T Nation

Do Tattoos Stretch w/ Muscle Growth?

I’ve read a few of the tattoo threads and people seem to disagree on this, so is there a definitive answer- does hypertropy stretch out tats? If it does can you get them touched up if you need to?

If the underlying muscle gets bigger, the skin has to stretch to cover it. The tattoo is in the skin, therefore, it has to stretch as well. I don’t know how that is debatable.

The question is will it be enough to make a noticeable difference in the tatt? I guess that depends on how much size you gain and the tatt design.

DB

It will stretch if you gain enough size, but it’s not something to stress over. If you do notice it starting to look bad, all you need to do is get a touchup and it will be fine.

I love the optimism of building your muscles so big you need to worry about your tattoo.

Keep that attitude, it will help you get things done

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I love the optimism of building your muscles so big you need to worry about your tattoo.

[/quote]

haha; yeah i know right?

i wish i had that problem.

tell me, is that something you had to deal with Oct. Girl?

[quote]B rocK wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

haha; yeah i know right?

i wish i had that problem.

tell me, is that something you had to deal with Oct. Girl?[/quote]

my only itty bitty tat is on my ankle so not a lot of muscle growth potential there.

I just am a fan of the OP’s attitude. More people should have that, “I will get it done” attitude!

Just as long as your tattoo is not in a location of places where people get stretch marks. Those can kill a tat. I have seen guys that walk the anabolic steroid road with stretch marks and tats. Lets just say it was not pretty anymore.

As everyone else says get it touched up if it looks crappy but I doubt you will have anything to worry about.

If all else fails get a good artist to do a cover up over the tat that has been disfigured. But that chance is a long road off.

You should be more worried about eating well and getting lots of sleep and training hard. But like OG said good additude!

This is a good thread, as I have thought about getting a tattoo myself. But I think I have enough scars already on me to make me think twice.

i’ve got a sleeve tat and my arm has grown a good amount since i got it 4yrs ago…but it hasn’t been distorted.

it looks better on my big(ger) arm.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

[/quote]

Ha, I honestly hadn’t thought about it like that! But yeah, I’ve just started getting serious about strength sports and I’m going to need a shedload more muscle on my skinny ass frame if I am going to get anywhere!

Anyway, cheers for the replies, it’s just going to be a celtic cross on my shoulder, so nothing fancy. I’ll get it done then.

I got a tribal arm band when I was 19(I know, I know…) in Sydney. It doesn’t connect all the way around, there was a small gap on the inside of my arm when I got it.

About a year, year and a half later, I gained about 20 pounds(170ish to 190ish) of muscle. The gap is now about 3-4 inches, where it used to be about 1. That is the only reason it is noticeable, because of the gap. The rest of it looks fine.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
I got a tribal arm band when I was 19(I know, I know…) in Sydney. It doesn’t connect all the way around, there was a small gap on the inside of my arm when I got it.[/quote]

NOOOOOOOO!!! Friends don’t let friends get tribal! Especially one that doesn’t connect. Where were your liberty buddies when you were in Sydney? LOL - jk

Like everyone else on here has stated, you really don’t need to worry about it much. You’re talking about a lot of size you’ll have to pack on before your art will begin to distort. Unless you get a piece that depends a lot on very straight lines which could get slightly wavy.

If you’re really worried about it, talk with your artist about placement. That is actually a big part of get a good tattoo…something that flows with your muscles. Guy Aitchison is one of the best artists out there and can tattoo things that are beyond believe. Using a “figure 8” design he can do a sleeve that works with an arm in way that would blow your mind. True art!

Get a ruler tatoo around ur arm so everytime your arm grows you can tell how much it grew by.

One of these days I’m going to do a Mad magazine foldout on my lats.

Elephant ears on the pelvis won’t stretch.

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
Get a ruler tatoo around ur arm so everytime your arm grows you can tell how much it grew by.[/quote]

I really hope you don’t actually think that would work :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Lohryx5 wrote:
NOOOOOOOO!!! Friends don’t let friends get tribal! Especially one that doesn’t connect. Where were your liberty buddies when you were in Sydney? LOL - jk
[/quote]

Hey, it was 96…and I was young…and…and…SHUT UP!

Hey boatguy, it’s okay. Tribal got really big after Leo Zulueta made it popular here in the states. It just kinda got a bit…uh…out of hand.

BTW, where you stationed? I’m on the “Big E” over in dry dock. :frowning: