain in the ass. Even then it’s nothing more than friendly ball busting.

I don’t need haters or doubters in my life. I’d rather have positive people around me and at this point in my life I’ve shut most of the negative people out. The only ones I deal with now are at work and unfortunately I can’t shut them out.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I’m lucky enough to have friends that aren’t into fitness or bodybuilding yet don’t care that I am. They’ll give me the occasional compliment and ask how much I can lift, but they would never try to put me down for what I’m doing. The only time they bust my balls is when we go out to eat because I always modify what’s on the menu to suit my diet (aka adding more protein to the meal without having to order 2 meals) and when the waitress is dumb it can be a pain in the ass. Even then it’s nothing more than friendly ball busting.[/quote]

Same here. They will joke around with me…like no matter where I’m going asking if I’m on my way to the gym, but they don’t even do that much anymore. They do their thing and I do mine. They seem to respect it as far as I can tell but they are grown enough to not have that effect them personally.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
I’d rather have positive people around me and at this point in my life I’ve shut most of the negative people out. The only ones I deal with now are at work and unfortunately I can’t shut them out.[/quote]

This has been my burden for the past 15 months. Only 46 days left of dealing with them, though.