Do This Routine Instead of That Dumb One

Im new on here but not new to the sport KingBeef,s opening routine at the start of this thread is probably one of the most common sense routines ice seen posted. Very well put together!

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
@Kingbeef instead alternating between heavy and volume on arm days , can you just do 2 heavy ?workouts for them?[/quote]

You can but why would you want to? The heavy/volume day work very well.

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
@Kingbeef instead alternating between heavy and volume on arm days , can you just do 2 heavy ?workouts for them?[/quote]

You can but why would you want to? The heavy/volume day work very well.[/quote]

I figured you’d be able to progress on weights faster if you go heavy both days but ill try it out. By supersetting and no rest on arm day, you mean do every single exercise back to back to back?(ie. skullcrushers,curl,pushdown,curl,ect…)

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

You can but why would you want to? The heavy/volume day work very well.[/quote]

I figured you’d be able to progress on weights faster if you go heavy both days but ill try it out. By supersetting and no rest on arm day, you mean do every single exercise back to back to back?(ie. skullcrushers,curl,pushdown,curl,ect…)[/quote]

You don’t have to do it exactly as I layed out, lol. Do w/e you want to do. That’s just what I’d do because I believe it’s superior for arm growth (and less joint irritation) from my experiences.

And yeah you do all of the first bi exercise alternating with the first tri exercise with no rest until all those sets are done then do the same with the subsequent exercises.

Hey king! I have been doing this routine for almost 4 weeks by now and I have a question that may be silly. How did you stay so lean all this time? Did you do some extra cardio or ate really clean?

[quote]tunacake wrote:
Hey king! I have been doing this routine for almost 4 weeks by now and I have a question that may be silly. How did you stay so lean all this time? Did you do some extra cardio or ate really clean?[/quote]

A combination of genetics and eating to gain weight slowly, no more than 10-15lbs per year on average, according to my records.

I follow a simple formula. 1.5g protein per pound of target ripped body weight (for me that’s 200lbs so 300g protein a day) and enough total calories to allow for that slow weight gain.

I’d suggest you use fitday.com so you know what you’re taking in on average and what you need to adjust based on the results you’re seeing. If you’re natural and past the beginner stages, you shouldn’t be blowing up in weight.

[quote]tunacake wrote:
Hey king! I have been doing this routine for almost 4 weeks by now and I have a question that may be silly. How did you stay so lean all this time? Did you do some extra cardio or ate really clean?[/quote]

A combination of genetics and eating to gain weight slowly, no more than 10-15lbs per year on average, according to my records.

I follow a simple formula. 1.5g protein per pound of target ripped body weight (for me that’s 200lbs so 300g protein a day) and enough total calories to allow for that slow weight gain.

I’d suggest you use fitday.com so you know what you’re taking in on average and what you need to adjust based on the results you’re seeing. If you’re natural and past the beginner stages, you shouldn’t be blowing up in weight.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the response! I’m actually using eatthismuch.com which was created by one of the guys in these forums and it has worked great for me. I was curious because you got HUGE and I see you got to keep your abs the whole time. You have posted a bunch of good information in this thread I really apreciate it. Hopefully one day I will post a transformation thread here because to be honest, you inspired me!

Please give some tips and advice to this routine i made.
Keep in mind that i also use 1 warm up set for every exercise but below i will only write the working sets.
Reps of working sets vary from 6 - 12

• Chest -
  • Week 1-2 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
Dumbbell Press 3x
Bench Press 3-4x
Machine Butterflys 3x

• Week 3-4 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
Dips 3x
Bench Press 3-4x
Dumbbell Butterflys 3x

• Back -
  • Week 1-2 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
Straight Bar Pulldowns 3x
Deadlifts 3-4x
Barbell Rows 3x

• Week 3-4 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
V Bar Pulldowns 3x
Deadlifts 3-4x
Machine or Dumbbell Rows 3x

• Shoulders + Legs -
  • Week 1-2 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
Shrugs 3x
Military Press 3-4x
Upright Rows 3x

