T Nation

Do Squats Hinder Growth??

hey all-

I heard that doing lots of heavy weight squats for lots fo reps could hinder growth? is that true?

Btw, im 17.

No.

Possibly.

If by growth you mean growing bodyfat levels then the answer is yes. Otherwise the answer is a very loud NO! for people 17 and over.

no

[quote]spacekillers wrote:
hey all-

I heard that doing lots of heavy weight squats for lots fo reps could hinder growth? is that true?

Btw, im 17. [/quote]

What was the justification for that statement?

I’m looking for something like “Heavy weight squats for lots of reps hinders growth BECAUSE…”

But I think whatever reason the person had for saying that, it’s definately not true.

That’s like saying “lifting heavy weights prevents growth” and we know that’s not true.
The two ways to grow that I’ve found is lifting heavy weights, and lifting as heavy as you can go with higher reps. (obviously diet comes into play…gotta eat to grow. If you don’t eat, you don’t grow).

Squats are probably one of the biggest muscle stimulating exercises that can be done, along with deadlifts in my opinion.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:

The two ways to grow that I’ve found is lifting heavy weights, and lifting as heavy as you can go with higher reps. (obviously diet comes into play…gotta eat to grow. If you don’t eat, you don’t grow).
[/quote]

I think the “growth” that the OP was talking about was growth in height, not growth in muscle mass. Of course the answer is still an unequivocal “NO.”

The urban myth that weightlifting will somehow damage the growth plates in your bones has been floating around for any number of years, but there’s little to no evidence to support it. As long as you’re squating with proper form, there’s no reason to suspect that you’re hurting your bones in any way.

Playing rugby or hockey or jumping out of a second story window for shits 'n giggles are all much easier ways to damage your growth plates.

if u think so…

but it will not! squats can only make you bigger, everywhere

How could anyone possibly ever know if weight training stunts your growth?

if I knew what I know now, I would not shake my head with those kinds of dilemma when I was a teen

My advise is just focusing on the image you wanna have and that’s it, if you Believe, you get

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

I think the “growth” that the OP was talking about was growth in height, not growth in muscle mass. Of course the answer is still an unequivocal “NO.”

The urban myth that weightlifting will somehow damage the growth plates in your bones has been floating around for any number of years, but there’s little to no evidence to support it. As long as you’re squating with proper form, there’s no reason to suspect that you’re hurting your bones in any way.

Playing rugby or hockey or jumping out of a second story window for shits 'n giggles are all much easier ways to damage your growth plates.[/quote]

Ditto that.

The only exception is continued, repeated MAXIMAL strength (max testing) for young teens. If you avoid doing 1 rep maxes every week, week in and week out as a teen under 17, you’re fine. You’re 17, long bones have mostly already grown to full length, so don’t sweat it.

Heavy squats for high reps = good. Now that you’re 17, you can even get away with doing repeated max testing lifts with no harm.

[quote]stefanogym wrote:
squats can only make you bigger, everywhere[/quote]

Squats for ‘natural male enhancement’!

I think high volume and high intensity squats WILL stunt your growth. Like 10 sets of 50 reps @ 1000 lbs. will probably stunt your growth…that’s why I never do that program. OK, there are other reasons too.

TNT

It’s very hard to know for sure, however there also may be other things that could possibly stunt your growth. Alcohol, smoking, estrogen, inadequate sleep. Yet I don’t see a lot of teens worrying TOO much about these factors.

People are just worried about squats and overhead lifts because it “makes sense” that they would make you shrink; and because they see olympic lifters who lift from a very young age, they tend to be pretty short.

The fact is these guys are stocky and have good leverages for their weight classes or they would have been weeded out of the sport a long time ago. If you look at American football and basketball, then people might assume the opposite, that weight training and squats actually enchance your growth, because most of the players are very tall/have wide and long limbed body types.

Most of your growth in your teen years will come from the growth plates in your legs. While it’s possible (but unlikely) that squats will damage those, it is more likely to me that other factors contribute more, therefore you shouldn’t really worry about it.

nope…squat away!

I’ve actually had a bit of a growth spurt since I began weightlifting again. It will probably help you grow more and it will improve your posture.

Lifting weights does not stunt a persons growth? An individuals height is determined by their genes.

[quote]LIONZ wrote:
An individuals height is determined by their genes.[/quote]

Not true. Environmental factors, such as certain substances, play a role.

[quote]zenomaly wrote:
LIONZ wrote:
An individuals height is determined by their genes.

Not true. Environmental factors, such as certain substances, play a role.

[/quote]

What kind of substances?