Do This Routine Instead of That Dumb One

what about tempo?
should i explosively push weight up and concentrate on slow negative? how slow?

[quote]bambarumi wrote:
what about tempo?
should i explosively push weight up and concentrate on slow negative? how slow?[/quote]

Yes, always EXPLODE the shit out of the weight. Do not worry about the lower phase on pressing work, just “control” it down over 1-2 seconds.

For back work, you may consider holding the peak contraction for 2 seconds, many have had better results with this type of contraction as this prevents just hoisting the weight with body english.

Hey everyone. Been training MAX OT for about seven months now.

It’s really a great routine. After much experimentation I’ve found just the right amount of volume that I can handle to keep progressing weekly. I also tweaked rep ranges for squats and deads (3-5 opposed to 4-6).

I can’t imagine training any other way to be honest.

Want to give a shout out to Lonnie. Without him I wouldn’t have tried this routine. And KingBeef for making the thread in the first place.

[quote]CraigGold55 wrote:
Hey everyone. Been training MAX OT for about seven months now.

It’s really a great routine. After much experimentation I’ve found just the right amount of volume that I can handle to keep progressing weekly. I also tweaked rep ranges for squats and deads (3-5 opposed to 4-6).

I can’t imagine training any other way to be honest.

Want to give a shout out to Lonnie. Without him I wouldn’t have tried this routine. And KingBeef for making the thread in the first place.

[/quote]

Good job, man. Any progress pics?

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Good job, man. Any progress pics?[/quote]

Will definitely post some after I finish up losing a bit more fat. Currently in that awkward transitioning phase from being bulky to looking flat while still holding onto fat.

Lifts increased quite a bit during these seven months. Which is cool because I didn’t choose MAX OT is great for strength and size gains.

Bench - Start 225 3 sets of 4-6 Now 285 3 sets of 4-6
Deadlift - Start 365 1 set of 3 reps Now 405 two sets of 5 reps
Squats - 225 3 sets of 5 Now… :frowning: 255 3 sets of 5
Dips - +95lbs 2 sets of 4-6
Chins - +60lbs 2 sets of 4-6

I know I’m not real strong by any means, but I think the increases are significant. Before I get dogged on squats, I omitted them from my routine for a while due to lower back pain. I just recently purchased a lifting belt and it’s been helping a ton.

I have gained some weight using max-ot (10-12 pounds in 2-3 months) mostly Fat i think…
cause i can barely see my Abs :frowning:
is this normal?
im thinking about to switch rep ranges to 8-10 and do some cardio 3x week.
Summer is coming FFS
dont want to look bulky on the beach.

[quote]bambarumi wrote:
I have gained some weight using max-ot (10-12 pounds in 2-3 months) mostly Fat i think…
cause i can barely see my Abs :frowning:
is this normal?
im thinking about to switch rep ranges to 8-10 and do some cardio 3x week.
Summer is coming FFS
dont want to look bulky on the beach.[/quote]

That rate of weight gain sounds like its too fast for you. This is why blanket statements like “gain a pound a week” are TERRIBLE for most people. Imagine keeping that up FOR A YEAR or more like I did and ending up with 30-40 extra pounds of fat.

You should DEFINITELY be doing cardio brother, at least 3, maybe 4-5, times a week. On top of that, shave 300-500 calories a day off of your diet. Start here and reevaluate in a month.

This is where individualization comes in. You have to tailor this stuff to your body, and it will take several rounds of making mistakes to get right. It is frustrating at times, but eventually you will be “that guy” who is always in great shape.

Hey, im wondering wich routine you would recommend to a complete beginner who wants to gain as much muscles as possible in the beginning, strength is secondary for me. (trained 3 month, 6,1", about 150 lbs)?

[quote]Highland3r wrote:
Hey, im wondering wich routine you would recommend to a complete beginner who wants to gain as much muscles as possible in the beginning, strength is secondary for me. (trained 3 month, 6,1", about 150 lbs)? [/quote]

I’d say the 4 day split on the first page would be a good start. Just do 3 sets per exercise with just 1 set to failure for the last set of each.

[quote]Highland3r wrote:
Hey, im wondering wich routine you would recommend to a complete beginner who wants to gain as much muscles as possible in the beginning, strength is secondary for me. (trained 3 month, 6,1", about 150 lbs)? [/quote]

I’d say the 4 day split on the first page would be a good start. Just do 3 sets per exercise with just 1 set to failure for the last set of each.[/quote]

Huge looking back in that new avi KB, awesome.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:

[quote]Highland3r wrote:

I’d say the 4 day split on the first page would be a good start. Just do 3 sets per exercise with just 1 set to failure for the last set of each.[/quote]

Huge looking back in that new avi KB, awesome. [/quote]

Thanks man. Been puttin in the work

Any new 2xweek splits a/b/rest/a/b/rest/rest splits?
You told lots of pages before that you will put some, lol!

[quote]artyi wrote:
You told lots of pages before that you will put some, lol![/quote]

I’m not a fan of splits like that for bodybuilding (training whole upper body in 1 day = nty) and don’t see any point in posting a routine that I wouldn’t do myself. If you’re going to train 4 days a week with the goal of building a symmetrical/aesthetic physique, something like the 4 day routine I posted on the first page would be more ideal.