Leg Raises or Machine Curls 3x
Squats 3-4x
Deadlifts 3-4x

• Week 3-4 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
Side Raises 3x
Cleans 3-4x
Military Press 3-4x

Leg Press 3x
Squats 3-4x
Deadlifts 3-4x

• Arms -
  • Week 1-2 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
Bar Curls 3x
Hammer Curls 3x
Preacher or Concentration Curls 3x

Tricep Dips 3x
SkullCrushers 3x
Pushdowns 3-4x

• Week 3-4 *

Pullups or Pushups 3x
Dumbbell Curls 3x
Hammer Curls 3x
Preacher or Concentration Curls 3x

Tricep Dips 3x
CloseGrip Bench Press 3-4x
Pushdowns 3-4x

Week 5 is Dropsets + Supersets.
Week 5 is Deload Week.

[quote]wannabebig25 wrote:
any tips on feeling the close netural grip pulldowns in just your lats? i get a ridiculous burn in my brachialis of all things lol even using straps. ive played with gripping the handle closer towards me or further towards the weight stack (ive got small hands). perhaps leaning back at a certain angle or over stretching to feel the lats more?[/quote]
lead with chest, arch the back, leading with the chest souds litle but for a while i wasnt doing that. and when i started doing it i felt it so much more in my lats.

Hey Kingbeef, I know your training style has changed a little since you first started this thread so if I were to do a 4 day split would you still recommend the one from page 1?

[quote]Destamoon wrote:
Hey Kingbeef, I know your training style has changed a little since you first started this thread so if I were to do a 4 day split would you still recommend the one from page 1?[/quote]

I’d probably do Legs/Push/Pull or Delts/Arms, Legs, Chest/Back 3 days on 2 days off if you wanted to work out an average of 4 days a week. To me 3 days on 1 day off would be ideal, adjusting volume to suit your recovery capacities.

I totally dig the 3 day on 1 day off routine,the results have been great so far for me. Only issue i’m having is people judging the shit out of me for doing chest and back on the same day lol. I just ignore them though.

Kingbeef I need help creating a specific routine because:

• Biceps grow very quickly and disproportionately so I want to minimize work with them
  • Want to minimize calve work already fairly large and disproportionate, grow very quickly
  • Never trained legs so the leg work I start with i THINK should be low
  • Need to work upper chest more, mid and “lower” chest are bigger while upper is smaller
  • Need to bring up lower back muscles because they are very weak
  • The reason why I have 20 Minutes of incline treadmill walking is because i just want to see how my calves respond to that
  • Want more lat size, although leaning back chinups work biceps they seem to work my lats better than pullups
  • I will stay roughly 2-3 reps away from failure
  • I think i have a weak grip considering adding grip training or will the exercises be enough?

I don’t want to brag about my biceps and calves growing quickly it’s just like that and its not always a good thing sometimes it can be a burden

This routine is probably crap but I am open to advice from anyone wanting to help me create a better routine to help me with my problems:

Mon/Wed/Fri

20 Minute Incline Treadmill Walk
Leaning Back Chinups 2 Sets 8-12 Reps
Barbell Row Overhand Grip 4 Sets 8-12 Reps
Barbell Row Underhand Grip 2 Sets 8-12 Reps
Dips 1 Set As Many As Possible
Incline Barbell Bench Press 4 Sets 8-12 Reps
Incline Dumbell Flyes 1 Set 8-12 Reps
Cable Flyes 1 Set 8-12 Reps
Deadlift 2 Sets 12-15 Reps
Front Squat 3 Sets 12-15 Reps
Standing Overhead Press 3 Sets 8-12 Reps

pictures for proof:

@ 15 5"9 154 pounds and a bunch of health issues (this was last year btw)

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2012/06/12/53009871/progresspic/10LYeVgajiAUATar4tf7Y4GC253ds70988.jpeg

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2012/06/12/53009871/progresspic/1PsUv1KPc6rU8lcjSz0TnQTywEWzgz0533.jpeg

lat on the left side looks smaller because i was taking a pic with camera while trying to flex lat, very hard

• the movements i listed in that routine are my favourite and i would prefer them

ChocolateChips why don’t you just follow one of KBs routines but only include one day of Calves, half the volume for Biceps and add a bit more for Triceps? Or is that to simple?

