Do Some Muscles Recover Faster Than Others?

Apparently, certain muscles recover quicker than other muscles. Which muscles recover quicker, and why do they?

Forearms and calves. Not really sure why.

Oh yes. Biceps, abdominals usually recover very fast for most. Calves for some as well.

the body parts that are used the most, and the most frequently throughout a normal day of life, are the ones that recover faster. Calves, forearms, bis, tris. you walk, and grip things, and use your arms all day every day, which is why it is hardest to really blast the shit out of them at the gym, and consequently, why they recover faster.

Slow twitch dominant muscles recover faster because they have more mitochondria. Calves and forearms are very slow-twitch dominant.

They have gotten used to sustained effort day in and day out, and have to function even after heavy use.

[quote]Amonero wrote:
Slow twitch dominant muscles recover faster because they have more mitochondria. Calves and forearms are very slow-twitch dominant.

They have gotten used to sustained effort day in and day out, and have to function even after heavy use.[/quote]

Not to hijack but do you have a log anywhere with your transformation. Very impressive!

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]Amonero wrote:

They have gotten used to sustained effort day in and day out, and have to function even after heavy use.[/quote]

Not to hijack but do you have a log anywhere with your transformation. Very impressive![/quote]
I believe he has a thread in the Performance photos sections or the Rate my physique section.

[quote]PikaHulk wrote:
Apparently, certain muscles recover quicker than other muscles. Which muscles recover quicker, and why do they?[/quote]

Definately muscles used in day to day life, but also smaller muscles. For instance, according to Columbu the back takes 100 hours to recover while the arms can take 24 or 48.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

[quote]PikaHulk wrote:
Apparently, certain muscles recover quicker than other muscles. Which muscles recover quicker, and why do they?[/quote]

Definately muscles used in day to day life, but also smaller muscles. For instance, according to Columbu the back takes 100 hours to recover while the arms can take 24 or 48.[/quote]
Interesting, where does he state this so? Does he provide hints about the recovery speed of other muscles?

I think a lot of it is individualistic too. I find my back (lower and upper) recovers pretty fast, but my legs and hips take forever to recover. I had a friend who was the other way around.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I think a lot of it is individualistic too. I find my back (lower and upper) recovers pretty fast, but my legs and hips take forever to recover. I had a friend who was the other way around.[/quote]
How do you know if your muscles have recovered or not?

I heard abs were fast twitch. I also heard they were slow-twitch. I heard pecs were fast-twitch. I also heard they were slow twitch. What the hell? Should I train certain muscles more often than others or not?

My quads take a week to recover. Just about anything else I can train twice a week. I don’t know why that is because the volume is about the same for everything.

[quote]PikaHulk wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I think a lot of it is individualistic too. I find my back (lower and upper) recovers pretty fast, but my legs and hips take forever to recover. I had a friend who was the other way around.[/quote]
How do you know if your muscles have recovered or not?[/quote]

When there isn’t any soreness and I have all my snap and explosiveness from that group.

Also, recovery of muscle groups is largely a part of your work capacity. I used to think that I couldn’t train legs twice a week, but since I started powerlifting routines nearly a year ago, I find that I can easily train lower body twice a week when before that would have crushed me. However, my lower body still takes the longest to recover.

[quote]PikaHulk wrote:
Should I train certain muscles more often than others or not? [/quote]

Ah here for me is the interesting question. For me arms recover fastest, legs slowest.
I could probably train chest and back twice a week but legs only once without droping volume. would it be reasonable to change my program to allow this?
I’m not actually going to I like my current split, but in the future I might like to do more frequency.

Your body will adapt to nearly everything you throw at it. I train back 4x/week, I train legs 2-3 times and I train arms 2-3 times each week, calves is 5 out of 7 days. Sucked at first, now it’s routine.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Your body will adapt to nearly everything you throw at it. I train back 4x/week, I train legs 2-3 times and I train arms 2-3 times each week, calves is 5 out of 7 days. Sucked at first, now it’s routine.[/quote]

It’s obviously working too!

Your body will adapt to nearly everything you throw at it. I train back 4x/week, I train legs 2-3 times and I train arms 2-3 times each week, calves is 5 out of 7 days. Sucked at first, now it’s routine.[/quote]

What does your split look like?

[quote]punkguitarist wrote:

What does your split look like?[/quote]

Monday: AM: chest/shoulders PM: (5 hrs later) triceps/biceps/calves
Tuesday: deadlift/quads/hamstrings
Wednesday: back/calves

And repeat

Monday: AM: chest/shoulders PM: (5 hrs later) triceps/biceps/calves
Tuesday: deadlift/quads/hamstrings
Wednesday: back/calves

And repeat[/quote]

Daaaammmnn, and you don’t take days off either right? I figured that you put your work in at the gym, but that much frequency is nearly unbelievable.

Nice job