[quote]artyi wrote:

I’m not a fan of splits like that for bodybuilding (training whole upper body in 1 day = nty) and don’t see any point in posting a routine that I wouldn’t do myself. If you’re going to train 4 days a week with the goal of building a symmetrical/aesthetic physique, something like the 4 day routine I posted on the first page would be more ideal.[/quote]

I see. So for aesthetic physique you suggest doing 1 x week muscle workout?
My story is that I’m on TRT right now, which gave me some great gains in the last few months and I’m recovering faster, also I started eating twice more then before.
I can workout only mon-Fri. SO is it better your 5 day split, or 4 day split by giving a rest for muscles in the middle of the week by only doing cardio and abs on that day? What your honest opinion.

Thanks KB.

[quote]artyi wrote:

[quote]artyi wrote:

I’m not a fan of splits like that for bodybuilding (training whole upper body in 1 day = nty) and don’t see any point in posting a routine that I wouldn’t do myself. If you’re going to train 4 days a week with the goal of building a symmetrical/aesthetic physique, something like the 4 day routine I posted on the first page would be more ideal.[/quote]

I see. So for aesthetic physique you suggest doing 1 x week muscle workout?
My story is that I’m on TRT right now, which gave me some great gains in the last few months and I’m recovering faster, also I started eating twice more then before.
I can workout only mon-Fri. SO is it better your 5 day split, or 4 day split by giving a rest for muscles in the middle of the week by only doing cardio and abs on that day? What your honest opinion.

Thanks KB.[/quote]

It’s not that I think training each muscle group 1x a week is better for that purpose, it’s just that it’s better, IMO, than training your whole upper body on 1 day. Even something like training chest and back together in a day is enough of a chore, not to mention also training shoulders and arms afterward. I just don’t see how you’d have the energy if you’re training with the necessary intensity (not saying it can’t be done, it’s just not my preference and I don’t like telling people to do things I wouldn’t do myself).

Otherwise if you can train Mon-Fri, I’d say go with the 5 day split and do cardio after your upper body sessions if you want to.

Looks like Kingbeef has has been secretly doing some ELITE lifts.

It’s not that I think training each muscle group 1x a week is better for that purpose, it’s just that it’s better, IMO, than training your whole upper body on 1 day. Even something like training chest and back together in a day is enough of a chore, not to mention also training shoulders and arms afterward. I just don’t see how you’d have the energy if you’re training with the necessary intensity (not saying it can’t be done, it’s just not my preference and I don’t like telling people to do things I wouldn’t do myself).

Otherwise if you can train Mon-Fri, I’d say go with the 5 day split and do cardio after your upper body sessions if you want to.[/quote]

Thanks for you fast reply.
I’m going to do your given 5 day split. I did it this week. I can say, I loved it. I was sweat after all the workouts, but the worst was shoulder day. I didn’t push hard enough. Maybe because of exercises, I wasn’t used to do. Also, all week I was finding the right weights for reps. So the next week will be more productive I guess.

How would you change the workout days if the leg day would the on monday? Also, when I should make changes to the program (change angle, exercises), after 8-10 weeks? Should I deload after 4-5 weeks?

Thanks KB for your inspiration and help! It is really useful.

bump

[quote]artyi wrote:

Otherwise if you can train Mon-Fri, I’d say go with the 5 day split and do cardio after your upper body sessions if you want to.[/quote]

Thanks for you fast reply.
I’m going to do your given 5 day split. I did it this week. I can say, I loved it. I was sweat after all the workouts, but the worst was shoulder day. I didn’t push hard enough. Maybe because of exercises, I wasn’t used to do. Also, all week I was finding the right weights for reps. So the next week will be more productive I guess.

How would you change the workout days if the leg day would the on monday? Also, when I should make changes to the program (change angle, exercises), after 8-10 weeks? Should I deload after 4-5 weeks?

Thanks KB for your inspiration and help! It is really useful.

[/quote]

If you put legs on Monday, then move Chest to sunday.

Change the workout every 8 weeks or so.

As for deloading, lately I’ve been feeling it’s not a bad idea to just rep some lighter weight for like 3-4 sets of 15 or w/e with no sets to failure or exercises that are harsh on the joints (i.e. french press, hack squats) every 5th week or so. I’m no longer a fan of taking full weeks off of the gym after 8 weeks, mainly because I hate how flat I get, lol. Just did it for the first time the other week and I loved (hated) it (it burns). C_C mentioned something like this a while ago in the t cell, IIRC.

If you put legs on Monday, then move Chest to sunday.

Change the workout every 8 weeks or so.

As for deloading, lately I’ve been feeling it’s not a bad idea to just rep some lighter weight for like 3-4 sets of 15 or w/e with no sets to failure or exercises that are harsh on the joints (i.e. french press, hack squats) every 5th week or so. I’m no longer a fan of taking full weeks off of the gym after 8 weeks, mainly because I hate how flat I get, lol. Just did it for the first time the other week and I loved (hated) it (it burns). C_C mentioned something like this a while ago in the t cell, IIRC.[/quote]

I think I will stick to your plan. As far as I’m doing it, it seems to work. I feel my back and legs really well. The chest is not so sore…
I love working out, so taking a week off is like a punishment for me, lol.
Also, I love your idea of just working that week with light waits.

What changes would you suggest for your 5 day split after 8 weeks? Changing grips, positions or the whole exercise? What are the key points?

P.S. Today was a leg day. I’m really struggling with my front squat, never done that before. Really, hard and challenging for me.