You are correct about your routine being rubbish. No Arm work, no rear or side delts, no hamstring work, 3 sets for quads etc. Also you can never have calves that are to big, which i doubt yours are.

ChocolateChips why don’t you just follow one of KBs routines but only include one day of Calves, half the volume for Biceps and add a bit more for Triceps? Or is that to simple?

You are correct about your routine being rubbish. No Arm work, no rear or side delts, no hamstring work, 3 sets for quads etc. Also you can never have calves that are to big, which i doubt yours are.

I do not want to alter his routine since I do not have the experience to do so and that would be better left for the advanced to do it is not my area to meddle in because i do not have the experience and i am a beginner.

I restate I am a beginner I disregard isolation work arms/rear/side delts/hamstrings because as stated before my biceps grow very quickly and i think as a beginner the compound movements will be enough for my arms rows/chinups/bench pressing/overhead pressing/dipping etc. the same case for rear deltoids because they will get worked through rowing and other exercises, the lateral deltoids i am not sure about although i assume they will grow throughout the compound movements,

as for the hamstrings i will continue to work on mobility so i can deep front squat which will definitely work my hamstrings along with deadlifts, i do not lie about my calves i sprinted for 4 weeks and i noticed them much larger and this is heriditary my father and grandfather have naturally large thick veiny full calves that make mine look like nothing and i recall my grandfather actually having STRIATED calves i have never seen that before, although i assume when i get older this will happen to me.

my whole assumption may be wrong so please do not think i am doing this to annoy anyone i want to be thoroughly convinced as to why what i am doing is wrong i simply need confirmation and proof to be sure of what i am doing i mean no disrespect

thanks in advance esx

You need to work hamstrings and rear delts directly. It will help keep your joints and posture healthy. Front squats will limit the amount that hamstrings and glutes are worked. Back squats would be better and more sets are needed. Over head and bench pressing doesn’t hit the side delts well enough. Most type of rows won’t hit the rear delts enough.

Pick one of the routines on the front page. Lets say the 4 day and remove one exersice for biceps, and do another for triceps. Remove one of the calve workouts and add in something that you’re weak in. Lower back for example. That routine will work.

Chip… The entire purpose of this thread is to avoid the unnessecary “critique my routine” threads/posts… which is exactly what you just posted in the thread designed to eliminate those. Do you see the irony?

You sprinted for 4 weeks and your calls are “much larger” now? Come on.

Just pick one of KB’s programs and stick with it.

Your mentality of “I don’t need ________ <— insert whatever iso exercise because I’m a beginner/it grows quickly already” is extremely flawed.

1. This will lead to glaring imbalances down the road.
  2. Pretty sure those BP’s aren’t actually that out of proportion.

Gregron i am not lying i am telling you the honest truth

You need to work hamstrings and rear delts directly. It will help keep your joints and posture healthy. Front squats will limit the amount that hamstrings and glutes are worked. Back squats would be better and more sets are needed. Over head and bench pressing doesn’t hit the side delts well enough. Most type of rows won’t hit the rear delts enough.

Pick one of the routines on the front page. Lets say the 4 day and remove one exersice for biceps, and do another for triceps. Remove one of the calve workouts and add in something that you’re weak in. Lower back for example. That routine will work.

esx deadlifts and DEEP front squats should hit the hamstrings enough right? btw the reason i prefer front squats is because i like it more and the fact that i have a big arse so i definitely do not want to back squat. ill take your word for the side and rear deltoids what would you recommend putting in? i do not want to work my triceps directly either because they grow quick as well and i think the compound movements should be enough for them

im still not confident about picking a routine from the front page and editing it because when beginners edit routines and make a thread about it the responses say the routine looks crap so it will be the same case for me its why i asked here i need help from someone advanced