Do Vegetable Calories Count?

Should one include the calories of vegetables eaten when estimating one’s total caloric intake for the day?

I read somewhere that our bodies can’t use vegetables as energy sources, only nutrient sources. In-other-words, we get only fiber and nutrients from vegetables, but not their calories. Is this true?

yes, all calories count…but they should be the last thing to cut out and even then probably only when in the final contest prep stages due to the miscellaneous known and unknown benefits they provide.

it’s not that they don’t “count”, it’s just that one would have to eat a massive amount of veggies in order for them to contribute to ones caloric intake in any significant way. even those among us who eat a LOT of veggies still may only eat ~100 calories or so. in other words, they are pretty much negligible.

Where did you read this?

It is called “caloric intake”. If you swallow it, it counts.

Certain ones don’t count.

Here’s generally accepted “free” veggies that you can eat anytime:

Asparagus
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Collard Greens
Cucumber
EggPlant
Fennel
Green Onions
Leeks
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Onions
Peppers
Radishes
Snow Peas
Spinach
Tomatoes
Zucchini

baked potato, sweet potato, squash, legumes definitely count. The stuff above^^^ doesn’t really matter all that much.

[quote]Arms Afire wrote:
It is called “caloric intake”. If you swallow it, it counts.[/quote]

my fiance is tracking calories. How much should she record for my load?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Arms Afire wrote:

my fiance is tracking calories. How much should she record for my load?[/quote]

1 tsp = 5-7 cals mainly fructose actually

WHY?? coz you asked :wink:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1585.html

http://www.chacha.com/question/is-7-calories-for-how-much-sperm

[quote]El Sonido wrote:
Where did you read this?[/quote]

Don’t remember, but it talked about “negative” calories from certain fruits and vegetables. Something about the body having to expend more calories to digest the food than the calories contained in the food itself thus the concept of “negative” calories. It seems eating more of the right fruits and vegetables can actually increase metabolism.

I limited my veggie intake to broccoli and lettuce during my prep, and I didn’t count them at all, which is good because each day I put down a few lbs of broccoli and a bag of lettuce just to get my stomach to stop growling all the time -lol.

S

I’d say they really don’t matter until you get into the single digit range. Just my opinion.

Jason

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Arms Afire wrote:

my fiance is tracking calories. How much should she record for my load?[/quote]

It’s pure protein which most women are low in, you might have to replenish her often :slight_smile:

[quote]FricFrac wrote:
El Sonido wrote:
Where did you read this?

Don’t remember, but it talked about “negative” calories from certain fruits and vegetables. Something about the body having to expend more calories to digest the food than the calories contained in the food itself thus the concept of “negative” calories. It seems eating more of the right fruits and vegetables can actually increase metabolism.
[/quote]

just fyi, the concept of “negative calories” is bunk. all foods contribute to caloric intake. there is no food (no, not even celery) which takes more energy to digest than it provides.